Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Days and Nights - Official Discussion Thread

I like it all in concept. I look forward to it. Especially Vamp/Lyc and "crystal farming" for additives, At least while you are beating them down to gather needed resources, there will be something to gain.
To echo others though, I think 40 minutes is much too short. A three to 4 hour window for a day/night cycle would be preferrable..say 90 minutes a piece balanced with seasonal adjustments.
Overall, well done.

Heh, the Hunger crystals sounds a lot like the zombie infected idea I proposed yesterday. Pretty cool.

I agree with everyone that monster moving from infected to non infected every day doesn't fit that well with the Lore.

But that is only if we only have to stages non-infected and full infected. I remember we are supposed to have multiple stages (I think i saw somethin like 4) to go from normal Mob to full infected. If All night did was move the MOBs one stage ahead that would perhaps be okay.

We could just say Hunger's influence is stronger at night.

The Hunger Crystals could also do the same. An Hunger Aura that corrupted nearby Mobs. NIght + Hunger Crystals (+2 infection stage) should be something to avoid.

Crowfall_HellcatConcept.jpg

We might need more stages though. The changes between stages are bigger than I remembered....

Edited by BarriaKarl

2 hours ago, Durenthal said:

The day/night variation on monsters is interesting, but doesn't fit well with the lore, frankly.  The hunger-version of mobs disappearing at dawn feels meh.  "Winter is coming" feels better than "night is coming for 15 mins soon"

At dawn, the infected NPCs will shatter and turn to dust, replaced by new (un-infected) variants that will respawn at their home location.

Yea that just seems a bit cheese.

What would be neet is if they had a more realistic life cycle. 

Something along the lines of uninfected day critter that is close enough to a hunger crystal at night turns to an infected with say +5. When day comes it remains infected, but goes to +1. When night comes again, and it's survives the day, it's +7 this time around. Next day, +3, where it stays wobbling between +3 - +7 on the day/night cycle until slain.

Early seasons, the wobble could be lower +1- +5, late +6-+10

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

18 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

But that is only if we only have to stages non-infected and full infected. I remember we are supposed to have multiple stages (I think i saw somethin like 4) to go from normal Mob to full infected. If All night did was move the MOBs one stage ahead that would perhaps be okay.

We might need more stages though. The changes between stages are bigger than I remembered....

It was originally 4 stages, but they said a while back that they are changing it to 2 stages for budgetary reasons. Though they also said at the beginning that they were doing archetypes for budgetary reasons and they later switched to race and class, so maybe this is something they will revisit. If they do decide to add more stages, even post launch, it shouldn't be that hard to integrate into the existing system.

I like the idea of the hunger shards spawning and converting the mobs. That seems much more fluid and dynamic to me. It would be really, really, really cool if there were animations associated with all of it. Instead of having the hunger shard just pop into existence and mobs going poof and being replaced with corrupted versions, imagine if the shards actually rose up out of the ground and the mobs transformed. I'm sure that would be a lot more expensive to do and probably not very performance-friendly, but it would be awesome to see.

has Todd already decided the right names for the seasons?

I would love for them to have ties to the gods... for example

season of blossom/plenty/innocence/music  (Cybele), Season of plenty/prosperity/life (Gaea), Season of reaping/fate/magic (Yaga), Season of Mourning (no gods here).

The daycycle is interesting, cant wait to see the strategic implications to how vision, stealth, magic or siege rules might be affected...

maybe you cant siege during night because the power of the banewood would simply go loose and spawn zombies all over the attackers? maybe causing an infection to the area that the defenders need to take care of the next day as someone proposed in one of the flies on the wall (instead of a siege).

Also im interested to see how you will make the world actually dangerous at night... just stronger mobs of course helps but probably isnt enough. Maybe you could give monsters more creative behaviours that make them dangerous, like hellcats jumping from stealth at night (avoidable if you hear their sounds or have perception), zombies might be drawn towards caravans from a large distance (turning them into just one more annoyance to deal with), giant birds might make loud sounds to attract other players (who we all know are the real danger out there), spiders might build ambushsites that feature nets that have to be cut down before you can leave the area, so you not only have to fight the spider over just outrunning it, and you become an easy target if another player finds you in that position...

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

40 minutes ago, Arkade said:

It was originally 4 stages, but they said a while back that they are changing it to 2 stages for budgetary reasons. Though they also said at the beginning that they were doing archetypes for budgetary reasons and they later switched to race and class, so maybe this is something they will revisit. If they do decide to add more stages, even post launch, it shouldn't be that hard to integrate into the existing system.

Wah, this sucks. It is the first time where money becomes a issue as far as I am concerned.

Not sure how only two stages will work. The Mobs changing with seasons was a very big part of the game basic view.

5 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

Wah, this sucks. It is the first time where money becomes a issue as far as I am concerned.

Not sure how only two stages will work. The Mobs changing with seasons was a very big part of the game basic view.

Two appearances maybe, but that does not necessarily mean only two difficulty ratings or powers. I imagine they may have the flexibility to use the discipline system with critters as well.  Imagine MOB's that can slot a random set of specific to MOB disciplines when spawned.

I don't mind the idea and mystery that when you face a hunger infected critter, that your not sure if its a tough as nails horror, or a weaker step cousin, just by looking at it.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

I would like to see a variable length in the day/night cycle. I don't want it to always be night or day if I tend to play a specific times during the week. 

But overall, 5.7 is shaping up to be a great addition to Crowfall.

Edited by Zatch

Just now, Zatch said:

I would like to see a variable length in the day/night cycle. I don't want it to always be night or day if I tend to play a specific times during the week. 

Any number that does not divide into 12 would do that.  

2:15, 3.:30, 4:30 hours, 5:00 hours, 7:00 hours, 9:00 hours would all cause a rolling start end on the 24hr clock.

5 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Any number that does not divide into 12 would do that.  

2:15, 3.:30, 4:30 hours, 5:00 hours, 7:00 hours, 9:00 hours would all cause a rolling start end on the 24hr clock.

I guess I would rather have it be less predictable than a set amount of time. An astrology skill line could be added in the exploration sphere that lets you know the exact length of time it would be day/night. 

Edited by Zatch

Just now, Zatch said:

I guess I would rather have it be less predictable than a set amount of time. An astrology skill could be added that lets you know the exact length of time it would be day/night.

I don't agree.  It's going to be hard enough to organize groups as is. Trying to plan on an essentially random cycle would be way harder.

What they could do, is make this a campaign setting.  Some campaigns being tied to the "real" world, some tied to faster cycles, and even some like you want, random.

As a campaign specific setting, they would have all the flexibility in the world.

2 hours ago, Kraahk said:

Mostly what durenthal said.

40 minutes cycle with monster metamorphosis might be ok for test. Can't really imagine this in the campaigns,though. Playing several months in the same campaign and the monsters all the time changing their bodies every x minutes - strange.

It think for me it would feel better if the spawners change by a certain chance per each season. So may be in spring 5% of them would become winter spawners, 15% in summer, 50% in fall, 95% in winter. Changing both the optic of the diorama and the hunger-type of the monsters (or their chance to be this or that variation). It would also provide some variation, because it's only by a certain chance. It could also be used to link the spawn types to the current campaign result. Let's say if order is on top (who fight the hunger), it would lower the possibility for winter spawners, while if chaos rules the chance gets higher.

However, day/night/moon cycle being meaningful is a great thing. How about moonstone and moonsilver, glowing only at night, usable as components for weapons/armor/buildings? See my banner glow at night. And ... welcome to the Moonshine-Citadel! xD

Similar to this as seasons progress The day night cycle could get longer.  Earlier in the campaign we could have longer days and shorter nights.  As the season progress we could have shorter days and longer nights.  All this could be reinforced with some cool moons and other skyline features.   A harvest moon would be cool.  This would give us ability to have longer grow cycle and as winter approaches things get tougher and more dangerous for longer periods of time.

8 minutes ago, Zatch said:

I guess I would rather have it be less predictable than a set amount of time. An astrology skill line could be added in the exploration sphere that lets you know the exact length of time it would be day/night. 

The actual lengths of day and night will change as the campaign ages. Days will get shorter and nights longer. I'm not sure how much variance there will be, but as Krakken said, as long as the length of the day isn't divisible into 12, it should be fine. For example, if it's a 5 hour day, then night is going to fall at different times each real world day.

10 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

I don't agree.  It's going to be hard enough to organize groups as is. Trying to plan on an essentially random cycle would be way harder.

What they could do, is make this a campaign setting.  Some campaigns being tied to the "real" world, some tied to faster cycles, and even some like you want, random.

As a campaign specific setting, they would have all the flexibility in the world.

I don't disagree that it would be a tremendous pain to deal with. I do however like the idea of adding more skills into the exploration tree. I feel like with VIP a significant amount of people are going to have trained crafters who are not actually interested in crafting. In reality though it may be to painful to deal with.

I like everything about this post with the exception of modified creatures being tied only to the day/night cycle.  I'm not sure entirely how I feel about that one.  I think as a progression it should be tied more to the season than the time of day, but in a variable way. 

Perhaps something like:

Spring 60% day/40% night, and 15% of your monster spawns at night are hunger infected.

Summer 50%/50%, and 25% of monsters at night are hunger

Fall 40%/60%, 50% of monsters at night and 15% of monsters during the day

Winter 25%/75%, and 90% of monsters at night spawn hunger infected, and 60% monsters during the day

I also think the 4-5 hour window most are suggesting for the cycle would feel good.  Variable, but not frenetic. 

2 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

i dont think it was just about money - i think they also mentioned the performance impact of every asset having to have x4+ seasons versions or whatever was big too...and just design time overload having to plan and make the x4 sets...[and work with a diverse set of base biomes etc]

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png