Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Satellite internet for Crowfall

Anyone doing it? It was suggested that it should be fine but of course the latency or ping might be an issue. Download speeds should be good enough but typically the upload is a bit slower. I live in the country and am currently using a 4g wifi hotspot and the game is a bit laggy. No cable or fios is available, dsl is but it is marginal at 1.1 to 3 gm d/l and comes via verizon who I would like to avoid. O3b looks great but it appears to be too early in its development, no personal/home options right now.

Any thoughts as to potential options or potential feedback from the crow team as to whether or not Crowfall might work on say Viasat? Thanks in advance.

Seems like this has the potential to be a bad idea. My 4g connection runs about 7-8g ul and not much more for d/l, I am thinking that this trade off for the higher upload speeds would be preferable then looking at a 3g u/l & 25g d/l with satellite. I am assuming the ping would be about the same? Not very versed in this, so any input, especially from the team would be very welcome. I am concerned in the long run with larger scale pvp battles, neither will be good enough. Anyways, enjoying the game, looking forward to watch its growth.

Edited by Rykus00

My personal experience with satellite internet is limited to when I would have to use it at my mother's farm. What I know about it is that there are a lot of elements that factor into how stable the connection will be. That makes it difficult for anyone to predict ping results. Maybe someone smarter than me about this stuff can offer more insight. 

Satellite has the light speed problem of going up into orbit, and then back down. It's not just a bandwidth issue, it's a network latency limitation issue.

Until we humans figure out how to push data faster than the speed of light, it will always take and the very best 1 microsecond per 299.792 meters traveled.

From Wikipedia.

Compared to ground-based communication, all geostationary satellite communications experience higher latency due to the signal having to travel 35,786 km (22,236 mi) to a satellite in geostationary orbit and back to Earth again. Even at the speed of light (about 300,000 km/s or 186,000 miles per second), this delay can be significant. If all other signaling delays could be eliminated, it still takes a radio signal about 250 milliseconds (ms), or about a quarter of a second, to travel to the satellite and back to the ground.[18] The absolute minimum total amount of delay is variable, due to the satellite staying in one place in the sky, while ground based users can be directly below with a roundtrip latency of 239.6 ms, or far to the side of the planet near the horizon with a roundtrip latency of 279.0 ms.[19]

So yea,  sorry but .25 seconds per request/response is going to be very noticeable no matter what.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Yeah, thats why the O3b tech looks promising in this area, the satellites will be in much lower orbit so the signal will have a much shorter path. I feel like I should not mess with it and see how far my 4g connection takes me as essentially it is the same thing. Thanks for the reply`s.

Yea 140ms (est) is much better than 250ms, but still pretty high for twitch play.

What region are you in? ACE may have a server instance up closer to home for you eventually depending on market size. I think they use AWS, so may have access to cloudfront for getting things as close to players as possible.

I am actually very close to Virgina, Maryland to be exact. Not exactly sure what 4g network I am on, the guy at the store 'hacks' various phones for me, Ive had to change phone numbers multiple times recently as the company catches on. So am not sure if I am on the network that I pay my bill to or if I am on a network related to the device I am using, which is no longer the actual phone. It is weird too, he says I am the only one who gets caught, much less multiple times yet I use like 1/10th the bandwidth of some his customers that he does this for.  If it was not for him, Id be stuck back w/ verizon dsl and I do not much care for the co and the way they operate.

BTW, thanks for the help, customer support thus far w/ Crowfall has been top notch, from start to finish beginning with my multiple emails about how I might pay for the starter pack, not having a bank account and all. Kudos to all involved.

Edited by Rykus00