Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_Jackal

Days and Nights - Official Discussion Thread

Not a fan of mobs becoming hunger versions at night and then vanishing during the day. I much prefer the older idea of all mobs gradually becoming hunger versions over season progression.

Alternately, controlling the mob version based on the spread of hunger shards would be good, all the way to indestructable humger shards when the world is near the end, which would necessarily make all the mobs in the world hunger mobs.

Swapping them in and out of hunger mode every day just by existing makes the entire concept of the hunger feel less important and way more gamey.

Day/Night cycles and creatures that only exist at day or night exists in many other games. For example lotro had it 10 years ago... doesnt sound new or cool in any way to me. 40m day&night sounds really short. I feel, its weird that night is time of hunger and that it goes away when the sun goes up... I thought of the lore in other ways... but thats not on me to decide... seasons coming will be a nice change, though.

I think the problem with this system is that the frequency and rapidity of change makes a very cool event quickly lose all novelty and become boring. I would suggest a slight tweak on the system:

To make "Hunger Night" seem much more special, rather than the mobs/hunger shards/other night effects occuring literally every ingame night, make it a probability tied to the seasonal progression and tied to some kind of easily visible celestial anomaly, ala Zelda: BOTW blood moon (Image), coupled with some special ominous music, and maybe increase the probability of a "Hunger Night" every time it doesn't happen.

So in early spring, there may be a base 5% chance of the world proccing this night event. Every night it doesn't happen, increase the probability by 40% (7%, 10%, etc) until it does happen, and then reset. The base probability would increase with time by season, until maybe in winter you'd want it every night and the nights to last longer (that part of the system seems fine).

Just going to join the chorus here on not liking the fact that hunger-infected zones are "fixed" by dawn, it twerks at my understanding of the lore. The Hunger is supposed to feel unstoppable - Crows should be the only ones who can delay it, and even then they can only slow it down. I like the Hunger Crystals approach in this regard, as it means players have the capability to slow down its advance by smashing the growths on nodes. But dawn just FWOOSH and all Hunger-infected creatures melt? It breaks that feeling of hopeless perseverance.

My suggestion would be to tie in hunger spawns to the aforementioned crystals, or make it so players must wipe out all the local hunger creatures during the day to create a fresh respawn for their uncorrupted counterparts (the "Cleansing Wildfire" approach). This of course wouldn't work at night, as a wipe would just mean hunger-infected creatures would be the ones to respawn. This returns the agency to the players in stopping the Hunger enroaching on their lands, and gives incentives also to opposing players to attack anyone trying to clear out the Hunger in enemy lands to deny them resources and let the problem grow. The importance of Day and Night is also preserved.

Edited by Inferni

I've been gone for a long time.  I regret everyday I spend time learning stuff at school.

This is a pretty fun update, makes me angry at the fact that I still don't own a working desktop yet :)

Please guys, slow down.  I'm looking forward to the might-be-survival feeling from nighttime hunger.

@thomasblairIn the live stream I asked about the 'spawn-on-damage healing orb consumption issue', but you replied about the druid orbs being visible issue - here's an example of what I was talking about, not being able to consume or heal from the orbs that spawn when you damage someone:

Thank-you sir!

Edited by Anthrage