Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much pay to win there is?

Alec

Hello everyone.

Came back to look at how Crowfall is doing.

I see that there are now no store with selling virtual goods with prices up to 7000€, which was one of the main turn off to avoid this MMO. Now I see that there's only VIP time to let you train more classes and cosmetic stuff only but for one thing that makes me ask a few things.

account-level services such as increasing the size and population capacity of your personal kingdom or reserving your guild name.

"..such as..." means that there are other things that are left out and these are only an excerpt of them.

Is there any other undocumented factor that may give an advantage over non-micropayment players?

How much of a boost exactly that is?

Those are all the questions I have for the moment.

3 minutes ago, Alec said:

Hello everyone.

Came back to look at how Crowfall is doing.

I see that there are now no store with selling virtual goods with prices up to 7000€, which was one of the main turn off to avoid this MMO. Now I see that there's only VIP time to let you train more classes and cosmetic stuff only but for one thing that makes me ask a few things.

"..such as..." means that there are other things that are left out and these are only an excerpt of them.

Is there any other undocumented factor that may give an advantage over non-micropayment players?

Those are all the questions I have for the moment.

Not yet, but the the final state of what VIP will get has not been fully determined.

There is really no way to know what you personally consider a "boost" or "advantage" because it's impossible to tell what your game goals are. For example, if your playing CF primarily for building an EK empire (suggested because you didn't like the large EK packages), your idea of advantage would be much different than someone who stays almost exclusively in the Dregs and has no personal EK development.

Pay to win is such a contentious topic, and it seems almost nobody shares the same opinion on what is actually "winning".  

2 hours ago, Alec said:

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Pay to win is such a contentious topic, and it seems almost nobody shares the same opinion on what is actually "winning".  

^This.

And, welcome to the forums. :)

I'll share some of my personal views though and hope it will help. Regarding this topic the first question, in my point of view, would be: "What is winning?"

In Crowfall this is very clearly connected to the campaign worlds. Talking about winning is talking about winning campaign worlds. And advantages are things that will empower you in the campaigns. For that is where you get all the resources from. Winning the game is winning the campaign! For ... this is the core of the game. EK's are housing and socializing areas. With some (but quite restricted) economic influence to some (not all) of the campaign worlds.

Eternal Kingdoms are for those who generally like housing and socializing a lot. And for "some" of those who like crafting and economics (depending on the circumstances/details). That is why a lot of the old backer rewards mostly included EK stuff. EK's are not meant to dramatically influence the campaigns and ACE made very clear, from the very beginning, that what you do is backing the game ... and you may get some convinience stuff, but nothing that would make you automatically be more successful in the campaigns. Of course, if you put more work into it, you might use EK stuff to be more successful in campaigns (building a huge EK, getting gold and connections from it, and using this to get what you need) ... but then again, if you use the same time and energy in the campaigns, you would get about the same (or probably better) results.

I know you didn't, but IF you would ask me, I would say that the point that they stopped offering high-priced packages (as soon as they were sure they had enough money to guarantee the launch of the game), and immediately changed to the usual pre-sale packages, says a lot. Just like the many many answers to P2W questions they gave through the years. 

So, they were looking for money "from us" in the past? Yes, of course. A thing that is easily forgotten is that this is a very small company. The point is, they didn't want any investors to be able to ruin their vision and game and to dictate what they would have to do or not. This message was part of the first kickstarter video and they kept true to it. I think we all know what can happen when investors take over and money becomes the "only" thing that matters. Personally I like the idea that dedicated players, who trust in the founders and their vision, spend money to enable the company to be free from the pressure the usual investors would surely produce. In the long term it will help the game to be less focussed on sheer profit rates.

Regardig the VIP "advantages". That's a relative thing again. Using the skilling advantages wont make your character more powerful. It will allow you to skill, let's say a mage and a fighter simultaneously. But you won't get double the skill points for your mage. It can give you a wider variety to choose from. But besides not being stronger than other characters of the same race/cass, this variety is also restricted by the maximum of characters.

As for the undocumented factors. ACE has always been pretty open with its community. If there is news, there is news. If there is no news, the first implementation isnt settled yet. And even if so, up to now the first implementation was never carved in stone but always was open to suggestions and feedback from the crowd. That is something they do really very well.

So frankly, i dont worry about this topic at all. Up to now they always listened. A lot of the development delay is based on exactely this, listening to our feedback and changing things accordingly. And why should they change it? Because some investors might dictate it? They chose a different way. We are the investors.

So, if you have any concerns or worries or suggestions ... that's what this forum is there for. Share it. They will read it and take it into account (though they seldom answer directly these days). Or contact support@crowfall.com - which is not some anonymous data center, but your direct line to the developers themselves.

Have fun, good luck

Kraahk

If I paid 2000$ more than you for my gaming computer, have a faster internet connection as well, and as a result, have a better ping and faster framerate, have I paid to win? I think it would be fair to conclude that yes, I have. This is unavoidable of course. Players and their means will never be equal, nor will their skills and capabilities - so we have to accept that some people will always have an advantage over others.

The issue of whether a company allows players to pay directly for an advantage is a different point, but it is important to keep the above in mind when evaluating what exactly is being done and how bad it is.

In Crowfall's case, it is very important for the game to have a source of steady revenue, so some form of ongoing influx of funds is necessary. This could be in the form of a subsciption or purely cosmetic items, or other cash-shop purchasables, which is what CF has gone with. While most of the items or their value is purely cosmetic or non-affecting on gameplay, some things do have a small impact...and I am completely fine with that.

The thing you are selling to players to keep your game afloat must have some value, or they will not buy it - but not grant so much advantage that those who choose not to purchase whatever that thing is are left feeling the only path they have open to them to victory is one that requires them to spend more money. I personally feel Crowfall has - as far as we know - done a good job in finding the balance between these extremes. We do not yet know all of thing things VIP will grant you, but in terms of the cash-shop items - EK assets for the most part - I feel they are on solid ground.

In my opinion, calling Crowfall Pay to Win - which the OP is not necessarily doing mind you - is pure fantasy.