Jastorin

A Crow that can only fly three feet off the ground

On 5/13/2018 at 4:44 PM, Jastorin said:

What is the reasoning/lore behind not being able to fly back to your body in crow form, only being three feet off the ground while appearing to be flying and needing to navigate around or double jump up hills or mountains? Your a bird of flight.

I would be down for some lore about flying low to avoid detection and the wraith of the gods the other factions are fighting for or something......

The first thing that comes to my mind is to prevent people from getting into places that they couldn't otherwise.

For example, die outside enemy keep walls, fly as a crow inside walls, then rez. Now you've circumvented enemy keep walls. 

They could prevent this by making the rez radius very small...but we already had that and there was a corpse camping issue because of it.

8 hours ago, Effeh said:

I like the line of Krakken's thinking about expanding the Crow functionality. Traveling faster directionally towards the body is an idea I like a lot, some kind of "flap" or other flavourful speedboost (perhaps doubling as a height increase) also seems like a winner. It's a shame I can't read any of the (I imagine) interesting discussions that happen in the partner forum. It seems more than a little ridiculous at this point considering the tiny size of the playerbase. I wonder if the people with that entitlement wouldn't almost unanimously agree that it's counterproductive to gatekeep discussion when the community is in a state of severe inactivity due to pre-alpha.

No I wouldn't agree to that if it was up to me, and I think I may be the person who drags the most out of that forum to general of all of us.

The reason is simple. Much of what goes on in there is talked about with more candor and freedom than can be talked about in public. If it was in general, and available to anyone with an account, some of what is said could be easily pulled from context to make ACE look bad.

So the most likely effect would not be more open communication, but rather they would be forced to stop being as open with ANY of the community.

Besides, I know someone from the team, usually Todd,  reads pretty much every post on the forum.  Todds presence here to bump a thread over two weeks after the last post demonstrates that fact.

FYI,

I can tell you what we don't get.  We don't get content previews, they love to spring that stuff on everyone at the same time. We don't get any greater insight into schedule, or timeline, or in many cases the choices actually made until they show up.  The new training straight to time bank model is a great example.  Even though it had been suggested and talked about in both types of forums,  nobody had no clue it was going that way, until it did, despite volumes of discussion.

8 hours ago, Effeh said:

1) In the inevitable final form of the NPE, the first time a player spawns into the world should be as a crow, as tempting as it might be to put them right into a more "traditional" vessel experience right away - maybe a nearby dead body that they're directed to fly towards and then possess after a brief period of introduction as a crow. Hell, maybe "their own" dead body from before they became a crow. Familiarizes them with the corpse retrieval process right away, and good lore flavour.

2) This one's actually already a thing, which is the crow spirit flying up and out of the body as part of the death animation, but I was thinking about how neat this one would be ages ago. Good job.

3) A power that renders you briefly corporeal as a living but still semi-spirity looking crow, and visible to players. This to me would the equivalent of pressing "TAB" in UO to show yourself as a ghost and troll people by going "OOooOoOOoO". Except instead of OOOing at them, your text would be rendered as a bunch of cawing noises (and text). A companion to this would of course be an exploration node that lets you understand the cawing, for those of us who eagerly screenshot precious rage tells and hackusations.

It would actually be hilarious to have a flavour discipline (or node?) that allows you to briefly manifest as this corporeal crow after being killed, before being sent to the temple as normal, so you can rage caw at the people that just killed you - and maybe have 30s of being able to shot call for any living friends?  Or just watch your friends get rolled, which can also be pretty fun.

3b) As a logical extension of this one, it could be interesting to have the landscape littered with Crowfall's version of "Weirwoodesque" (game of thrones/asoiaf) trees that crows could land on to be able to see and speak to (caw at) players. They could double as the tree motherlodes, actually. You might want to cut down the ones around your keeps to avoid spying. And noise. Impractical because spying will be done by embedded players, if at all - but embracing the fantasy/lore in this way is important to making a game feel like a world, I think, developer resources notwithstanding.

4) This one is absolutely idioticbut it's too funny not to suggest - allowing crows to possess mounts. Pop into your friend's horse and gain a power tray to boost him out of danger or maybe super-jump, or pop into an enemy's mount and try to screw him over somehow - maybe he has to mash a button to dislodge you from his horse's mind, and it's slowed until then or you can turn in ways he doesn't want you to.

Could get really silly, and really, really bad if it actually incentivizes a person in your group to go around as a crow to screw over enemy's mounts, which nobody would ever want to be forced to do - I think people might actually prefer to play as a character, not as a living movespeed malus. The "buff friend's mount" thing is a lot safer, much harder to lead to unhealthy gameplay. EDIT - wait, no it isn't, because everyone would then need an alt to permanently possess their own mounts to get around faster! I knew this was a stupid idea. No regrets! Mount possession forever!

1.) We used to have that, and had to go to the statues to pick up the first vessel, this is better. That said, expect starting to change, several times, before we are done.

3.) Crow used to appear over your body on a short tether.  I actually think it may have been stuck there.  Since removed.

Cheers

Just a thought
Why not throw the crow into something like an ethereal realm or something like a world of fog where there will be no collisions at all and only corpses are highlighted. This way it would be nearly impossible to scout and no issue with the terrain. To add some spice to this, why not allow crows to directly teleport and revive at a specific location but reward players who travel back to their corpse like having unique resources obtainable only in the ethereal realm. These resources can spawn at random locations with a time limit just to make it more exciting.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, FatalisFate said:

Just a thought
Why not throw the crow into something like an ethereal realm or something like a world of fog where there will be no collisions at all and only corpses are highlighted. This way it would be nearly impossible to scout and no issue with the terrain. To add some spice to this, why not allow crows to directly teleport and revive at a specific location but reward players who travel back to their corpse like having unique resources obtainable only in the ethereal realm. These resources can spawn at random locations with a time limit just to make it more exciting.

Huge system that doesn't already exist including a different way of dealing with physics, so probably a lot of work.

Inside of stuff will look like crap as you pass through trees, hills, walls, etc.

There was a big problem with corpse camping, which is why there is now the ability to pull your body 100m from its current location.  If you can't scout people around it, you can't pull it safely.

Those are the problems I see right off.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

On 6/7/2018 at 3:09 PM, FatalisFate said:

Just a thought
Why not throw the crow into something like an ethereal realm or something like a world of fog where there will be no collisions at all and only corpses are highlighted. This way it would be nearly impossible to scout and no issue with the terrain.

Because then you'd need to load an entirely separate map, and the current model is basically that already, but using the same map.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:09 PM, FatalisFate said:

To add some spice to this, why not allow crows to directly teleport and revive at a specific location but reward players who travel back to their corpse like having unique resources obtainable only in the ethereal realm. These resources can spawn at random locations with a time limit just to make it more exciting.

Because you shouldn't reward people for dying, and there is already a reward for flying back to your body. You get to take only 100 durability damage in stead of 350.

Honestly I'd rather see us flying from our body to rez statues. Its just cleaner all around and IMO makes more sense. Why can our crows teleport to a statue at the point of death, but don't have the ability to re-inhabit our corpse? If I'm "inhabiting" the corpse it seems to me that I should probably fly from the corpse to get a new one elsewhere rather than fly back to the (now dead) corpse to re-inhabit it. Especially if it has technically been beheaded.

This would also completely remove the need for the towtruck mechanic that still confuses lots of new players.

"Fly to a rez statue and rez" is just cleaner and more intuitive than "respawn at a random uncontrollable point and fly back to your body, or actually, within 100m of your body and rez yourself in your original body. Oh also you can use the statue there to rez yourself but it'll break all your stuff and you'll still have another body lying on the ground with your stuff in it."

And it still maintains the "time out" penalty of having to fly to a place in crow form.

And it actually mirrors how the fiction seems to treat the crow in the comics and trailers.

The current death system is kind of a mess for no discernable reason with special case stuff to lipstick over the obvious design problems of expecting players to self rez in a known dangerous location. What does it achieve really? Its needlessly complicated with two different sets of rez rules and requires a special 100m radius to prevent a problem that wouldn't even exist if we just used a "rez at the rez point" approach to crow flight that makes it easier for parties to stick together after a wipe and easier for players to actually replace their stuff when they break it from their bank or a local vendor.

19 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Because then you'd need to load an entirely separate map, and the current model is basically that already, but using the same map.

Because you shouldn't reward people for dying, and there is already a reward for flying back to your body. You get to take only 100 durability damage in stead of 350.

Honestly I'd rather see us flying from our body to rez statues. Its just cleaner all around and IMO makes more sense. Why can our crows teleport to a statue at the point of death, but don't have the ability to re-inhabit our corpse? If I'm "inhabiting" the corpse it seems to me that I should probably fly from the corpse to get a new one elsewhere rather than fly back to the (now dead) corpse to re-inhabit it. Especially if it has technically been beheaded.

This would also completely remove the need for the towtruck mechanic that still confuses lots of new players.

"Fly to a rez statue and rez" is just cleaner and more intuitive than "respawn at a random uncontrollable point and fly back to your body, or actually, within 100m of your body and rez yourself in your original body. Oh also you can use the statue there to rez yourself but it'll break all your stuff and you'll still have another body lying on the ground with your stuff in it."

And it still maintains the "time out" penalty of having to fly to a place in crow form.

And it actually mirrors how the fiction seems to treat the crow in the comics and trailers.

The current death system is kind of a mess for no discernable reason with special case stuff to lipstick over the obvious design problems of expecting players to self rez in a known dangerous location. What does it achieve really? Its needlessly complicated with two different sets of rez rules and requires a special 100m radius to prevent a problem that wouldn't even exist if we just used a "rez at the rez point" approach to crow flight that makes it easier for parties to stick together after a wipe and easier for players to actually replace their stuff when they break it from their bank or a local vendor.

I like this and it will feel a lot better than the currant system.

Should just make crows awkwardly walk and hop along to our corpse like they do in real life.