Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sutek

Thinking about getting the game. Some concerns.

Hello all. I just learned about this game and what I read about it looks very promising. As an old Shadowbane player the core concept of the game sounds amazing. However, I have some concerns.

-Grind: I absolutely despise grinding and artificial time sinks. Performing tedious tasks in order to get anything done is against my idea of fun.  Is there much of it in Crowfall? When PvEing I'd like to do some engaging activities instead of mindless farming.

-Combat log: What's the company policy on combat logging? I come from a game that does absolutely nothing about combat logging and pisses me off greatly.

-Setting: One of the things I loved about SB was it's setting. As soon as you left noob island you realized you were in a brutal world just by looking around. Also it had a very developed lore behind it. For what I can see Crowfall setting is a bit "childish" in design for a game based on people killing other people and razing cities to the ground. I know gameplay comes first, but playing in a beliavable world adds a lot to the experience. Also, the huge rodent character class... ewwww.

Is Crowfall lore going to be expanded? I can't find much info on the forums, just a little bit of background about the gods and that's it.  

-Servers: Will the game run on dedicated servers? Also I'd like to know if there will be region servers with timezones? While I like to play with people from around the globe, I'd like to stay away from those who shall not be named. It's fun at the beggining, but we all know how it ended in SB.

I think that's all. 

I know I want to buy it, convince me to do so!

Hey @Sutek,

Grind:  Most of what you'd call grind in this game thus far is the resource harvesting.  You have to acquire some tools, then whack on a tree or a bit of ore.  The skinning is slightly more interesting since you have to kill an animal first before whacking on a corpse.  In the future, they'll be adding points of interest that will supplement or even replace the manual harvesting we're doing in the test version of the game.  I didn't play Shadowbane, but I believe they'll be similar to the Mines you know.  All of that said, it is a group game first and foremost.  If you can find a guild or friends to keep you geared for fighting, you won't technically have to engage in any of that.  We already have player-run vendors, so you can also acquire your gear by farming up a bit of gold and buying what you can't (or won't) make yourself.

Combat log:  In current testing, there's a 20 second countdown after clicking the button before you logout.  I've never been attacked during logout, so I can't say if it cancels your logout or not.  On logout, your character and all of your inventory and equipment is removed from the game.  I'd like to see something akin to Rust's "sleepers" on the harder campaign modes, but maybe that's just me?

Setting:  I assume it's the graphical style of the characters/world that looks childish to you.  To each his own, I suppose.  Maybe it'll grow on you the first time you behead an enemy? ;)

There's quite a bit of lore there, you just have to explore all the Pantheon, Bestiary, Race and Class entries on the website (and use a bit of imagination to fill in the blanks).  The lore in general isn't represented in-game yet (i.e. things to read about, people to talk to) but I think that's just part of having the pre-alpha content we do now.  I don't think we'll see too much more of it until we're much closer to launch, just in case they want to tie more of the overall narrative into the game's various systems.  JTC is probably chomping at the bit to get more of it to us, but it just isn't time for it yet.

Servers:  We're currently on AWS servers and as far as I know that will remain the plan for launch.  They did a tech video some time ago, but it basically gives them the ability to spin a server up anywhere in the world that has the infrastructure and audience to support it.  Thus far in testing, we've seen US, EU, Australia, and Singapore servers.  One important note; the game uses a decentralized setup when it comes to character and world data.  The tech they're developing (and the lore to support it) is about moving your character and gear between worlds (servers). At any given time you could play on any world with any other player, and (mostly) bring your character and items with you as you move.  There will be caveats to this, of course, but it should be great if you want to play with friends in another country.  Maybe not so great if you're trying to avoid "that group".

There are plenty of SB vets around, maybe they'll chime in on what you may be looking for in a Shadowbane 2.0.

Sounds good @Hyriol thanks for the reply. Sorry for not replying earlier, but I was limited to 1 post during the first 24 hours lol.

Will the economy be safe against goldfarmers and markets for rl money outisde the game?

11 minutes ago, Sutek said:

Sounds good @Hyriol thanks for the reply. Sorry for not replying earlier, but I was limited to 1 post during the first 24 hours lol.

Will the economy be safe against goldfarmers and markets for rl money outisde the game?

Safe? No, it will happen. There is little you can do to totally prevent people from accepting RL payments for in-game goods and services.

However, gold farmers are going to need to risk farming in the pvp-infested campaigns. That will make gold farming in Crowfall more difficult than in typical themepark MMOs.

IhhQKY6.gif

51 minutes ago, Jah said:

Safe? No, it will happen. There is little you can do to totally prevent people from accepting RL payments for in-game goods and services.

However, gold farmers are going to need to risk farming in the pvp-infested campaigns. That will make gold farming in Crowfall more difficult than in typical themepark MMOs.

AND

Gold farmers will not have as much of a pay to win market from resources built up in the EK's due to the import restrictions.

Want to avoid most gold farmers, go live in the zero import dregs.  :)

3 hours ago, Sutek said:

People will always be willing to trade stuff for RL cash.  There's nothing you can ever do to stop that.  If Jah goes offers me $50 for something in game how would the devs ever prevent me from trading it to him or why would they care?  Large scale gold farmers though will be at a deficit though, will the investment in an account and the time needed to harvest be worth it trying to make a living off of selling the materials?  You're probably never going to see a wave of gold farmers in CF, not until the accounts have aged to a point where farming is easy and that's going to take years. 

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, mandalore said:

People will always be willing to trade stuff for RL cash.  There's nothing you can ever do to stop that.  If Jah goes offers me $50 for something in game how would the devs ever prevent me from trading it to him or why would they care?  Large scale gold farmers though will be at a deficit though, will the investment in an account and the time needed to harvest be worth it trying to make a living off of selling the materials?  You're probably never going to see a wave of gold farmers in CF, not until the accounts have aged to a point where farming is easy and that's going to take years. 

you will see gold farmer in about 1 week of ANY mmorpg. People will always buy gold and the value you get will be stupidly low but they will exist. The question is how much span will be prevented/stop so it doesn't feel like there are a million gold sellers cause even one website with 10-50 spam accounts spamming makes it feel like the worlds is flooded with gold sellers.

Edited by YouTubejasonwivart

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

3 minutes ago, YouTubejasonwivart said:

you will see gold farmer in about 1 week of ANY mmorpg. People will always buy gold and the value you get will be stupidly low but they will exist. The question is how much span will be prevented/stop so it doesn't feel like there are a million gold sellers cause even one website with 10-50 spam accounts spamming makes it feel like the worlds is flooded with gold sellers.

You can't effectively farm and defend yourself in this game, not solo.  Please let there be gold farmers, with bad ping, harvesting spec, trying to solo mother loads in this launch. 

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

33 minutes ago, mandalore said:

You can't effectively farm and defend yourself in this game, not solo.  Please let there be gold farmers, with bad ping, harvesting spec, trying to solo mother loads in this launch. 

it will happen, gold sellers are everywhere. They can make resources in their own EK as well remember and its not just "gold" they will. They will sell vip as well from the cash shop as it is not bound. HOW??? credit card fraud. Why does it take them about 1 week to sell stuff... they need to see if its worth the time/effort to start a new game. They need demand as well, so once they start seeing demand it appears.

Edited by YouTubejasonwivart

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

1 minute ago, YouTubejasonwivart said:

it will happen, gold sellers are everywhere. They can make resources in their own EK as well remember and its not just "gold" they will. They will sell vip as well from the cash shop as it is not bound. HOW??? credit card fraud.

WTF are they going to do with r1 resources?

wiDfyPp.png

2 minutes ago, mandalore said:

The risk I see,  dust and apples and other foods. Both will be needed/wanted in campaigns.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Just now, mandalore said:

they sell them, if they can generate enough of them for free with little to no effort on their end in their sweatshops they will gladly do it. 1 penny at a time adds up if they can run 100s of games and make 10 pennys an hour per game for minimal effort. That would come to $240 dollars a day for example

9 minutes ago, YouTubejasonwivart said:

they sell them, if they can generate enough of them for free with little to no effort on their end in their sweatshops they will gladly do it. 1 penny at a time adds up if they can run 100s of games and make 10 pennys an hour per game for minimal effort. That would come to $240 dollars a day for example

Good luck running this game at that pace. 

With all the moving, aiming, swinging, equipping the needed replacements for broken items, and other things, harvesting is probably too involved to run at that pace.

25 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Good luck running this game at that pace. 

With all the moving, aiming, swinging, equipping the needed replacements for broken items, and other things, harvesting is probably too involved to run at that pace.

I keep forgetting you soft bastards want imports for the faction campaigns.  Gold farming won't impact the dregs at all.  Please, and sincerely mean this, bring that afk solo farming to an actual campaign and watch the farmers get farmed till they leave. 

wiDfyPp.png

And you might get a neph thief with a 2h sword, I won't hold my breath. 

wiDfyPp.png

I feel bad for that campaign.  It's going to be Mourning, or as close to custarded up dupes/exploited sb we will ever get. 

We need QFT to get hired by ACE and run triple TaN's...

Edited by mandalore

wiDfyPp.png