Sign in to follow this  
ACE_Jackal

Pre-Alpha 5 Live! - Official Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)

First time I caught one of these live!  Thanks @Zatch for getting my question in while figuring out verifying my acct.  Thanks ACE - Great info but REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO A SCOUTING UPDATE :) 

Edited by Mayhem_

Informative stream, can't wait for the next one.

Look forward to see what comes of Racial Weapons in the future; as I heard that mentioned. 

Thanks for the stream today.

I enjoyed the format today a lot better where you read a few notes, then take some questions, then read more notes. Better interaction that way.

@thomasblair @mhalashace I don't think I conveyed my question at the end of the stream about damage types on class abilities very well. If a tooltip says "weapon damage" but doesn't call out a specific damage type then the damage type is based on the weapon equipped, correct? 

For example, the champion hurlbat is piercing, neck breaker is crushing, but vicious stomp / disarming shout / rend doesn't specify a damage type so is it then based on whatever weapon type is equipped? 

The reason this is important is if a class has mostly crushing based class abilities (like the champion does) then they may be better served using a crushing based weapon (instead of slashing from an axe) so they can stack crushing penetration. Make sense? 

48 minutes ago, blazzen said:

I enjoyed the format today a lot better where you read a few notes, then take some questions, then read more notes. Better interaction that way.

@thomasblair @mhalashace I don't think I conveyed my question at the end of the stream about damage types on class abilities very well. If a tooltip says "weapon damage" but doesn't call out a specific damage type then the damage type is based on the weapon equipped, correct? 

For example, the champion hurlbat is piercing, neck breaker is crushing, but vicious stomp / disarming shout / rend doesn't specify a damage type so is it then based on whatever weapon type is equipped? 

The reason this is important is if a class has mostly crushing based class abilities (like the champion does) then they may be better served using a crushing based weapon (instead of slashing from an axe) so they can stack crushing penetration. Make sense? 

Yes, that's exactly how it works. If it just says "Weapon Damage", then it's the damage type associated with whatever weapon you are using. 

Knights have the same thing where all of their shield-based attacks are crushing damage, but other attacks are based on the weapon they are using. Yes, you can use a mace and stack crushing damage, but you will be at a serious disadvantage against anyone using Mudman. In that case, using a slashing weapon would be to your advantage. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Arkade said:

Yes, that's exactly how it works. If it just says "Weapon Damage", then it's the damage type associated with whatever weapon you are using. 

Knights have the same thing where all of their shield-based attacks are crushing damage, but other attacks are based on the weapon they are using. Yes, you can use a mace and stack crushing damage, but you will be at a serious disadvantage against anyone using Mudman. In that case, using a slashing weapon would be to your advantage. 

Then they need to make it easy to understand through the tooltips.

My suggestion would be to have the tooltips change according with the weapon the user is equpped with and use the same ' Weapon Damage as X Damage' pattern. They should already have a variable storing our weapon damage type so just fill in the blank with it.

Could add an special marker to indicate it comes from the weapon and avoid confusion. Something like:

Stomp the ground in front of you, dealing 63 - 85 + 74% Weapon Damage as Crushing(WP) Damage. Applies a 50% movement speed reduction to all hit.

PS.: Vicious Stomp(^) damage type should be fixed (Crushing?). Can it really deal slashing or piercing damage?

Edited by BarriaKarl

I'd like it to go one further, where the % Weapon Damage in the tooltip itself is calculated based on your current equipment. 

Something like: 63 - 85 +74% Weapon Damage (93 - 129)

The (93 - 129) being the actual expected damage output of the power, based on my arbitrary math.

24 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

Then they need to make it easy to understand through the tooltips.

My suggestion would be to have the tooltips change according with the weapon the user is equpped with and use the same ' Weapon Damage as X Damage' pattern. They should already have a variable storing our weapon damage type so just fill in the blank with it.

Could add an special marker to indicate it comes from the weapon and avoid confusion. Something like:

Stomp the ground in front of you, dealing 63 - 85 + 74% Weapon Damage as Crushing(WP) Damage. Applies a 50% movement speed reduction to all hit.

PS.: Vicious Stomp(^) damage type should be fixed (Crushing?). Can it really deal slashing or piercing damage?

I'd definitely like dynamic tooltips, but I'm not sure that would be clearer than what we have now. I can just imagine every noob asking "What does the WP after Crushing mean in the tooltip?"

Maybe they could keep the wording they have, but add a new icon at the top that dynamically shows the damage type. 

Or better yet, since they already have the tech to use CTRL to expand tooltips, they could do that with ability tooltips and have a note in there that says "The damage type of this ability is based on the damage type of your equipped weapon."

see also:

a druid staff is EARTH. none of their powers really define if they do EARTH damage from weapon or the more logical LIGHTNING damage. [or does it do a 50/50 mix from base and weapon value etc]

Posted (edited)

Okay. so I sneaked a peak on the VDO and i saw Tark question about the leadership person just standing there doing nothing.

Wouldn't it be possible to grant a power to the leadership person that works like the harversting power does?

I thought of making his boosts act like a short buffs, requiring the player in question to time them with others.

For example, the gathering boosts might be a 3 secs buff that requires the leader to activate just before a gatherer hit the 0/25/50/75 percentage in a node. Time it wrong and no leader buff for ya.

I honestly don't remember the other buffs so that the only example I have. *shrugs*

It could certainly become a pain to have to keep doing that, but you could just think of it as diferent 'active-gathering'.

I thought it would certainly be better than just requiring the person to be there. I bet people just Alt+Tab.

Edited by BarriaKarl

1 hour ago, BarriaKarl said:

Okay. so I sneaked a peak on the VDO and i saw Tark question about the leadership person just standing there doing nothing.

Wouldn't it be possible to grant a power to the leadership person that works like the harversting power does?

I thought of making his boosts act like a short buffs, requiring the player in question to time them with others.

For example, the gathering boosts might be a 3 secs buff that requires the leader to activate just before a gatherer hit the 0/25/50/75 percentage in a node. Time it wrong and no leader buff for ya.

I honestly don't remember the other buffs so that the only example I have. *shrugs*

It could certainly become a pain to have to keep doing that, but you could just think of it as diferent 'active-gathering'.

I thought it would certainly be better than just requiring the person to be there. I bet people just Alt+Tab.

When harvesting you can be both the leader and the excavator/reaper if you have both trained...   you are too busy harvesting to do anything else.  In fact a leader is not standing around, if not the active harvester, they could also be the foreman or the doober collector/runner.   Leadership IS a passive skill!

16 hours ago, blazzen said:

A hurlBAT is piercing, not crushing?

This is yet another reason why weapon bonuses shouldn't be so closely tied to class, IMO.

Posted (edited)

ESDF SUPPORT!

THIS IS THE GREATEST PATCH NOTE EVER!

Surprised you guys had never heard of ESDF users before. There are dozens of us! Dozens! (There's even a condescending website about it.)

It's home keys, it opens up more keys for binding, you don't have to move your hand to type, and it's just more comfortable. Keyboards are set up for your hand to be on the home keys, so everything is based around that. It just makes more sense. I honestly can't even play with WASD at this point it's just so uncomfortable.

Edited by Svenn

9 hours ago, chancellor said:

A hurlBAT is piercing, not crushing?

This is yet another reason why weapon bonuses shouldn't be so closely tied to class, IMO.

The Hurlbats in Crowfall, much like in Shadowbane, are edged weapons. They are essentially a type of throwing axe. See the rightmost weapon below:

Champion_weapons_show.jpg

On 5/15/2018 at 10:25 AM, blazzen said:

I am hoping to chisel my elbow and make neck breaker piercing.

On 5/16/2018 at 2:48 PM, Jah said:

The Hurlbats in Crowfall, much like in Shadowbane, are edged weapons. They are essentially a type of throwing axe. See the rightmost weapon below:

Champion_weapons_show.jpg

Shouldn't they be hurling Axes, then?