Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

The Winds of Change - Official Discussion Thread

first there

Also, seasons need to be more negative imo. 

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Please keep in mind that we didn't sign up for a farming simulator.  Food consumption is already ridiculously fast.  Spending 500+ clicks to make a day's worth of brisket is not fun.  Constantly farming animals for meat and trees for apples is not fun.  In a throne war, the farming should be done by NPC peasant thralls, not by the heroes of the story.

Let us fight over forts that have peasants out in the fields gathering harvest - while we own the fort, we have food coming in.  That leads nicely into your idea of burning the other side's fields to prevent that food generation.

Looks good.

Looks really really good.

What would be interesting, is if they basically closed the high concentrated resource world, "Albator",  and made it one of those floating islands via gates for 5.7. Maybe add some toast messages to gate use so players know when teams are moving into/out of high resource areas.

Really liking the sound of 

If we want to only have a handful of keeps, forts or resource types available during spring and then add more as each season happens, we can do it. If we want to have high-ranking, super-dense resource zones close off after summer, we can do it. If we want to open special adventure zones in winter, we can do it.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Just now, Durenthal said:

Please keep in mind that we didn't sign up for a farming simulator.  Food consumption is already ridiculously fast.  Spending 500+ clicks to make a day's worth of brisket is not fun.  Constantly farming animals for meat and trees for apples is not fun.  In a throne war, the farming should be done by NPC peasant thralls, not by the heroes of the story.

Let us fight over forts that have peasants out in the fields gathering harvest - while we own the fort, we have food coming in.  That leads nicely into your idea of burning the other side's fields to prevent that food generation.

He isn't wrong but I want the seasons to impact more than harvesting.  I want winter, the end of the campaign, to be custard brutal and not just harder farming. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

SEASONAL EVENTS (WEATHER!)
Each season also has random environment events which periodically happen: light showers, dense morning fog, thunderstorms or heavy snow. As with the seasonal modifiers, we have the capacity to add effects based on these events, but we haven’t added them … yet. But we certainly could make players more susceptible to lightning damage in a rainstorm, or cold damage when it snows.

Suggestion: Considering you don't even have these in yet this would be a long time in the future, but have you considered a sacrifice to a "weather" god to temporarily change the weather. Perhaps you want it to be clear to harvest. Or want it to be storming when you're sieging. Creating a resource sink and a noticeable way to strategize.

Edited by Ussiah

This opens up some nice game play IMO. 

Really like the bit about opening and closing off areas as seasons change.

Not sure how i feel about more RNG layers with weather when we already have such wild RNG swings in everything. i.e. a low end crit is can hit for less than a high end non-crit.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

One of the more recent developments that we enabled is the ability to turn on (or turn off) these Runegates based on seasonal or weather events – so we could open up new worlds as the Campaign progresses.

This sounds pretty cool. In addition to scouting out the location of Runegates players will need to know the pattern of when they open and close and plan accordingly. In addition to season and weather, I could see some Runegates being tied to the day/night cycle.

Also, I think it would be cool if they don't just turn off, but disappear. So when exploring you won't find the Runegate unless you are there when it is open.

IhhQKY6.gif

Will we able to "over cap" plentiful harvest? Similar to how armor vs. armor penetration works now? 

Plentiful 1 Granted by Default, +3 Plentiful Harvesting in Training, +1 from Harvesting Discipline +1 from potion = Plentiful Harvest 6. If it's Fall and there's a Global -1 plentiful harvest can I still maintain plentiful harvest 5 through "over capping"? 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

some interesting details and potential

i am curious how these will go hand in hand with storage and npc density/danger and to what extent resources change e.g. locations or finite nodes 

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

42 minutes ago, blazzen said:

Will we able to "over cap" plentiful harvest? Similar to how armor vs. armor penetration works now? 

Plentiful 1 Granted by Default, +3 Plentiful Harvesting in Training, +1 from Harvesting Discipline +1 from potion = Plentiful Harvest 6. If it's Fall and there's a Global -1 plentiful harvest can I still maintain plentiful harvest 5 through "over capping"? 

Not with the tables behind it currently. It's not a algorithm, its all hard table values that don't go higher than 5 ATM.  This should link directly to the r9 copper tables blair posted last year.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

7 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Not with the tables behind it currently. It's not a algorithm, its all hard table values that don't go higher than 5 ATM.  This should link directly to the r9 copper tables blair posted last year.

This question is about the ability to be able to hit 5 plent pips in winter and if it's possible.

With the current mechanics i think in winter the highest you can get is 4 plent pips with 100% training, leadership and/or potion (they don't stack i believe), and the appropriate major disc.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

3 minutes ago, Destrin said:

This question is about the ability to be able to hit 5 plent pips in winter and if it's possible.

With the current mechanics i think in winter the highest you can get is 4 plent pips with 100% training, leadership and/or potion (they don't stack i believe), and the appropriate major disc.

Your right, I re-read and definitely misunderstood the first question.

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

first there

Also, seasons need to be more negative imo. 

If later seasons are too penalizing I can see it going from a challenging mechanic to an outright tedious one. You don't want winter and fall to become depressing slogs and suck all the fun out of the game.

4 minutes ago, Helix said:

If later seasons are too penalizing I can see it going from a challenging mechanic to an outright tedious one. You don't want winter and fall to become depressing slogs and suck all the fun out of the game.

Agreed, I would rather lose to players than impossible game mechanics.

This isn't tetris.

4 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Agreed, I would rather lose to players than impossible game mechanics.

This isn't tetris.

Surviving Winter only seems impossible to a grasshopper who has not prepared.

IhhQKY6.gif

1 minute ago, Jah said:

Surviving Winter only seems impossible to a grasshopper who has not prepared.

I actually hope that death comes quick, and campaigns end abruptly for many, and that it's crystal clear when your done rather than having players linger and try to come back when it's hopeless.

But I would rather that happen because of what a team does aggressively. Take out food reserves, burn crops, block access to needed supplies, kill them enough to force decay and lack of replacements to leave them naked, etc.

Some dev strategies could involve cutting people off from beachheads and beachhead crafting tables as well as eliminating imports in fall/winter, and thus all access to crafting if you can't hold a fort. 

I just don't want the games to end because winter has come and the best strategy becomes turtle and just try to not run out of supplies. Waiting to see who dies last is not really what I consider good gameplay.