Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Mid-Year Checkpoint - Official Discussion Thread

Just now, DocHollidaze said:

It seemed to generate fights in earlier version maps, if for no other reason to create a place to congregate and duke it out.

Personally I think fights don't happen for a variety of other reasons. For example, numbers disparity, difficulty in grouping up, debilitating lag, etc.

The only reason people fought at them in an earlier version was because the highest level resource nodes were positioned near them. That made POIs little more than a decoration near the resource nodes.

I am familiar with the variety of reasons that activity remains low. That doesn't mean there is nothing to be gained from adding incentives to fight over POIs.

IhhQKY6.gif

9 minutes ago, Jah said:

The only reason people fought at them in an earlier version was because the highest level resource nodes were positioned near them. That made POIs little more than a decoration near the resource nodes.

I am familiar with the variety of reasons that activity remains low. That doesn't mean there is nothing to be gained from adding incentives to fight over POIs.

Nothing to be gained? What could be lost? Well plenty, as they even said in their announcement here, fixing stuff that we don't like causes them to be delayed. Aside from the pretty terrible PR, they are correct, though I find it unavoidable based on their deployment standards we've experienced here.

I'd prefer they at least delay in order to make the game as an MMO function reasonably at least.

Changing the mechanism for POI reward to do the same thing but in a different way is just moving chairs around, meanwhile people aren't going to bother regardless because if you get in a fight with more than like two groups the server shts itself. 

I would like to see POI's have timed-event based stuff, etc. so I'm sort of on the same page, I just don't think it will change anything as long as performance of the game server is so poor. People will show up one time, try to have a good fight, get wrecked by lag, and then go away again.

2 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

I would like to see POI's have timed-event based stuff, etc. so I'm sort of on the same page, I just don't think it will change anything as long as performance of the game server is so poor.

Agreed. I no way am I suggesting that POI incentives should be prioritized over game performance.

IhhQKY6.gif

11 minutes ago, Jah said:

Agreed. I no way am I suggesting that POI incentives should be prioritized over game performance.

Performance is moot if theres nothing worth doing and vice versa applies equally too. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

I learned about Crowfall in Oct 2017 and then bought in Nov 17th 2017 and have been testing ever since. Im a husband and a father and work 12hrs a day for 14days then go off for 7days. All of my free time (when I have any) is spent testing Crowfall. You guys have come such a long way. And I am thankful for your communication with the playerbase and keeping us informed. Just being able to test at this stage is good enough for me. Yes some things arent where they should be yet, and that's to be expected in a Pre-Alpha. But I enjoy the game everytime I logg in, hell even customer support is the quickest and most helpful Ive ever had to deal with since I started playing MMOs in 2000

Keep up the hard work! And thanks for making Crowfall! 

Xalon

7 hours ago, Ginko said:

Do you plan on adding major resource mines like in Shadowbane at some point? Having something that guilds can fight over for resources Just isn't in the game. We really don't have anything worth fighting over...

I had an idea for that here:

If the first new biome is desert, a well or cistern POI makes even more sense.

Glad to hear you're not rushing things. Also, huzzah on licensing your MMO back end. Democratization of core software is a universal good for the industry that allows more, better, cheaper games!

This sounds like you got the randomizer efficiently randomizing as a 5.7 core feature. That makes me extremely happy even thought I've criticized its development priority.

The pace of development this year, even with the persistant lag problems, has been impressive. Looking forward to more meaty monthly/bimonthly updates!

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Disclaimer: I'm from EU and not CIS (though that depends on Russia, if they wanna anschluss us, can't really do much), so more of an "asking for a friend" interest. (Thinking about it, I do have friends from CIS, maybe I can get them to play CF at release.. hmmm)

Similar in many ways to our deal with Travian Games in Europe, this company (to be revealed later in an official announcement) will provide assistance with territorial operations, server hosting, billing and localization.
For those of you playing from Russia right now, nothing will change for you in the near-term – but you can expect to notice improved communication, service and support as we get closer to launch. Details on this exciting turn of events to follow later this year!

I'm kind of out of the loop, what is the stance on region-locks? I faintly remember no lock for EU backers (aka can select NA) when Travian happened.

FAQ says this:

• Does this apply to the game worldwide or only North America?

These answers are for North America and Europe only. Other territories (China, Japan, Korea, Russia, etc.) will have regionally appropriate pricing. Details related to other markets will be released at a later time once local partners for those territories have been selected.

Regionally appropriate pricing foreshadows some kind of lock for me (and I can understand the reasons), but I'm not sure if there is an "official reply" to this question already and I just couldn't find it.

If it will be covered later during the announcement then I'm satisfied, just wanted to know.

We haven’t announced this publicly yet, but we recently signed a deal with a partner to help us bring Crowfall® to Russia and the CIS territories!

Similar in many ways to our deal with Travian Games in Europe, this company (to be revealed later in an official announcement) will provide assistance with territorial operations, server hosting, billing and localization. We’re always excited to reach new players, obviously, and in this case we believe that our unique vision (and PvP focus) have the potential to make Crowfall a huge hit in this very competitive region.

tenor.gif

splitting community (euro zone has not so much customizers) is worst idea ever.

giving rights to local companies (like mail.ru, gamenet, 101xp) to publicate and support projects is even worst idea (travian for eu already was)

for me this news is become n1 in list of all CF bad news right before performance issue

sell game constantly from self, host on NA, spit/ignore on the laws. out territory already without laws for 20 years, relax, you get no issue with this. local cif localisators do not work in the legal field

Edited by makkon

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

We're still with you.

You guys are the pros.  Just keep making the money flow, and we'll continue looking forward to a well-baked game.  It's been stated before, but MMOs live and die by how good they are, not by when they launch.  Stay the course!

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

On 6/16/2018 at 3:21 AM, Dhorfel said:

Disclaimer: I'm from EU and not CIS (though that depends on Russia, if they wanna anschluss us, can't really do much), so more of an "asking for a friend" interest. (Thinking about it, I do have friends from CIS, maybe I can get them to play CF at release.. hmmm)

I'm kind of out of the loop, what is the stance on region-locks? I faintly remember no lock for EU backers (aka can select NA) when Travian happened.

FAQ says this:

Regionally appropriate pricing foreshadows some kind of lock for me (and I can understand the reasons), but I'm not sure if there is an "official reply" to this question already and I just couldn't find it.

If it will be covered later during the announcement then I'm satisfied, just wanted to know.

We do expect regional locks for this territory, as is common for almost all MMOs where the pricing levels for access and/or business model deviates significantly from our combined North American/EU service.  

Given we have a player-driven economy, allowing people to buy in at different pricing levels will unbalance the game and lead to undesirable behaviors that will hurt the level playing field we've promised for Crowfall.

That said, anyone who backed us early in Russia will still be able to play in the North American/EU service as promised, and they will also get their backer rewards on an account in the Russian service if the player chooses to accept that.

This access change for Russia won't happen immediately of course, but it will come later this year.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

1 hour ago, Tyrant said:

We do expect regional locks for this territory, as is common for almost all MMOs where the pricing levels for access and/or business model deviates significantly from our combined North American/EU service.  

Given we have a player-driven economy, allowing people to buy in at different pricing levels will unbalance the game and lead to undesirable behaviors that will hurt the level playing field we've promised for Crowfall.

That said, anyone who backed us early in Russia will still be able to play in the North American/EU service as promised, and they will also get their backer rewards on an account in the Russian service if the player chooses to accept that.

Thank you for the reply, just to be sure I understood it correctly, it will be impossible (legally) to buy NA/EU version of CF from CIS, even if they were to "agree" to pay the "correct" (EU/NA) price after the change?

If (early-)backers from CIS can play on NA/EU (which should mean it's not an "IP-region-lock", the usual kind where VPNs are used to play it regardless), then in theory if someone from NA/EU "gifts" them a copy of CF, will they be able to play on NA/EU? Gifting a Backer-copy? Legal problems for both?

I mean from my POV, as long as someone from CIS accepts the different (higher) costs of playing on NA/EU (both the initial and the additional purchases), the "only" reason to not allow that is if the contract with "the Russian Company" does not allow it (which can be understandable, even if not desirable by every players). Well, not counting the additional administration and support for the confusion, having 2 CF versions available...

This may all be covered in the article when the partnership is announced in more detail, if so that's okay, I'm in no rush. (Though my East-EU blood is screaming at me to search for the loopholes, can't help it...)

22 minutes ago, Dhorfel said:

Thank you for the reply, just to be sure I understood it correctly, it will be impossible (legally) to buy NA/EU version of CF from CIS, even if they were to "agree" to pay the "correct" (EU/NA) price after the change?

If (early-)backers from CIS can play on NA/EU (which should mean it's not an "IP-region-lock", the usual kind where VPNs are used to play it regardless), then in theory if someone from NA/EU "gifts" them a copy of CF, will they be able to play on NA/EU? Gifting a Backer-copy? Legal problems for both?

I mean from my POV, as long as someone from CIS accepts the different (higher) costs of playing on NA/EU (both the initial and the additional purchases), the "only" reason to not allow that is if the contract with "the Russian Company" does not allow it (which can be understandable, even if not desirable by every players). Well, not counting the additional administration and support for the confusion, having 2 CF versions available...

This may all be covered in the article when the partnership is announced in more detail, if so that's okay, I'm in no rush. (Though my East-EU blood is screaming at me to search for the loopholes, can't help it...)

As a player, I don't think that's a valid "only".

Players from other parts of the world will have a miserable ping no matter what ACE does.  You can't overcome the speed of light limitation.

If that ping can cause network issues for other players, and not just the person with it, it would hardly be fair to other paying players to have to deal with lag issues induced by someone trying to circumvent reasonable restrictions, like keeping to viable regions.

Postponing the release to me is certainly not discouraging or disappointing. I had fears the game would be released like due to lack of funding before it is developed to a point where it will be appealing to the masses. Most people as you can see from the daily population want to see much more from a game then what has been developed and released to date. We current testers are certainly not the typical gaming consumer. There is an enormous amount of content promised and not even close to being in game yet. What is in game still must be optimized and polished along with the rest of the content still to be added.

When I first heard that the intentions were to release the game in 2018 I posted a request, “what will the finished game look like?”. This was for the most part unanswered, but I was sure one of two things would happen, an unfinished and unstable game would be released or the date would be pushed back to 2019 maybe second quarter.

This is the most reassuring thing I have seen from ACE and thank you for the clear statement.

Our priority is – and has to be – to make a great game for you, our backers. Adding time to our schedule is never something we do lightly, but when given the choice between getting it right and calling it done, we will choose the first answer, the only correct answer, every time.

I still cant say I know exactly what the finished game will look like but I am comforted knowing there is a real desire to get it right before calling it done. The concepts for Crowfall are amazing. Knowing this commitment is in place has me here for the long run and looking forward to 5.7 and beyond.

1 hour ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

As a player, I don't think that's a valid "only".

Players from other parts of the world will have a miserable ping no matter what ACE does.  You can't overcome the speed of light limitation.

If that ping can cause network issues for other players, and not just the person with it, it would hardly be fair to other paying players to have to deal with lag issues induced by someone trying to circumvent reasonable restrictions, like keeping to viable regions.

In theory yes, region locks could help, but in Crowfall's case:

1.) There are already players from there who can "induce lag issues", "legally" playing on NA/EU, the Backers.

2.) If the masses(/majority) were to play on NA/EU with the more expensive packages, the russian partner would have almost no reason to make it cheaper, so russian zerg swarming onto EU depends on the russian partner, if they're decent it's unlikely (which is a big question, but we can do nothing about that). (Would you pay more to have a worse experience? I don't think lots of players would.)

3.) There is almost no "quality" difference between a russian and an East-EU player's ping for NA, both are "horrible" (depending on your views of horrible of course), Russians are regularly placed on "EU" servers when they're not locked out, so the ping argument is not that great for that one either. And I don't believe that imposing an EU region-lock to have NA only to NA players would be welcomed by the backers, though I may be wrong. (I remember when Travian happened, and even earlier during KS, EU folks asking if they are allowed to play on NA or are locked out, so it was important to them, I don't think this disappeared.)

Edited by Dhorfel

3 hours ago, Dhorfel said:

The Russian company has the exclusive right to all Russian/CIS customers, with the exception of the customers who purchased from ArtCraft before they bring up their website and registration.  Those early customers get their rewards on both services and access to both services (subject to accepting the terms and conditions for the services).  This option that we offer the prior Russian/CIS ArtCraft customers is not transferable to other accounts.

It is normal and reasonable for a distributor/publisher to get exclusive rights to specific territories for games.

We don't have issues with sharing servers between regions *except when the pricing is dramatically different or business models vary*, as it causes issues with the level playing field we want for the in-game environment, given our game has a player driven economy.  On top of that there are server, bandwidth and customer service cost allocation issues that have to be worked out.

We went through extra effort jointly with Travian for the EU and North American to be a combined service, and that worked because the prices are equivalent.  Even though only a minority of customers likely will take advantage of the cross-Atlantic play, we wanted this option and it worked for us so long as we had equivalent pricing and business model.

I hope this clarifies things.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook