Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worried About Archetypes Being "heroes"

Maybe I overlooked something but are the archetypes essentially just "heroes" you can play as in the game? I want to be able to choose a class and a race and not be held back by picking from a list of heroes. Customization is huge for me, aesthetically.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This looks like almost exactly how it was done in Shadowbane.  Certain races only had certain base classes they could choose.  If I remember correctly, every race had multiple options, they just didn'

Read the General information FAQ. Disciplines and Promotion classes allow you to customize the character along with different races for different Archetypes 

It's not for the sake of removing choice.   In this world, it makes no sense for ANY race to be a Forgemaster except the Stormborn. Just like it makes no sense for anyone to be a Legionnaire except

I'll try and make it as understandable as possible.

The player characters in Crowfall will not be heroes like in MOBAS.  Your character is not a hero with a fixed kit.  The narratives in the archetypes page use a sample character.  When the archetypes were revealed, I had mistaken the sample narratives for hero bios, but the Devs then pointed out that these are not preset heroes.  For example Gaius is an example Centaur Legionnaire.  Archetypes vary greatly later on when you choose a promotion class.

All classes in Crowfall have only one race available to them.  These are called archetypes, they are race/class combos.

If customization is what you are looking for, rest easy, that won't be a problem in Crowfall.  Character builds will vary greatly thanks to the promotion classes, traits, and disciplines.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

The player characters in Crowfall will not be heroes like in MOBAS.  Your character is not a hero with a fixed kit.  The narratives in the archetypes page use a sample character.  When the archetypes were revealed, I had mistaken the sample narratives for hero bios, but the Devs then pointed out that these are not preset heroes.  For example Gaius is an example Centaur Legionnaire.  Archetypes vary greatly later on when you choose a promotion class.

All classes in Crowfall have only one race available to them.  These are called archetypes, they are race/class combos.

If customization is what you are looking for, rest easy, that won't be a problem in Crowfall.  Character builds will vary greatly thanks to the promotion classes, traits, and disciplines.

doesnt seem like much customization if the race/class is tied together especially if you dislike the race that's tied to a class of an archetype.

oh well we're just a few archetypes in, sure lots of interesting cool stuff to come.

Edited by delghinn

delghinn.png

There is no heroes. The archetypes are yours to do as you wish. You will just need to choose the archetype that best suits the stats/game style you want, customize it then the rest is up to you.

Remembering though that we are still to find out how the hunger affects us, apart from the obvious.

288mqgz.png

doesnt seem like much customization if the race/class is tied together especially if you dislike the race that's tied to a class of an archetype.

oh well we're just a few archetypes in, sure lots of interesting cool stuff to come.

I wish that were the case for me.  I personally can't decide which of the currently revealed archetypes I am going to choose, they all look so fun...

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Really this depends on how many different Archetypes are possible to choose from.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I can see this argument from both sides.

On one side, I would like there to be multiple options for a few of the Archetypes as far as race/species go. I am a huge fan of customization in MMOs. Everyone wants to feel unique and play that hero/villain they imagine in their head. Crowfall really limits this feel at the character creation screen. I have a friend that would like to play a Centaur, but isn't a melee DPS player.

On the other side, other then the random screenshot I like to take of my character I don't really see the fine details of my characters face. A large amount of the time I am looking at my character in full armor and usually worry more about if my gear looks different from others. 

What will really do it for me is the customization options for gear. If character customization is limited, I would like for it to be countered with gear customization.

I really hope they eventually announce that race / class are not tied together in any form of 1 to 1 paring.  Multiple races should be the same class and races should be multiple classes, i.e. what every major mmo including shadowbane implemented.

where was it stated race/class was locked

X6RBqg7.gif

my personal thinking is that the real key here will revolve around "promoting" and Disciplines. ...

we'll know more "soon"

:::eyes the countdown clock:::

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

where was it stated race/class was locked

From the Faq:

7. How does character creation work?

You start the Character Creation with a set number of creation points.  You pick an “Archetype” class –basically a race/class combo – from an initial set of options.

http://crowfall.com/#/faq/54c967bb5592cb654ca24f0e

Keep in mind that there is TWO classes for each character. There is the Class that is locked with a race to make an Archetype, then there is Promotion Classes later on that haven't been fully explained, just that what skills you train will determine what Promotion class you can  choose:

8. Are archetypes customizable?

Yes.  Once in the game, you must raise your skills to qualify for a Promotion class.  This allows you to differentiate yourself (pretty dramatically) from your base Archetype. 

I would think the honest answer is that it's a bit of both.  Somewhat prepackaged hero selection however with a degree of customization.

The archetypes race/class combo has a strong element of pre-built hero in as much that race/class and likely role are all baked into a character selection.  if you dont like centaurs, well sorry you're not playing a melee dps at the moment.  you're not keen on fairies, you're not playing an assassin.  there will be more archetypes and it's quite likely something will click with most people.  most the archetypes are interesting, daring, and not all tied to fantasy tropes.  even if many of the fantasy tropes are wildly popular.. lol

That said within those archetypes you can modify traits (bonuses/weaknesses) to min/max towards a strategy and it's likely face/head/hair will have options.  Also there's the promotion class choice that will further alter the archetype.  My guess is that'll be a packaged concept that players will choose on what they'll want to buff / gain abilities.

There's likely development, performance, and even game play gains to be had with there being perhaps a little less in the way of wild customization on all fronts.  It's just going to be less barbie doll dress up and more focus on throne wars.

no archetype for me yet.. /e-cries.  lol

Edited by delghinn

delghinn.png

From the Faq:

Keep in mind that there is TWO classes for each character. There is the Class that is locked with a race to make an Archetype, then there is Promotion Classes later on that haven't been fully explained, just that what skills you train will determine what Promotion class you can  choose:

Idk how i missed that, thank you.  I hadnt seen it before apparently.

interesting, very interesting.

X6RBqg7.gif

From the Faq:

ill hold out hoping that they were being very generalizing about this/

X6RBqg7.gif

I agree, I hope that was a general statement and not a set in stone race/class combo only. People are not going to like that. Plus it kills the mystery a bit, is that a fairy (insert class here) or another class. If you see a fairy its an assasin period just isnt as exciting...I can see some class restrictions of coarse.

That would be removing choice simply for the sake of removing choice, not cool.

It's not for the sake of removing choice.

In this world, it makes no sense for ANY race to be a Forgemaster except the Stormborn. Just like it makes no sense for anyone to be a Legionnaire except a Centaur. These classes are ingrained within the culture of each race - so that's why each race/class combo form an Archetype.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.