jshiu999

To be honest, I thought Crowfall would be BR-like

19 hours ago, mandalore said:

This whole BR fotm is going to die before CF releases so why build for something that wont last? 

I remember when people said the same about MOBAs. Companies are dumping tons of money into BRs, they aren't going away anytime soon. If anything, they will evolve into something larger and more popular.

Honestly don't believe CF will have more players than Ninja has monthly subs or daily concurrent viewers with what CF has shown so far.

20 hours ago, APE said:

I remember when people said the same about MOBAs. Companies are dumping tons of money into BRs, they aren't going away anytime soon. If anything, they will evolve into something larger and more popular.

Honestly don't believe CF will have more players than Ninja has monthly subs or daily concurrent viewers with what CF has shown so far.

A lot of mobas did kinda die, and you don't see nearly as many being made (practically none). We've got the big 3, Lol, Dota2 and HotS. Will BR die too? We can only hope at this point.

23 hours ago, izkimar said:

A lot of mobas did kinda die, and you don't see nearly as many being made (practically none). We've got the big 3, Lol, Dota2 and HotS. Will BR die too? We can only hope at this point.

Some have shut down. Some have small numbers. But the genre as a whole is greater than MMOs.

I played Smite a bit but don't particularly enjoy mobas.

However wanting a game or genre to die seems very silly and selfish. More people gaming is great for everyone. Likely CF wouldn't exist without taking some inspiration from lobby games.

BR might see 100 tries and only a couple survive but that's how it goes.

Gaming moves forward and we get new formats that don't forget the past, hopefully.

As someone that enjoys variety, having options in a game has never been a reason for not playing. If someone skips CF because there is a BR mode, hilarious. 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:04 AM, izkimar said:

League has 70 million people who play it a month and makes over a a billion dollars a year.  WoW at its cap was 14.5 million...

57 minutes ago, mandalore said:

League has 70 million people who play it a month and makes over a a billion dollars a year.  WoW at its cap was 14.5 million...

I'm not sure what you're trying to say since I've already mentioned that LoL is one of the few mobas still standing. Popular games are successful? Are there many mobas springing up outside of maybe the mobile market which has a vacancy when it comes to the genre? Fortnite and PUGB are the LoL/Dota 2 of the battle royale genre.

Edited by izkimar

I'm saying way way way more people play moba's than mmo's and comparing them isn't accurate.  The most successful MMO of all time, WoW: WOTLk , is roughly 20% of the population of the most successful MOBA, League.  They aren't the same, they don't appeal to the same people, they aren't the same genre and comparing them is a false equivalency.  MOBA's are vastly more suffuscul than MMO's as a genre. 

Edited by mandalore

3 hours ago, mandalore said:

I'm saying way way way more people play moba's than mmo's and comparing them isn't accurate.  The most successful MMO of all time, WoW: WOTLk , is roughly 20% of the population of the most successful MOBA, League.  They aren't the same, they don't appeal to the same people, they aren't the same genre and comparing them is a false equivalency.  MOBA's are vastly more suffuscul than MMO's as a genre. 

I wasn't comparing them, I was talking about genre fatigue, of which both MMORPGS and MOBAS suffered from. Remember all those games?Heroes of Newerth, Infinite Crisis, Dawngate, Sins of Dark Age, Blood Line Champions, and few more that I vague remember. Where are they now? Dead or on life support. Most triple AAA studios won't even touch the mmorpg market anymore, they've settled for implementing MMO lite features. BR and survival games (which are starting to die out, because BR games are killing them) will inevitably suffer the same fate. You'll have 1 or maybe 2 games at most that will survive, the rest will die out and developers will move on to other things as they have in the past.

Crowfall is an amalgamation of a lot of different genres, so hopefully they've "future proofed" it against such fatigue. 

Edited by izkimar