Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Wildcrafting - Official Discussion Thread

Really cool. I just think it has potential to make more close to a profession instead of a free-for-all-first-come-first-served as the article seems to imply.

As a explorer being a rare plants harverster sounds hella cool. Some training bonuses would be cool too, maybe a training to harverst a better quality plant or smt.

12 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

Hm?

Did someone say EK?

Now that would be something interesting for Geomancy, if the parcels when created had a biome style. 

I could totally see ACE selling a "Upside down recipe pack" that contained all the parcels and building recipes in that style.

On 6/1/2018 at 2:43 PM, KrakkenSmacken said:

Now that would be something interesting for Geomancy, if the parcels when created had a biome style. 

I could totally see ACE selling a "Upside down recipe pack" that contained all the parcels and building recipes in that style.

Or just give the feature to VIP"s to allow them change Biomes in their EK.  Instant win for ACE and players.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

As a novice player I'd like to say that it is nice to see updates talking about these little details.

The core gathering experience is something I enjoy a lot.  Especially when more systems built on top allow for an exploiting experience ( How can I profit the most in a period of time?  Search for resources.  Harvest resources.  Get killed.  Search for resources ).

I always think about whether or not I'll be able to just set out on my own to "pioneer" ( Not necessarily the first, but hopefully not PvP every inch of the map 24/7 ) and pick up flowers alongside a pack donkey.

GAAAH, I need time and a Desktop, I can't have this launching on me while I'm at school.

P.S.  Pretty colors.  Cactus, we meet again, nature's pincushion.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

I like the idea of more plain old loot to entice people who aren't career harvesters built for running away to actually be carrying stuff when they get killed.

I mean as much fun as looting everyone's stacks of apples and steaks is, it gets a bit old.

Just make it snappy to snatch but not so snappy there's no risk/reward metric and for god's sake please no loot window. While we're at it, can we have a "loot all" button for mobs? Not players (I think forcing players to take time to loot each other is valuable) but most mobs only have 1 or 2 items and by default you usually don't want to leave any lying around.

Dauntless has a good feel to its gathering mechanic (well its the only gathering they have) where you don't even stop to gather, you just play an upper torso 'snatch plant' animation and your run speed is slightly slowed for about 1 second to enforce the feel of grabbing the plant. You can just kinda run through plants and hold E and it feels good without feeling like you're going too far off the main goal (in their case, finding a big monster to kill)

I like this because in a PvP setting you're still taking on a minimal level of risk by slowing down, leaving yourself in the open for a bit longer, so there are situations where you wouldn't want to harvest. That makes it a choice point rather than a robotic "I saw the thingy and clicked it" interaction.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

If it’s anything like other survival games I think we will see grabbing from it a few times and getting a main thing that it will drop like fiber or something then some random stuff like food and seeds and the rest of the ruined plant will fall to the ground after there is nothing left. Like Conan Exiles or Arc. Those are way more in line with Crowfall survival style than Skyrim imo.

On 6/4/2018 at 1:27 AM, PopeUrban said:

Not players (I think forcing players to take time to loot each other is valuable)

I'm sure there are already players with macros built to do this? 

If there is, and ACE can't stop it, I would rather have an auto loot than let only those that can/will write macros have an advantage.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:27 AM, PopeUrban said:

I like the idea of more plain old loot to entice people who aren't career harvesters built for running away to actually be carrying stuff when they get killed.

I mean as much fun as looting everyone's stacks of apples and steaks is, it gets a bit old.

Just make it snappy to snatch but not so snappy there's no risk/reward metric and for god's sake please no loot window. While we're at it, can we have a "loot all" button for mobs? Not players (I think forcing players to take time to loot each other is valuable) but most mobs only have 1 or 2 items and by default you usually don't want to leave any lying around.

Dauntless has a good feel to its gathering mechanic (well its the only gathering they have) where you don't even stop to gather, you just play an upper torso 'snatch plant' animation and your run speed is slightly slowed for about 1 second to enforce the feel of grabbing the plant. You can just kinda run through plants and hold E and it feels good without feeling like you're going too far off the main goal (in their case, finding a big monster to kill)

I like this because in a PvP setting you're still taking on a minimal level of risk by slowing down, leaving yourself in the open for a bit longer, so there are situations where you wouldn't want to harvest. That makes it a choice point rather than a robotic "I saw the thingy and clicked it" interaction.

The whole reason there is no auto loot is to make it more dangerous and add more risk to farming npcs for gold or leather. If you don’t want a loot window then it would pry spawn on the ground and you would need to run over it to pick it up. That’s just going by the two ways they have of acquiring items. Loot window or runing over it after it drops. Just running by and getting slowed for a second doesn’t seem likely as they said it would take a few seconds.

you can’t compare this game to a game like dauntless as Crowfall really has three focuses and not just one gathering, crafting and PvP. All three make up the whole and each one can be a full time playstyle. So saying it is a PvP game is only 1/3 right.

Edited by Jastorin

8 hours ago, Jastorin said:

The whole reason there is no auto loot is to make it more dangerous and add more risk to farming npcs for gold or leather. If you don’t want a loot window then it would pry spawn on the ground and you would need to run over it to pick it up. That’s just going by the two ways they have of acquiring items. Loot window or runing over it after it drops. Just running by and getting slowed for a second doesn’t seem likely as they said it would take a few seconds.

you can’t compare this game to a game like dauntless as Crowfall really has three focuses and not just one gathering, crafting and PvP. All three make up the whole and each one can be a full time playstyle. So saying it is a PvP game is only 1/3 right.

I didn't say that it's a PvP game alone.

However the entire point of this particular system is and interstitial "soft harvesting" mechanic to promote and reward exploration, not a full time activity like other forms of harvesting.

There's a reason breaking nodes doesn't create a loot window, namely because the flow of that activity would feel sluggish compared to its intended time to completion and the focus of swiftly taking down and moving between nodes. Similarly, the primary risk in PvE combat is the time spent skinning and the spending of resources and attention on mobs, not the act of looting them.

This is wholly different than the act of looting a player, where the loot window is a necessity because another player can easily contain more loot that your inventory can hold, and to discourage "hot looting" in the middle of group combat actions to ensure that clearing the field and forcing the opponent to release is largely required to get their stuff.

If the goal of wildcrafting is a thing to do to encourage people to wander afield in the process of other actions rather than a focal action in itself, then the placement of nodes and rapidity of gathering them is far more important. As this blog states, this isn't a thing that's intended to stop forward momentum, but rest inside that forward momentum to create an engaging gameplay loop INSIDE the primary loops of PvE, PvP, and mainline harvesting. Having it compete on time and interaction scales with them does not accomplish this goal.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"