Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xGracex

Protecting the Sheep!

So people will probably hate this idea, but as a sheep I like it.  I heard about it from another game and kind of liked the idea. What if there was a system in place for the player that is not really wanting to fight a group of marauding pvp wolves?  What if I am new to the game and just want to harvest some cobblestone in peace without any gear on yet? I suggest that if you dont react and engage to fight the players attacking you then they can still kill you but they receive like an infamous point. These infamous points can build up and have a small penalty to durability on their equipment when they die.  I just liked the idea to help protect the sheep a little more and have the pvp players hunting the other wolves more. Please let me know why this is not a good idea, or why you thing this is a good addition to the game.

39 minutes ago, xGracex said:

[...] What if I am new to the game and just want to harvest some cobblestone in peace without any gear on yet?

[...] Please let me know why this is not a good idea, or why you thing this is a good addition to the game.

I don't. I think it is already there. If you want to be safe on your own, you can start testing the game in your own Eternal Kingdom. In the final game this might be the place where a first tutorial takes place.

There will surely also be large Eternal Kingdoms from other players/communities, who will also allow for big variety of scouting experience. 

Even if you go to the campaigns immediately, there are the small starter locations (the beachhead, where you spawn) that is protected and can't get attacked by other factions (as long as there are no bugs that provide loopholes).

So i would like to ask you a counterquestion, just to understand you better: What else are you looking for precisely?

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

This is a bad idea because:

The less you are punished for having no friends, the less incentive you have to make friends.

The entire point of the game is to leverage violence as a primary measure of control, and every game system from the bottom up is built around this axiom. If you want something and it is dangerous, it is meant to be so.

You would be punishing players for playing the game correctly for no good reason. The entire purpose of player harvesting in Crowfall is as a driver for ganking, and the entire class and harvesting system is built around every harvester having a fighting chance.

You are not meant to be rewarded for doing something stupid, like harvesting without wearing anything.

Wolves aren't meant to hunt wolves. Wolves are meant to hunt sheep and accidentally run in to other wolves while doing so. The things the sheep collect give context and meaning to PvP, as two groups of wolves aren't carrying anything of value, and thus there is nothing meaningful to fight over.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Love it...yeah I love going out with the group and being the harvester while they watch my back...and when the battle starts I do what I can to heal and help...I just hate when nobody is on and I have to go harvesting alone...even with my good gear I am the knotwood of pvp...easily harvestable.  I just thought a system in place that made a person think twice about whether or not an "infamous point" was worth killing this non violent harvester (10 kills of people not fighting back results in 1 durability loss when you die).  I dont think the consequence should be so grand or impactful...just something to help the game not have new players say I hate that I cant win a fight "yet".

On 5/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, xGracex said:

Love it...yeah I love going out with the group and being the harvester while they watch my back...and when the battle starts I do what I can to heal and help...I just hate when nobody is on and I have to go harvesting alone...even with my good gear I am the knotwood of pvp...easily harvestable.  I just thought a system in place that made a person think twice about whether or not an "infamous point" was worth killing this non violent harvester (10 kills of people not fighting back results in 1 durability loss when you die).  I dont think the consequence should be so grand or impactful...just something to help the game not have new players say I hate that I cant win a fight "yet".

this harvester is getting materials that can be used to kill my people. there is no innocence in this game. everyone is guilty. 

if you need to harvest and friends aren't on then you can go play in your EK or you can look for new friends (along with the ones that aren't online). having a big guild or groups of guilds (aka an alliance) will go far in this game. At any time you want people online that you can group with.  I'd venture a guess that you could be crafting while friends are offline. when friends are online you're gathering. this gives you something to do when you're on. If a crafting table is needed then you make sure friends are on. 

the people here are tired of having pvp-safe areas in other games. they yearn for a true open world pvp game.

if you love raids or dungeons, then just imagine any enemy in this game is an 'advanced AI boss'! the AI is so advanced they'll loot you if they manage to kill you.

Edited by jetah

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

On 5/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, xGracex said:

So people will probably hate this idea, but as a sheep I like it.  I heard about it from another game and kind of liked the idea. What if there was a system in place for the player that is not really wanting to fight a group of marauding pvp wolves?  What if I am new to the game and just want to harvest some cobblestone in peace without any gear on yet? I suggest that if you dont react and engage to fight the players attacking you then they can still kill you but they receive like an infamous point. These infamous points can build up and have a small penalty to durability on their equipment when they die.  I just liked the idea to help protect the sheep a little more and have the pvp players hunting the other wolves more. Please let me know why this is not a good idea, or why you thing this is a good addition to the game.

Ah, the good ole days of Tauren's Mill in WoW, where Raids would run a bunch of non-aggressive ALTS woven through their raid so that when the bombs started to drop, and tab targetting was flying . . . opponents would get smacked hard, raid wide, with no-no points.

This doesn't bring anything IMO to the spirit of Crowfall, and is a gimmick that can be twisted and gamed by all the "clever peepls".

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Yeah PvP flags go against the spirit of a sandbox mmo. This game is about immersion, danger behind every corner. To be able to just flag that away, as the poster above me put it "takes the soul out of crowfall" 

I will never understand the want or need to punish people for doing exactly what the game wants you to do. 

Every game I have played in the genre, there is always someone talking about the the thrill, the danger around every corner etc etc.

That is, until they actually get killed.  Then for some reason it isn't fun anymore and they always want to add some kind of penalty to the guy who killed them.

Boggles the mind.

On 5/19/2018 at 1:52 PM, xGracex said:

I just liked the idea to help protect the sheep a little more and have the pvp players hunting the other wolves more.

A good way to accomplish this without compromising the risk vs reward concept of CF is to somehow make hunting wolves more lucrative. Unfortunately in the current test environment, the harvester sheep have all the goodies to loot (and they are less of a pvp threat) so they are the "best" targets.

tiPrpwh.png

On 5/29/2018 at 8:38 PM, gwartham said:

I will never understand the want or need to punish people for doing exactly what the game wants you to do. 

Every game I have played in the genre, there is always someone talking about the the thrill, the danger around every corner etc etc.

That is, until they actually get killed.  Then for some reason it isn't fun anymore and they always want to add some kind of penalty to the guy who killed them.

Boggles the mind.

That is because a lot of players like the "game" but want to play it without pvp harassment when it is inconvenient for them. I have faith that the designers will make the right choices surrounding this aspect of the game.

As to the OP: The concept of having negative systems to protect lower level players in open world pvp is for griefing. That is because in most of those games there is no benefit to killing lower level or new players. They want to encourage fighting equal or higher level players rather than feasting on lower levels.

In a game like Crowfall there is an economy built around hunting down gatherers. Since a Fighter may not be trained in gathering their way of contributing is hunting down the other factions gatherers for resources. This also acts as a way to starve another faction or guild from building up resources. Fundamentally, the game is built with the "survival" mentality. Everything is deadly and you have to fight to survive. 

Outside of that, I agree with many of the previous comments stating that the EKs and Beachhead is perfect for farming basic crafting materials and learning the ropes. I don't think your suggestion fits within the type of game, but perhaps a bounty system that allows "sheep" to payout wolves who will hunt down their opposition could alleviate some of the frustration from being preyed upon.

Game Designer | KanashiGD.com | @KanashiGD

Elf of Hy'shen Avari

This is absurd.  There a a dozen poorly made sockse pve mmo's for you to go safely farm and enjoy your low risk instanced pvp in.

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png