Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keratha

Not enjoying my time - let's hope this is fixed.

Recommended Posts

I bought this game very recently and it is not at all what I expected it to be. That's fine; other people might like it. I am aware that this is pre-alpha and that (hopefully) these things will be repaired, but in its current state, Crowfall is not something I will be playing.

I am aware that I cannot get a refund. In that case, I hope you use my money to make the game match the lore you worked so hard on. I appreciate your hard work, but I don't want to spend money to test your game for you, thank you. I bought it hoping to enjoy what was there, because every other MMO on the market has proven to be garbage.

What I'm missing right now is mostly polish, to be honest - character customization, in-game story, better models and textures - but you can't deny that, at present, the game's not very fun. For a PVP-focused game with a heavy emphasis on crafting, the combat is jagged and poor and the resource gathering monotonous; for an MMO, not enough people are here yet to make interactions very fun. The game's presentation and environment are nothing like the much more appealing concept art, and the experience is so bare-bones and directionless that I simply see no reason to go on exploring the ugly, empty worlds.

Developers: do not give up on this game. I gave you my money; I refuse your offer of a testing environment. Beta testing is a job, and I do not want to pay you for the opportunity to have that job. I have given my contribution; take it, along with the contributions of all the others who have hope in this game, and make something I will come back to once it's done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry you dont like the game at this state...I feel grateful that I am allowed to test in pre-alpha what I consider to be a game that i love growing with...I hope to see you back in the game when it is more polished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

many people are happy to support the vision of the project financially without actively spending their time on pre alpha testing - and thats fine and natural for most people.

i hope you come and check it out at beta stage of game systems/polish - or wait for launch.

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you're wrong, I just think its not really a game yet.

Its just a piece of kit we can test as backers to assure ourselves that we've trusted the company to make a good final product.

So far I've seen nothing but constant progress and I'm sure we'll get a game we deserve eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Keratha, I personally did not like the game either when I initially purchased it. I compared it immediately to other polished games knowing that it was still in early development. I think expectations can be set so high nowadays that we seem to forget that quality takes time and patience.

  I decided to give this game another try  a couple of ago and I'm really enjoying it now. What keeps me coming back to play would probably be a mix of seeing new content added frequently, active developer involvement and just finding a good group of people to play with even if we are a small bunch. The small current active population on the servers dont even bother me anymore... I would rather have quality over quantity and I know eventually this game will start becoming more popular.

 If you dont like the game currently, maybe you do need to step away for a bit like I did and than come back with an open mind, find a good group of active players and start enjoying the game. Good luck!

Edited by Hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big disconnect for many is not fully realizing that You are not "Paying to play a Beta". ACE is not asking for you, or anyone else to "spend money to test their game" Hopefully you will come back later and revisit it once it is more polished.

ACE never pitched it as a beta. The Understanding, if one has followed it long enough (or done any research), is that you purchase the account to support the game and the vision set forth (I have purchased four accounts, the last one around a month ago). The Monetary Contribution towards that vision allows you access as a reward. ACE is not selling this as a finished product/game loop. ACE is not asking people to come play now, or promising that the game is amazing and full of content.  In fact, just in case you missed it,  it states when you go to download the client:

GAME CLIENT

  • Reminder

    Crowfall has not launched yet and is currently in testing.

    That means the game will have bugs (finding and fixing them is why we test), and some skills, features and content are still in development and not yet available.

    Beta is set for later in 2018.

     

Edited by Armegeddon

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITT:  "I know it's pre-alpha, but I'm disappointed it's pre-alpha!!"

At least most folks don't realize it's in pre-alpha when they complain about it being in pre-alpha.

 

Check back in a year from now and you'll have the game you want ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See, I understand where OP is coming from.

I really want to enjoy the game in its current state, and I feel like having active testers in this Pre-alpha is 100% needed for the team to build the game where the playerbase wants it.

My concern is the notion of a soft-launch: E.G. one day the game is no longer wiped and those who aren't on at that exact moment are now behind due to the steep skillpoint falloff.

 

That being said, I'm looking to have fun with this alpha lets just hope the servers have enough people online to keep it interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only just purchased it today and it seems it is too heavily focused on harvesting/gathering/crafting. I need to give it more time before I properly say that though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sbz said:

I've only just purchased it today and it seems it is too heavily focused on harvesting/gathering/crafting. I need to give it more time before I properly say that though.

Gearing up does require all these things, that's why it is important to find a good group to join. You spend less time grinding, take less risk, get better gear and end up with more PvP in the end. If you are on NA Order, we have a group going that is open to all active players but you could also check the recruiting guild threads as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sbz said:

I've only just purchased it today and it seems it is too heavily focused on harvesting/gathering/crafting. I need to give it more time before I properly say that though.

The game is designed such that players will be interdependent and each will need to fill specific roles within the game. In the current test, with 10x training speed and low population, everyone tries to be self-sufficient. There aren't many guilds with a significant number of active testers. There's no economy to speak of right now. There's little reason for players to fight over forts and keeps because there are no win conditions and it's easy to export to EKs in real time and craft there.

In the future, you won't be able to export stuff, immediately use that stuff to craft in your EK, then import the items back to the campaign. You'll only get your exports when the campaign ends, so guilds/factions will need crafters working in the campaigns, which means owning forts and keeps will be much more important.

There will also be a lot more people in each campaign. Guilds will have more people playing on a regular basis and they will be organized so that they have people harvesting, crafting and fighting. For the "solo" players, they will need to find their role within their faction. You will absolutely be able to do any one of those exclusively if that is your desire, but not until there is a thriving economy. Right now, crafters can't buy resources from other players because no one is selling them. Fighters can't buy gear because crafters aren't selling any.

In 5.5, the economy was in its infancy. Right now it is prenatal, thanks to the skill wipe. Once the economy really gets going, then you'll be able to buy gear from other players and spend all your time fighting, if you want. You won't need to harvest or craft at all. You might need to protect harvesters and crafters at times, but that's part of the cooperative gameplay. If you want people to harvest for you and craft for you so that you don't have to, then you will need to protect those people so they can do their jobs.

That is the future state of the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Arkade said:

The game is designed such that players will be interdependent and each will need to fill specific roles within the game. In the current test, with 10x training speed and low population, everyone tries to be self-sufficient. There aren't many guilds with a significant number of active testers. There's no economy to speak of right now. There's little reason for players to fight over forts and keeps because there are no win conditions and it's easy to export to EKs in real time and craft there.

In the future, you won't be able to export stuff, immediately use that stuff to craft in your EK, then import the items back to the campaign. You'll only get your exports when the campaign ends, so guilds/factions will need crafters working in the campaigns, which means owning forts and keeps will be much more important.

There will also be a lot more people in each campaign. Guilds will have more people playing on a regular basis and they will be organized so that they have people harvesting, crafting and fighting. For the "solo" players, they will need to find their role within their faction. You will absolutely be able to do any one of those exclusively if that is your desire, but not until there is a thriving economy. Right now, crafters can't buy resources from other players because no one is selling them. Fighters can't buy gear because crafters aren't selling any.

In 5.5, the economy was in its infancy. Right now it is prenatal, thanks to the skill wipe. Once the economy really gets going, then you'll be able to buy gear from other players and spend all your time fighting, if you want. You won't need to harvest or craft at all. You might need to protect harvesters and crafters at times, but that's part of the cooperative gameplay. If you want people to harvest for you and craft for you so that you don't have to, then you will need to protect those people so they can do their jobs.

That is the future state of the game. 

This was an awesome post that put a lot into perspective for me, thank you for taking the time to lay out the info.

I'm completely new to Crowfall in general, have done no research. Literally watched a video and a stream and decided to give it a shot.

Sometimes I forget that this is pre-alpha and the population is not what it's actually going to be on release or soft launch. I'm sure with a larger population it will be a lot more engaging and as you mentioned it will allow different options for players. I.e. if we don't want to harvent and craft, we can pay others for gear, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it stated that its pre alpha. I think you not clearly understood what it means . alpha is a game without much to do . just to test stability. its not like a late beta or even early access where the game is nearly done and need polish/. MMO takes years to be any good . look at ESO had a disaster 1st year and now one of the top MMO around I myself still play it at timeS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Arkade said:

The game is designed such that players will be interdependent and each will need to fill specific roles within the game. In the current test, with 10x training speed and low population, everyone tries to be self-sufficient. There aren't many guilds with a significant number of active testers. There's no economy to speak of right now. There's little reason for players to fight over forts and keeps because there are no win conditions and it's easy to export to EKs in real time and craft there.

In the future, you won't be able to export stuff, immediately use that stuff to craft in your EK, then import the items back to the campaign. You'll only get your exports when the campaign ends, so guilds/factions will need crafters working in the campaigns, which means owning forts and keeps will be much more important.

There will also be a lot more people in each campaign. Guilds will have more people playing on a regular basis and they will be organized so that they have people harvesting, crafting and fighting. For the "solo" players, they will need to find their role within their faction. You will absolutely be able to do any one of those exclusively if that is your desire, but not until there is a thriving economy. Right now, crafters can't buy resources from other players because no one is selling them. Fighters can't buy gear because crafters aren't selling any.

In 5.5, the economy was in its infancy. Right now it is prenatal, thanks to the skill wipe. Once the economy really gets going, then you'll be able to buy gear from other players and spend all your time fighting, if you want. You won't need to harvest or craft at all. You might need to protect harvesters and crafters at times, but that's part of the cooperative gameplay. If you want people to harvest for you and craft for you so that you don't have to, then you will need to protect those people so they can do their jobs.

That is the future state of the game. 

That debate is still going on.  It may be there are exports or raw materials regularly due to short term goal success, and other things. 

The important thing is that the EK has an economy, and to have an economy it has to have regular supply of economic things like resources.

But the imports, yea those are very much going to be limited.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 5 hours of pvp today with a downtime of at most 10 mins. I think they is a significant skill gap between new players and older players in how they not only win fights, but also how they find them. If you stick with it and join a guild, the game becomes significantly more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the small number of mistakes ACECraft have made thus far in Crowfall's develoment, I feel their decision to introduce and use the term 'soft launch' has been the biggest, and most ironic, given the intention was probavbly to offset or prevent the very negative feeings people have about launch. This is similar to the concept of paying for Early Access, where people are reacting to their expectations for a complete game, though what they are really doing is pre-ordering and then gaining testing access.

There is really no such thing as soft launch, as a thing different from a regular launch. The only people left behind will be those who would not be buying at launch, since that is what it is. For those people, as is the cause in general, there will always be people who are behind, as not everyone is going to buy the game on or before launch day. There is no way to avoid that, nor would you want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Anthrage said:

Of the small number of mistakes ACECraft have made thus far in Crowfall's develoment, I feel their decision to introduce and use the term 'soft launch' has been the biggest, and most ironic, given the intention was probavbly to offset or prevent the very negative feeings people have about launch. This is similar to the concept of paying for Early Access, where people are reacting to their expectations for a complete game, though what they are really doing is pre-ordering and then gaining testing access.

There is really no such thing as soft launch, as a thing different from a regular launch. The only people left behind will be those who would not be buying at launch, since that is what it is. For those people, as is the cause in general, there will always be people who are behind, as not everyone is going to buy the game on or before launch day. There is no way to avoid that, nor would you want to.

The use of a term is their biggest mistake?  That's being generous. 

The idea of soft launch is to attempt (I stress attempt) to counter the complete server failure that typically occurs when a new big title MMO opens its world for the first time.  This has massive potential to turn people off to a game when after several years of development, server network architecture is choked by login requests.   ACE has decided to not try to generate additional hype through advertisement in an attempt to limit the players that load up on day one.  They would rather have a slow steady increase of players instead of all of them at once. 

Tons of people have pointed out how this will put the later players at significant disadvantage with the current progression system, so I assume ACE will try to resolve this issue. 


Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 4:54 AM, Zybak said:

Definitely doesn't reek of entitlement or anything. 

Ha!  That's what I said!

 

On 6/3/2018 at 12:12 AM, Zatch said:

I had 5 hours of pvp today with a downtime of at most 10 mins. I think they is a significant skill gap between new players and older players in how they not only win fights, but also how they find them. If you stick with it and join a guild, the game becomes significantly more fun.

How dare you suggest such a thing. 

 

 

This is not a friendly game, team or community to tourist. 


40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2018 at 1:12 AM, Zatch said:

I had 5 hours of pvp today with a downtime of at most 10 mins. I think they is a significant skill gap between new players and older players in how they not only win fights, but also how they find them. If you stick with it and join a guild, the game becomes significantly more fun.

I don't see it necessarily as a "skill" gap as more of an I have equipment and you don't gap. These guys with "skills" just camp/roam around the beachhead, can kill 5-6 guys by spamming "NEWB BE GONE" and "GIT GUUD" abilities and act like they have all the skills, when in reality they have armor/weapons and you don't. Hopefully ACE can continue to make progress making it easier to figure out how to get the equipment and armor beyond logging out and into random kingdoms trying to buy or craft items with weird ass import/export functions. What a joke that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...