Find results in...

Days and Nights - Official Discussion Thread

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40 mins for the length of a day sounds awfully fast to me, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it implemented. Vampires and Werewolves - meh.  If they're strong at night and weak during the da

The day/night cycle is just around the corner! Get a first look here. FULL STORY

Mostly what durenthal said. 40 minutes cycle with monster metamorphosis might be ok for test. Can't really imagine this in the campaigns,though. Playing several months in the same campaign and th

I share the opinion that Hunger-infected npc's should only spawn in and around areas with Hunger Shards present.  The players would then have to actively choose between farming the Infected for unique resources, or destroying the Shard to reclaim pre-existing nodes.  Depending on how fast these things spread, the cull vs. preserve game could be an interesting one.

On a larger scale, the Hunger Shards spreading across the map could create a sort of timing mechanism for the campaign.  If too much of the world is Infected with Shards, it could trigger a significant increase to the passing of the seasons and cause a premature end to the campaign.   A low population world may not have enough of a critical mass of players to prevent this, providing an organic mechanism to speed up the end of "dead" campaigns.

I think changing npc behavior and loot tables for a day night cycle would be a positive addition to the game.

However leave morphing and the hunger transition tied to the seasons. Players should have to stick around to the latter end of the campaign to experience that content. Quitters don't deserve it, I remember reading a statistic somewhere that when WoW had 13 million subscribers, only 8% of them had ever seen the gods summoned in Alterac Valley Battlegrounds. 

This D/N cycle would be great for a lot of things like mount speed, enchanted weapons, or jewelry. Which would force players to carry a day set, and a night set, leading to more loot in their bags. 

I too want the D/N cycle to have weight but this is something I'm not looking forward to dealing with. Not everything has to affect your powers/skills in such an obtrusive fashion. It's becoming slightly Garish that everything has to touch powers.  

the day/night cycles will have the ability to fire triggers in the Crowfall Powers system that can apply global effects on all players.

such as giving particular Races increased statistical bonuses at nighttime, increasing the efficacy of certain powers during daylight

I plan on spending quite a bit of time and resources outfitting my avatar for combat, and every detail such as Skill Training, Disciplines, Advantage/Disadvantages, Gear Stats, Vessel Stats, Weapon Stats will have to come under consideration if I want optimization. And it runs counter intuitive to my planning that every 40 minutes my Suppression Shot ticks for 3 seconds instead of 6 seconds.

The Day/Night cycle can't be player controlled to affect combat buffs/debuffs.

Is this what you want to see in global chat,

Corvax: Hey Tark I got your head

Tark: FU Corvax it's night time try that during the day.

Corvax: /sigh... ok but that's in another 20 minutes. 

Think about it, there is a lot of planned content that could use some love from these ancillary systems, no reason to jam it all on top of Combat Skills. I'm not against it; I'm just suggesting moderation. There should be more character development that interacts with the world than just combat and crafting training. I am hoping Exploration opens up compatible uses for D/N cycle, Chicken Ticker, and Sacrifice.

5 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Someone has a "type". :rolleyes:

I am just waiting to see what kind of armor the CF team will say a Fae wears.  I think my character type will be whatever is smaller and harder to see.  I know it wont effect aiming because the pill size will still be the same.  But, size is one of those things that the eye does catch. 

This was an amazing update. Definitely feels like there will be so much opportunity with these new systems in place.

I agree with others that it would feel better to have more subtle mob transitions for day/night cycles over the seasons.

If the goal is to get the assets into a campaign sooner then it might make sense to only have the creatures that gain the hunger effect relate to an area where, like, more than one hunger shard exist. Like a more concentrated affliction, "befouling both land and creature alike", sorta vibe. This way they exist as long as the shard exists (not disappearing but rather because they are an obstacle *wink-wink*) instead of just during the night time.  Alternatively, trading for day/night transitions as more subtle overall effects like, slightly "bristled/grizzled" to start, maybe even with glowing eyes, then moving towards a more diseased look with a greater occurrence of shard-warped creatures/beings(more potent shards, maybe? higher node armor?), ultimately transitioning into a constant fully-warped state. ..Or maybe just glowing eyes and particle effects since people seem to be saying the team already expressed that this a budget decision -- ex-deee!

Probably not everyone's lighting preference, but it would also be cool to have the days start to feel a bit darker, just aesthetically, when the variance of day to night begin favoring darkness.

Honestly, I will love whatever these guys do. The vision for the game is really...fleshing... out nicely. It will be a... night and day... difference to now. Truly a...sight...to...see.

Ok, that's it.

I promise.

Edited by Lightsig
xD

Most satisfying infodrop in a while!  Thank you for giving me something fun to think about.

It's been a blisteringly rough year so far with work. I haven't had much time/energy to keep up with Crowfall progress.  It's fun news like this that renews my interest and keeps me feeling connected.  I'm glad I dropped in today!

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

40 mins may be a little short i think i feel day time should be a little longer than night time.

Here a suggestion aswell, have day night cycles different in length for the seasons to reflect world difficulty somewhat. Spring/Summer the day cycle is longer but when we start moving into autumn and winter that days get shorter and nights get longer.

I am loving the little details that help immerse yourself in the game, would love to see a nice weather system eventually aswell :D Heavy fog may lower visability and all that would be a rather neat aspect of the game especialy around swampy terrains and things (However being able to just turn them off in setting would be a no go other wise thats what everyone will do since it be more advantage to do) Snow and blizzards would be rather handy too maybe slowing movement down a little when going through a blizzard and all that :)

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

our goal was to make the day and night actually feel different – more like the day/night cycle in Ark or Minecraft

I'm very positive about having environment changing with the cycle day/night.
As a player of Minecraft, I reckon forty minutes is not a short time to dedicate a task, before having to face a greater risk (by hiding or fighting).

However in Crowfall we have no sheep to shear for a bed ;) , so I agree the duration of cycle needs to be evalued during tests.

29 minutes ago, veeshan said:

Here a suggestion aswell, have day night cycles different in length for the seasons to reflect world difficulty somewhat. Spring/Summer the day cycle is longer but when we start moving into autumn and winter that days get shorter and nights get longer.

Each season, we will shift the balance of day and night per day... the campaign will start to lean more heavily on night. In the first iteration of the system, we plan on long days/short nights in the spring/summer and short days/long nights as the season progresses into fall/winter.

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

10 hours ago, corvax said:

I think changing npc behavior and loot tables for a day night cycle would be a positive addition to the game.

However leave morphing and the hunger transition tied to the seasons. Players should have to stick around to the latter end of the campaign to experience that content. Quitters don't deserve it, I remember reading a statistic somewhere that when WoW had 13 million subscribers, only 8% of them had ever seen the gods summoned in Alterac Valley Battlegrounds. 

This D/N cycle would be great for a lot of things like mount speed, enchanted weapons, or jewelry. Which would force players to carry a day set, and a night set, leading to more loot in their bags. 

I too want the D/N cycle to have weight but this is something I'm not looking forward to dealing with. Not everything has to affect your powers/skills in such an obtrusive fashion. It's becoming slightly Garish that everything has to touch powers.  

the day/night cycles will have the ability to fire triggers in the Crowfall Powers system that can apply global effects on all players.

such as giving particular Races increased statistical bonuses at nighttime, increasing the efficacy of certain powers during daylight

I plan on spending quite a bit of time and resources outfitting my avatar for combat, and every detail such as Skill Training, Disciplines, Advantage/Disadvantages, Gear Stats, Vessel Stats, Weapon Stats will have to come under consideration if I want optimization. And it runs counter intuitive to my planning that every 40 minutes Doggett farts in the art lab and my Suppression Shot ticks for 3 seconds instead of 6 seconds.

Now this wouldn't be a problem if  WINTERBLADES could lock down the art department and cork up Doggett's hiney hole, thereby making your Suppression Skill tick for 3 instead of mine, but the Art Department has yet to be made a POI and put in game. So like the Day/Night cycle, the art lab, can't be player controlled to affect combat buffs/debuffs.

Is this what you want to see in global chat,

Corvax: Hey Tark I got your head

Tark: FU Corvax it's night time try that during the day.

Corvax: /sigh... ok but that's in another 20 minutes. 

Think about it, there is a lot of planned content that could use some love from these ancillary systems, no reason to jam it all on top of Combat Skills. I'm not against it; I'm just suggesting moderation. There should be more character development that interacts with the world than just combat and crafting training. I am hoping Exploration opens up compatible uses for D/N cycle, Chicken Ticker, and Sacrifice.

This is a nice post but its not a realistic situation. In no universe would you ever have my head. Ever :P

12 minutes ago, yianni said:

So if resources will be scarce.

With the current amount of resources it takes to craft, no one will want to PvP. 

You need to stockpile resources during the early seasons. If it's an issue, they will make adjustments. These sorts of balance things aren't going to be solved in pre-alpha.

I wonder if they could overlap moon cycles with day/night, so that there were different intensities of some things like Werewolves and such.

It would be really interesting if there were planets with more than one moon, and moon cycle.  So on double full moon days in the deep hunger, bar the doors.

55 minutes ago, blazzen said:

This will add a lot to Crowfall. 

I hope night is really dark. I always thought that was a cool feature in Mortal Online where night time visibility was a real issue.

Can you make nameplates less visible at night also? 

Yeah, it was pretty brutal at times. Mortal was a tough game, I quit when territory control came out. Another cool thing Mortal had... no map. you had to learn to navigate by landmarks. I actually enjoyed it, believe it or not.

I enjoyed this update, this is actually pretty exciting for the game. Ofc it'll only really click together once NPC AI and pathing is in a more advanced state, but it has a lot of potential. In particular, I hope nights are very dark and dangerous, like it was in Dragon's Dogma. 

On 10/05/2018 at 6:29 PM, Kraahk said:

It think for me it would feel better if the spawners change by a certain chance per each season. So may be in spring 5% of them would become winter spawners, 15% in summer, 50% in fall, 95% in winter. Changing both the optic of the diorama and the hunger-type of the monsters (or their chance to be this or that variation). It would also provide some variation, because it's only by a certain chance.

This. I couldn't agree more

Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about making EVERYTHING shift at night... I agree some things should, but everything just seems like too much...

That being said, I like hunger shards appearing at night (and staying)... I would greatly prefer to see the shards corrupt the spawners by being near them causing the map to slowly move towards hunger. (I believe someone else expressed a similar idea). If a hunger shard gets within range of a spawner, the spawner should go full time hunger version. 

I'm also not a fan of the corrupted npcs turning to dust in the morning... Though that does have the benefit of you only needing to flee for so long if they are chasing you, but they only stray so far from the spawners anyways so that doesn't really matter... (I do like the visual of fleeing towards the sunrise and having the pursuers turn to dust behind you)

I'll second the very common concern people have expressed with the 40 minute cycle. It makes perfect sense for testing but I certainly hope its implemented as a campaign adjustable widget. I'd greatly prefer to see the live duration being 2 or 2.5 hours. 2 hours means someone who can only invest a couple hours a night gets a full cycle or casual players could choose to put an hour in during day or night. 2.5 hours means every day the timing shifts by 1 hour to be fair to different time zones. (IE - if I can only play from 9 to 10, it means my timeblock will alternate from day to night every other day)

Just my two feathers worth.