Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dioko

Streamer Mode

Hey there! 

I have been streaming Crowfall now for about a week and have been enjoying the heck out of the game thus far. For a pre-alpha, I have to say that this game is in a lot better shape than most games are at their launch these days. So keep up the good work, dev team!

One thing I have noticed is that we have this nice little "feature" that is in the upper right quadrant of our screen that shows our coordinates, server IP, etc. While I know this might be something to help pinpoint bugs and other things that we may run across in the early stages of this game, I was wondering if this is going to be a staple to the game or if we will eventually be able to disable it. My suggestion comes in the form of creating a streamer mode that might remove some of these types of features in order to keep player positioning and other important aspects of information secret.

I know that as a streamer you are broadcasting your game and will always be susceptible to being stream sniped. However, to help out a streamer and keep our production value on par (i.e, not having to throw a huge banner up over this information) it would be great to have an option to where we can disable this, as well as other sensitive information.

Look forward to having a discussion regarding some of these things!

dioko

Your production value is not the job of game developers. Their job is to make a game, not to make your stream look better. Your job as a streamer is to deal with any issues that arise from streaming. The game is not, and should not be built around your ability or lack of ability to stream it. They are game developers, not production partners in your media venture. That bar exists to automatically attach relevant data to screen captures for debugging purposes in the current builds. That utility is far more important than your ability to stream without spending 5 minutes blocking it over in your stream. If the only reason to add UI options to remove it is to make your stream look cleaner it is a waste of time for the UI engineers and artists that are already working on a significant number of unfinished UI features. That thing is a block of text because blocks of test are ugly, but fast to shove in to a UI.

Last we heard from ACE the new UI system and social panels they're working on are built around draggable and customizable UIs so you should be able to hide or move the elements you need to at some point in the future. I wouldn't expect to see any major changes to the UI until at least 5.7 (where they're adding a clock widget to track seasons and time of day) and beyond (when they implement the new UI for flyovers, the new social menus, guild stuff, etc.) I would also expect that "server bar" to eventually vanish by release when the data it contains can be more cleanly integrated in to optional components or independant draggable widgets rather than a big old box.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

The focus is indeed on testing right now and allowing a way to disable that would be a sure way route for EVERYONE disabling it. We would lose some information that is most likely pretty useful for ACE.

BUT thanks for dropping by and welcome to the forums.

Edited by BarriaKarl

3 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Your production value is not the job of game developers. Their job is to make a game, not to make your stream look better. Your job as a streamer is to deal with any issues that arise from streaming. The game is not, and should not be built around your ability or lack of ability to stream it. They are game developers, not production partners in your media venture. That bar exists to automatically attach relevant data to screen captures for debugging purposes in the current builds. That utility is far more important than your ability to stream without spending 5 minutes blocking it over in your stream. If the only reason to add UI options to remove it is to make your stream look cleaner it is a waste of time for the UI engineers and artists that are already working on a significant number of unfinished UI features. That thing is a block of text because blocks of test are ugly, but fast to shove in to a UI.

Last we heard from ACE the new UI system and social panels they're working on are built around draggable and customizable UIs so you should be able to hide or move the elements you need to at some point in the future. I wouldn't expect to see any major changes to the UI until at least 5.7 (where they're adding a clock widget to track seasons and time of day) and beyond (when they implement the new UI for flyovers, the new social menus, guild stuff, etc.) I would also expect that "server bar" to eventually vanish by release when the data it contains can be more cleanly integrated in to optional components or independant draggable widgets rather than a big old box.

I'm aware their concern is not my production value -- hence why I stated that I figured it was for testing. I knew that this was important to capture important data when screen caps are taken, my main point was just to allow us an option to remove it like your second paragraph states. Appreciate your feedback, apologize if mentioning production value struck a nerve.

2 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

The focus is indeed on testing right now and allowing a way to disable that would be a sure way route for EVERYONE disabling it. We would lose some information that is most likely pretty useful for ACE.

BUT thanks for dropping by and welcome to the forums.

I definitely think its necessary to have it enabled at all times now. Just thinking down the road when we do go live, it would be nice to hide those little boxes from those pesky stream snipers :). Also, thanks for the greeting!

dioko

3 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Streamers are also a source of advertisement for games... Dioko has brought plenty of new people into the game with only one week of streaming. So to your point, yeah they're trying to make a game, making a game takes lots of $$$ so having people stream it doesnt hurt them. 

3 hours ago, yianni said:

Streamers are also a source of advertisement for games... Dioko has brought plenty of new people into the game with only one week of streaming. So to your point, yeah they're trying to make a game, making a game takes lots of $$$ so having people stream it doesnt hurt them. 

Yes, and you can support your streaming community (and should, which is why its a good idea to have a bang-up and proactive community manager like Pann) without wasting the time of your developers.

When supporting streamers actively conflicts with time or people budgeted to actually make your game, you are prioritizing advertising your game above developing it. That's a recipe for disaster.

PopeSigGIF.gif

He never wasted developers' time.Thread was opened as a suggestion, asking if that would EVER be an option and did not state it is mandatory right at this moment. You @PopeUrban just kinda blew his simple question out of proportion like he wanted development of the game to stop just so he gets his UIs fixed and hidden. 

Just now, skoky said:

He never wasted developers' time.Thread was opened as a suggestion, asking if that would EVER be an option and did not state it is mandatory right at this moment. You @PopeUrban just kinda blew his simple question out of proportion like he wanted development of the game to stop just so he gets his UIs fixed and hidden. 

No, I as a player gave my personal opinion on why i thought it was a bad suggestion. I don't have any more power than any other player. It is a discussion forum. I am discussing.

PopeSigGIF.gif

5 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

No, I as a player gave my personal opinion on why i thought it was a bad suggestion. I don't have any more power than any other player. It is a discussion forum. I am discussing.

We respect your opinion and you are entitled to that! Thanks for helping clarify that they would be removing this UI feature in the future -- that was the main point of my suggestion thread. Hope to see you around!

Just now, dioko said:

We respect your opinion and you are entitled to that! Thanks for helping clarify that they would be removing this UI feature in the future -- that was the main point of my suggestion thread. Hope to see you around!

<3

PopeSigGIF.gif

2 hours ago, Yumx said:

Or you can just make a temporary fix, with a bit of imagination!

IF9P9zD.png

Haha, this is great. "Donate, Don't Snipe" would be a great phrase to put there too!

15 hours ago, dioko said:

I definitely think its necessary to have it enabled at all times now. Just thinking down the road when we do go live, it would be nice to hide those little boxes from those pesky stream snipers :). Also, thanks for the greeting!

dioko

I'm personally a bit curious as to how effective stream snipers are going to be actually.  Streamers seem more like bait for both sides, the stream snipers trying to chase the streamer, and the stream sniper hunters trying to kill the stream snipers.

Also campaign worlds, territory and seasons with probable campaign new player and import lockout mid world life are probably going to make it hard to jump in and snipe anyway.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Just now, KrakkenSmacken said:

I'm personally a bit curious as to how effective stream snipers are going to be actually.  Streamers seem more like bait for both sides, the stream snipers trying to chase the streamer, and the stream sniper hunters trying to kill the stream snipers.

Also campaign worlds, territory and seasons with probable campaign new player and import lockout mid world life are probably going to make it hard to jump in and snipe anyway.

I agree, I'll keep my posse at range and when I see the stream snipers coming, they'll jump out of the shadows. But yeah, I agree.. once the world gets larger its going to be interesting to see how people keep up -- may just have to make sure they can't see server selection! 

5 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

CROWFALL a Throne wars style game. Deception, cunning, wits and Tactics are words that spring to mind. I see streamers being able to add these to the game on a different level. I agree it will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

when streaming, OBS or Xsplit allow you to add a image to a defined location on the screen. I like to use @dogrun3d dressed as a Guin Knight to hide my coordinates 

its in the overlay controls just like adding moving text, adding in your camera, etc. 

VsRNjbZ.png

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

1 minute ago, dogrun3d said:

How about a real life Guinecean Doggett?

7tohBvX.png

its too much .. like staring at the sun 

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

Dat ass doe

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png