Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Malignus

Forts - zero value

The purpose of a fort is to hold a strategic location and provide value to those occupying it. Current implementation PENALIZES players for attempting to defend a fort under attack (death = go really far away, not spawn at the fort).  This is antithesis to the purpose of a fort/outpost. It is far more viable and likely for players to ignore "fort under attack" notifications and just "go take it back later", this certainly indicates a poor design choice in the methodology of the current gameplay. "just go craft in an EK" is the common answer towards wanting to take a fort in-game, not due to the chance of enemies defending it, but rather due to the complete uselessness of a fort as currently implemented: it has NEAR ZERO VALUE to gameplay. You are NOT safe while crafting inside of a fort, it provides NO advantage to defenders inside of it towards it's actual purpose of a defensive structure. ALL the crafting stations may as well be moved to beachhead.

Square Peg.

Round Hole.

Bigger Hammer.

So I take it everyone agrees with me, thus nobody has bothered to post about how I'm wrong.

Hope the devs pay attention to this. Looks like a massive fail waiting to happen...

Square Peg.

Round Hole.

Bigger Hammer.

The fort capture mechanics have not been implemented beyond a very basic system. No one (including ACE) thinks the current fort mechanics are good, but their development pipeline does not have them being addressed until later in the development. ACE has decided there are more important systems to get into the alpha, and I would not expect them to change until at the earliest 5.9. 

I have a suggestion about the fort value, It would be cool if who ever owns a fort that faction has some crafting or gathering buffs or maybe less gear durability loss or something that effects the whole server that way everyone has a reason to want to capture a fort.

Also maybe have a point system for forts if lets say Chaos captures a fort every hour they hold it they get one point and at the end of the campaign who ever has the most points is the winner.

GW2 and DAOC had systems in place that would help buff even regular players ( even people who did not usually pvp ) if their realm or faction had more real estate. 

I hope they do not add combat buffs into this equation because what that brings is it makes a already strong over powered group even stronger and less reason for the underdogs to try and topple them. If anything you might want to give a underdog faction a small combat buff so they have a better chance of taking a fort or making a comeback.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:30 AM, Malignus said:

The purpose of a fort is to hold a strategic location and provide value to those occupying it. Current implementation PENALIZES players for attempting to defend a fort under attack (death = go really far away, not spawn at the fort).  This is antithesis to the purpose of a fort/outpost. It is far more viable and likely for players to ignore "fort under attack" notifications and just "go take it back later", this certainly indicates a poor design choice in the methodology of the current gameplay. "just go craft in an EK" is the common answer towards wanting to take a fort in-game, not due to the chance of enemies defending it, but rather due to the complete uselessness of a fort as currently implemented: it has NEAR ZERO VALUE to gameplay. You are NOT safe while crafting inside of a fort, it provides NO advantage to defenders inside of it towards it's actual purpose of a defensive structure. ALL the crafting stations may as well be moved to beachhead.

Everyone does agree :P. The first implementation of Forts/Keeps was really just to test that the capture and siege mechanics were functional. I'm sure we'll start to see more focus on this as the development moves from pre-alpha (building a functional foundation) into alpha (more of a  full gameplay loop). Stay tuned!

tiPrpwh.png

The Forts should beyond having the death respawn nearby also have a +% to the holding guild in farming materials. Five percent at min would be a great encouragement to hold a fort.

The forts could also give +% to attack power, support, etc to the holding guild within its zone of influence. 

Forts could give higher percentage crafting success rates and experimentation etc. Any of the above and other ideas would be great.

Edited by nomadmerc

Forts :

• Places of crafting
  • Somewhat safety when fighting larger Groups.
  • Fun Places to lie in waiting for ppl to cap - serving as an unexpected defender.

In all - Quite like their presence and function.  Would be nice if theyere were not so many crafting tables there so you'd hve to flid forts more often in order to get your gear done.  Transporting the unfinished gear from one fort to another. 

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

They'll have value when they count towards a win condition people care about and also when import/export levels aren't so high to where you can't do all crafting within the safety of EK's. Remember that beach heads only allow intermediate crafting. In addition to crafting tables and win conditions forts will be a valuable respawn location. 

I do question whether forts will remain on a zero timer schedule or if they'll need to have a vulnerability window so they aren't constantly flipped. Otherwise the game turns into whoever can stay up latest at night to flip the forts. 

I hope we eventually get some cooler guards for forts. I'd like to see archers on the 4 corner archer towers on the fort walls and get an alert when they aggro someone. Right now you aren't aware that your forts are being attacked until it's already too late. I'd also like to see melee type guards that actually move around within the forts. We used to have NPC's that had knight/champion/druid/etc. type abilities at hunger shard camps I wish those came back in the form of thrall guards. Hopefully the current guard implementation is just a placeholder system. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website