Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Padishah

Good news, please consider what killed Shadowbane

Great see this effort and the experienced dev team. While there is a lot of talk about what would be great, i encourage the dev team to carefully consider what killed ShadowBane. I.e. What drove players away in huge numbers. Some things from my 10 years in the game would be:

#1. CN and the tacit acceptance by the old company team.

#2. The attempt by some folks to say macro and key clone in combat provided no unfair advantage.

#3. The lack of caring the last few years by in game GMs.

Former IC of Societas Daemonica (2005 -2014)

SB and other gamesFormer IC Nordic Chapter SB (2004)

Former IC / NL of House of Atreides SB Damnation (2003-2004)

Shadowbane really started dying shortly after release... the game was buggy, antiquated right out the gates, and the devs had played favorites with certain nations (I was in one of them) and then those same nations exploited the crap outta the game...

It will be interesting to see which elements from wolfpack are on this project and if they will make the same mistake...

A lot of people have fond memories of SB because it was their first PvP mmo... but aside from a few nice 10vs100 fights my main memories are that of a game crippled by security breaches and exploits from the getgo...

Chinese should get their own server. Without that, we end up with a 2 sided horde vs alliance WoW esque conflict that gets old fast.

Waste Management

Ventrilo info: Carbon.typefrag.com 8165 pw Tootdat

Great see this effort and the experienced dev team. While there is a lot of talk about what would be great, i encourage the dev team to carefully consider what killed ShadowBane. I.e. What drove players away in huge numbers. Some things from my 10 years in the game would be:

#2. The attempt by some folks to say macro and key clone in combat provided no unfair advantage.

#2 Those players are clearly terrible, and needed something to crutch on.

#3 Darkfall has terrible GMs, and it really makes the whole experience a lot worse than it needs to be. Their forums mods also ban, from what it seems like, random people, and close topics which don't need to be closed. I have never been banned on the forum, but I know quite a few people have been.

EOWWuhQ.png 

There should be a separation of game and forums/administration in general, IE not repeat the shadowbane problem of certain guilds brown-nosing for moderator/admin positions to exert their will on people that beat them in game.

Waste Management

Ventrilo info: Carbon.typefrag.com 8165 pw Tootdat

Too lazy to copy/paste what I wrote in another forum, god knows where it's at. But what killed shadowbane imo:

-Getting griefed out the gate. You got off noob land at 20 and you went straight to getting ganked right outside a safehold by someone 40 levels higher. This was burned in my memory for the first month of the game. Sure, I got over it. but 90% of players didn't

-Fighting 3x + odds. Not fun for anyone. For mines or zone PvP? Sure, whatever. Losing a city due to it? meh.

-sb.exe

-bugs, exploits, and dupes

-dying population due to any of the above or lack of end game content

I don't think macroing was that big of a deal. You macro'd an untargetable character, sure. But if you're losing the game because someone macro'd to kill some mobs or macro'd a bard, don't know what to tell ya.

#1.  This wasn't a problem until the game went free to play.  That's what allowed the Chinese to create a kajillion accounts and take over entire servers.

#2.  I'm with you here.  Keycloning was lame poorly made socks, but was also a result of being a free game wherein people could create infinite free accounts.

#3.  While this did suck, I think it's just the result of the game being on lifesupport at the time. 

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

mourne is Wise....

SB.exe and being released when the Game should have still been in beta until stable is what killed it

some Beta guilds splitting up servers pre-launch didn't help (yeah CoS on Treachery, etc)

and the first few real Banes crapping out the servers/not being able to log in etc, drove a ton of those with initial Interest away

F2P was assaulting the corpse

could just be meh....

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

#1.  This wasn't a problem until the game went free to play.  That's what allowed the Chinese to create a kajillion accounts and take over entire servers.

#2.  I'm with you here.  Keycloning was lame ****, but was also a result of being a free game wherein people could create infinite free accounts.

#3.  While this did suck, I think it's just the result of the game being on lifesupport at the time. 

CN was a problem well before SB went free. Go look at the history of the Entropy server when they first came to the NA servers after Entranz went breasts-up. this was before the time of the second expansion (Throne of Oblivion) and SB was still pay to play. Then look at Wrath server again prior to free to play. CN didn't need to make a Kajillion accounts for low number of players since they literally could field 300 active players, name one NA nation that could field 300 active players.

mourne is Wise....

SB.exe and being released when the Game should have still been in beta until stable is what killed it

some Beta guilds splitting up servers pre-launch didn't help (yeah CoS on Treachery, etc)

and the first few real Banes crapping out the servers/not being able to log in etc, drove a ton of those with initial Interest away

F2P was assaulting the corpse

could just be meh....

Excelsior!

We really screwed Treachery  :(

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Will say what went right was windows of opportunity (mentioned in another sb thread). No one wants to wake up for a 3am shift of asset protection. But then again, most assets for SB at end game were protected.

CN was a problem well before SB went free. Go look at the history of the Entropy server when they first came to the NA servers after Entranz went breasts-up. this was before the time of the second expansion (Throne of Oblivion) and SB was still pay to play. Then look at Wrath server again prior to free to play. CN didn't need to make a Kajillion accounts for low number of players since they literally could field 300 active players, name one NA nation that could field 300 active players.

Well, if this is indeed the case, then they deserved the victory.  If they legitimately just fielded that many active players, then...that's war. 

I certainly recall no shortage of NA SB guilds not being able to play-nice enough to match CN numbers and repel their mainland advances.  We got what we deserved, in that case.  The course of human history is littered with such tales.  Hopefully we learned something and can be a stronger force (if necessary) should another "world war" break out.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I didn't come here to repeat history.  It is my firm intention to make entirely new horrible mistakes.

Todd

ACE

will you have mah cyberbabies?

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I feel like I'm totally disconnected when people make comments like this.  It's not that I dont understand the problems that you're talking about, but when you relate these items to what "killed" Shadowbane I'm a bit confused, because none of these things were issues until after like....what....2006....2007?  What's your definition of "dead"?

Your milkshake lures all the fine folks to the yard. Verily, it is better than mine. Surely it is better than mine. Would you teach me, or would you levy a fee? - Integ

I feel like I'm totally disconnected when people make comments like this.  It's not that I dont understand the problems that you're talking about, but when you relate these items to what "killed" Shadowbane I'm a bit confused, because none of these things were issues until after like....what....2006....2007?  What's your definition of "dead"?

Dead pertains to server shutdown due to population shrinkage due to devs not dealing with issues.

CN started zerg war about 2006, and there is a known method they followed. Failure to deal with them early lead to entire servers getting killed. When I was GL of House Atreides on Damnation, we lost a main city due to a CN no fly spire exploit that was known, and yet the dev team did nothing to deal with it.

Key clone GvG was damn near impossible to counter. I am not sure i know of any actual counter that worked.

Former IC of Societas Daemonica (2005 -2014)

SB and other gamesFormer IC Nordic Chapter SB (2004)

Former IC / NL of House of Atreides SB Damnation (2003-2004)