IdeaMatrix

Refining for increase resource quality

Posted (edited)

I did a minimal amount of searching to see if people had suggested this and didn't come up with anything so forgive me if I missed something. (I also haven't been active for a while)

Are there any plans in place to add a refining option to increase quality of resources at a loss?

Example: 10 grey ore refined to 1 green ore, 10 green ore refined to 1 blue ore etc

I feel there needs to be a way to make up for the lack of quality in easier campaigns and also to make use of lower tier resource stockpiles.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

On 12.5.2018 at 6:35 AM, IdeaMatrix said:

Are there any plans in place to add a refining option to increase quality of resources at a loss?

Example: 10 grey ore refined to 1 green ore, 10 green ore refined to 1 blue ore etc

Maybe not refining to a better quality, but somethin like:

Who can craft Weapons/Armor from ore, shouldnt there be a step between this.
Refinering Ore into Ingots, Wood into Planks, Stone into "Blocks", Cleaning dead Bodies (Necromancy), grind juweliers etc.

So if i refine some Tier 1 Ore, i can add some "Rare Items". To get a special Tier 1 ingot.

These "Rare Parts" could be something i get from sacrifices, or from "Hunger Monsters".

Posted (edited)

The entire function of having lower resource tier caps in lower difficulty rings is to require players to participate in or trade with players in those rings. If you can not get better than blue materials in a 3 faction campaign you are not intended to be able to source them there, as access to the acquisition of higher tier materials is the intended incentive to participate in harder campaigns.

Allowing players to brute force their way in to higher tier materials by smushing together a bunch of lower rank ones breaks this system and makes the incentive to fight for the win in higher end campaigns less compelling, leading to larger and more organized guilds having increased incentive to remain in lower tier campaigns, and breaking the natural difficulty versus reward curve intended to separate players in to natural difficulty brackets.

If I can keep a 300 person guild in 3 faction campaigns and simply stomp new players and keep myself in legendary materials because my guys rarely ever die and I can easily just farm enough low tier mats to smush together, I don't experience a natural loss of legendary items. If I experience a natural loss of legendary items over time through use alone and I can't replace them at all, I have a serious lack of incentive to try and stomp noobs with my irreplacable shinies. If I have to trade with people who can simply mine those mats in the dregsby spending much longer times farming low rank mats in 3 faction, I also have a serious lack of incentive to stay and stomp noobs with my shinies.

Edited by PopeUrban

Posted (edited)

You can already do this. 

Folks call it bootstrapping. 

Take 6 white quality gold ore. Mix in 3 more blue quality gold ore. Make an metal bar. You have roughly around a 33% chance of the ingot coming out blue. 

Edited by srathor

2 hours ago, srathor said:

You can already do this. 

Take 6 white quality gold ore. Mix in 3 more blue quality gold ore. Make an metal bar. You have roughly around a 33% chance of the ingot coming out blue. 

And your increased skills in training can help mitigate the Flawed assembly outcome for attempting the risk of boot strapping. The community has not yet fully uncovered the math behind the Flawed Assembly mechanic but we are working to understand it. 

3 hours ago, srathor said:

You can already do this. 

The best part about this method, is that it does not allow you to bypass the campaign limitations.  If you can't get blue in a campaign, you can't bootstrap up to it.

There is no need to add anything at all that turns bulk into better than the campaign can handle, and with bootstrapping there is no need to add anything more because you can already turn grey into legendary, if your lucky, skilled, and patient enough.

I did 20 combines with the above mentioned ratio.  6 whites 3 blues. 

I got this back.  11 whites 2 greens 7 blues. Not all that high in training though. only I think 25 at the moment. So this was much better than 33% but it was also not a large sample size.

unknown.png

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, srathor said:

You can already do this. 

Excellent point actually. With high enough crafting skills and enough RNG you could theoretically stairstep with amazing combines from poor quality materials all the way to legendary as well, but the rate of amazing combines is so insanely low as a base value that its functionally impossible to do with any consistancy, unlike bootstrapping.

With mass production I question if these return rates are here to stay, however. A 33% chance of blue ingots when youre RNG on everything is one thing. A guaranteed run blue ingots that only require 3 blue ore and 6 white? IDK what the economic impact of that really is compared to harvesting.

On the flip side of that question, though, an amazing assembly blueprint that can make you 10 purple swords from blue components, also theoretically possible.

Edited by PopeUrban

So has ace commented on this, is it an intended mechanic we can count on - or is it a creative loophole that will be filled at some point?

On 15/05/2018 at 3:12 AM, srathor said:

I did 20 combines with the above mentioned ratio.  6 whites 3 blues. 

I got this back.  11 whites 2 greens 7 blues. Not all that high in training though. only I think 25 at the moment. So this was much better than 33% but it was also not a large sample size.

unknown.png

I did it with jewelery setting 1 blue+1blue+2 green with 50 combines i got 34 greens and 16 blues soo hmm maybe just unlucky
Majority of the time atleast with jewelery i tend to come out worst when bootstrapping.

Edited by veeshan

On 10/25/2018 at 8:58 AM, Linthu said:

So has ace commented on this, is it an intended mechanic we can count on - or is it a creative loophole that will be filled at some point?

Intended. 

Start with "In that moment". they are talking about a combine. Bail out is being talked about pre-experimentation, so if for example you wanted blue, but got white, you could bail out with abort without going through experimentation.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken