Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall Crowns - Official discussion thread


Recommended Posts

I got over 10k crowns from the conversion, not too shabby. 

Question: How representative are the mount pictures for the final versions? There are multiple nightmares from different years, and I have the Kickstarter one... but is the 2016 Nightmare actually going to have purple flames while the others are orange/red?! If so, I might need to pick that up...

Edited by Svenn

Guild Leader of Seeds of War

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was so hoping this morning's website outage was something to do with adding more guild support.  Ah well.  This is another item checked off ACE's To-Do list, I guess.  At some point they've got to get to the good stuff.

Edited by Durenthal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do you need to implement toy money that obfuscates the actual purchase price of items? Like what's the reasoning behind this? Microtransaction "tokens" always feel dishonest and manipulative to me when you could just list prices in real money values.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PopeUrban said:

Why do you need to implement toy money that obfuscates the actual purchase price of items? Like what's the reasoning behind this? Microtransaction "tokens" always feel dishonest and manipulative to me when you could just list prices in real money values.

I think it has something to do, or an issue with monetary transactions in the EU IIRC.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Durenthal said:

I was so hoping this morning's outage was something to do with adding more guild support.  Ah well.  This is another item checked off ACE's To-Do list, I guess.  At some point they've got to get to the good stuff.

The outage has been since early afternoon yesterday as far as I can tell.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is probably off topic, but while looking at my account page, I noticed some things I don't recall seeing before.

mxqonTy.png

 

What are connected accounts? Will this be a way to link multiple accounts together? What would be the benefit of doing that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Svenn said:

How representative are the mount pictures for the final versions? There are multiple nightmares from different years, and I have the Kickstarter one... but is the 2016 Nightmare actually going to have purple flames while the others are orange/red?! If so, I might need to pick that up...

1

We haven't started concepting the mounts yet. If you have the KS version but like the 2016 better, you would be able to trade down. People who have the 2016 skin won't be able to trade up to the KS skin, though. 

12 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Why do you need to implement toy money that obfuscates the actual purchase price of items? Like what's the reasoning behind this? Microtransaction "tokens" always feel dishonest and manipulative to me when you could just list prices in real money values.

As Armageddon said, it's in relation to our players in the EU. 

7 minutes ago, Arkade said:

What are connected accounts? Will this be a way to link multiple accounts together? What would be the benefit of doing that?

 

I'll have to ask GDub about that one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pann said:

As Armageddon said, it's in relation to our players in the EU.

Any way to list both purchase prices, ar at the very least allow players to buy EXACTLY enough crowns to buy an item rather than packages designed to leave players with unspendable 'spare change' ?

Edited by PopeUrban

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Why do you need to implement toy money that obfuscates the actual purchase price of items? Like what's the reasoning behind this? Microtransaction "tokens" always feel dishonest and manipulative to me when you could just list prices in real money values.

It incentivizes the purchase of store credit.  Take for example the villa.  In the cash store, the villa was $65, now it's 6500 crowns.  This has actually diminished the price since you can buy it with $60 worth of crowns and still have 750 left over.  That means the villa only cost $51.72.  If the player had instead spent $100 on the 13500 crown package, though, the villa would only have cost $48.14 and the user would still have 7000 crowns left over to spend on something else.  This makes it advantageous for customers to spend in larger increments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pann said:

We haven't started concepting the mounts yet. If you have the KS version but like the 2016 better, you would be able to trade down. People who have the 2016 skin won't be able to trade up to the KS skin, though. 

Thanks! I'll wait and see. I'm definitely keeping the KS one, and I'll decide about buying the other after we see the final models. :)  That reminds me, will there be a point where you cut off buying that stuff for KS backers so we can't buy the older designs at some point?

I just wasn't sure if those were placeholders or what and didn't want to spend the money/crowns until I knew for sure what I'd be getting.

Guild Leader of Seeds of War

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bashar said:

It incentivizes the purchase of store credit.  Take for example the villa.  In the cash store, the villa was $65, now it's 6500 crowns.  This has actually diminished the price since you can buy it with $60 worth of crowns and still have 750 left over.  That means the villa only cost $51.72.  If the player had instead spent $100 on the 13500 crown package, though, the villa would only have cost $48.14 and the user would still have 7000 crowns left over to spend on something else.  This makes it advantageous for customers to spend in larger increments.

Yeah. That's the dishonest part. Selling them unusable denominations of currency so that they have to buy more to actually spend it.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Arkade said:

This is probably off topic, but while looking at my account page, I noticed some things I don't recall seeing before.

mxqonTy.png

 

What are connected accounts? Will this be a way to link multiple accounts together? What would be the benefit of doing that?

That's been there for a little while. I assumed it was stuff like connecting Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, etc for any sort of integrations they have with those.

Guild Leader of Seeds of War

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Why do you need to implement toy money that obfuscates the actual purchase price of items? Like what's the reasoning behind this? Microtransaction "tokens" always feel dishonest and manipulative to me when you could just list prices in real money values.

money laundering laws [whereby you can't act as "a bank" for your users]. see also steam credits/wallet...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Arkade said:

What are connected accounts? Will this be a way to link multiple accounts together? What would be the benefit of doing that?

Iirc it had something to do with connecting your social media accounts and stuff. It definitely wasn’t for connecting multiple CF accounts, I remember this getting asked a couple months ago.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Svenn said:

That's been there for a little while. I assumed it was stuff like connecting Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, etc for any sort of integrations they have with those.

 

1 minute ago, coolster50 said:

Iirc it had something to do with connecting your social media accounts and stuff. It definitely wasn’t for connecting multiple CF accounts, I remember this getting asked a couple months ago.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

money laundering laws [whereby you can't act as "a bank" for your users]. see also steam credits/wallet...

I guess I don't get now it could be considered a "bank" if the virtual goods purchased are of a directly transactional nature. That's exactly what VIP is and it doesn't use crowns, right? This is a problem only if the system is designed to sell people unspendable amounts of currency that would need to be banked, right?

I can spend exactly enough money in my steam wallet to buy a thing (over 5 bucks, because bank fees I guess) and my steam wallet is in actual money, not steambucks or whatever.

Considering they've been selling people items for a while, presumably legally, I guess I don't understand the need to sell people tokens unless the goal is to take more money than the user can use in a single transaction and use the over zero balance as a psychological trigger to encourage users to spend more money via the sunk cost fallacy of 'wasting' the already spent real dollar value of the crowns. Its a pretty common microtransaction scheme and it is used for exactly that reason in a lot of cases. I'm just wondering if that's the reasoning here, or if there's a legitimate lean toward simply bulk pricing and people will alctually be able to buy ONLY enough crowns to get an item if they choose not to engage in bulk pricing and end up with odd unspendable amounts of crowns.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

I guess I don't get now it could be considered a "bank" if the virtual goods purchased are of a directly transactional nature. That's exactly what VIP is and it doesn't use crowns, right? This is a problem only if the system is designed to sell people unspendable amounts of currency that would need to be banked, right?

I can spend exactly enough money in my steam wallet to buy a thing (over 5 bucks, because bank fees I guess) and my steam wallet is in actual money, not steambucks or whatever.

Considering they've been selling people items for a while, presumably legally, I guess I don't understand the need to sell people tokens unless the goal is to take more money than the user can use in a single transaction and use the over zero balance as a psychological trigger to encourage users to spend more money via the sunk cost fallacy of 'wasting' the already spent real dollar value of the crowns. Its a pretty common microtransaction scheme and it is used for exactly that reason in a lot of cases. I'm just wondering if that's the reasoning here, or if there's a legitimate lean toward simply bulk pricing and people will alctually be able to buy ONLY enough crowns to get an item if they choose not to engage in bulk pricing and end up with odd unspendable amounts of crowns.

its not really my area. maybe the issue is due to the nature of their "pre release" kickstarter credit funds being 'held' on peoples accounts [e.g. 'sold back' from other elements of packages] with regards to when they "release" going forward etc 

Edited by Tinnis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

its not really my area. maybe the issue is due to the nature of their "pre release" kickstarter credit funds being 'held' on peoples accounts [e.g. 'sold back' from other elements of packages] with regards to when they "release" going forward etc 

Yeah IDK, which is why I asked. I like to believe ACE is one of the "good guys" in this space so I'm naturally curious when I see something that on a surface level seems to be an adoption of some of the  more "bad guy" tactics.

@Tyrant Any insight you can offer on this kinda stuff or future monetization plans?

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Yeah IDK, which is why I asked. I like to believe ACE is one of the "good guys" in this space so I'm naturally curious when I see something that on a surface level seems to be an adoption of some of the  more "bad guy" tactics.

@Tyrant Any insight you can offer on this kinda stuff or future monetization plans?

I think this covers most of what we are doing and why we're doing it.  https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/founders-update-more-on-crowns-and-guilds/

We simply can't have a currency bank in the EU and that drove us to an actual MTX currency, but we had this in our plans at some level from the beginning.  https://imgur.com/a/KfS5TEl

We simply aren't going to sell high dollar items for the EK's moving forward and we aren't going to sell power in the campaigns (period).  We're certainly aiming to be a "good guy" given we want our competitive PvP game to have as level a playing field as possible.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...