Posted (edited)
Hello,

I wondering if it's time to upgrade.

Currently running:

• i5-4670K
  • 8GB DDR3
  • AMD Radeon 7900
  • Corsair 650W PSU
  • 256GB SSD (plus a 1TB HDD for storage)
  • 24" Dell monitor running at 1920 x 1080

Games I play:

• Crowfall (obviously!)
  • Planetside 2
  • Total Warhammer
  • WoW (not terribly demanding I know)
  • Camelot Unchained (playing in the Beta)

My main thought is that CF and CU will have a lot of stuff going on at once during pitched battles kick off.  

Or do folks think it might be worth sticking it out for a while (particularly given GPU and RAM prices!)?

I'm looking to spend maybe £900 to upgrade my kit. I'm based in the UK

Thank you.

Z
Edited by Zoatibix

Depends on how much you want to spend.
You can get a 1080 for around 500.00 USD, a 1070 will go for less. Both have much better performance and ceiling for overclockability(I have an r9 390X, unfortunately AMD cards don't overclock well). 

Other than that I would definitely upgrade your ram to to 16gb (check to see what your CPU/Motherboard support first (1600, 1866, 2133 etc)

New Nvidia GPUs are rumored to be announced/launch in August. I'm in a similar boat, and will be buying an EVGA gpu in the next month to use their step up program when it launches. 

On 7/5/2018 at 7:53 AM, Armegeddon said:

Depends on how much you want to spend.
You can get a 1080 for around 500.00 USD, a 1070 will go for less. Both have much better performance and ceiling for overclockability(I have an r9 390X, unfortunately AMD cards don't overclock well). 

Other than that I would definitely upgrade your ram to to 16gb (check to see what your CPU/Motherboard support first (1600, 1866, 2133 etc)

It's not RAM that needs upgraded. 

i5-4670K  is a 2013 chip; 5 year old Haswell architecture.  (I know, it's what I have).

Haswell mobos don't support DDR4 RAM,  DDR5 GPU's, or USB 3 Gen 2.    

Average DDR3 runs 1333MHz clock with 1600 being the best for that chip. DDR4, however, runs 1600 base and can go up to 2400MHz.  So as  a measure the overall clock speed would see significant improvement on the upgrade even if a straight across 8gb to 8gb.

So what would be the best upgrade would be a new MOBO, a new CPU, upgraded RAM to DDR4, and finally a new GPU (get a nVidia...AMD are casual or good for administrative but not good for direct gaming when side-by-side compared).   But super costly and that's like future proofing for 3-5 more years so....

The cheapest options, if wanting to not budge too much would be ....ugh, I can't believe I'm suggesting this. Double your RAM from 2x 4's on the DDR3 (I assume that's what you have) to 2x 8's of the same...but make sure they're at 1600MHz, not 1333.  Beyond the RAM be ready to break your piggy bank and dump that 2012 GPU for something like a GTX1070.  The power is 150W for the double-fan version, which your 650W can hold just fine for assuming it is a Silver or Gold PSU (don't do Bronze, they have about a 3yr shelf life on a gaming PC).   Those two upgrades would cost no more than $125-$150 USD for the RAM and $400 USD for the GPU.  In total $650.   That's far cheaper than needing an additional $200 MOBO replace and $500 for an i7 Coffee Lake (it's really $380 but a proper cooling fan and gel additions are required too).   So......ya, hope it helps. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, siphaed said:

It's not RAM that needs upgraded. 

i5-4670K  is a 2013 chip; 5 year old Haswell architecture.  (I know, it's what I have).

Haswell mobos don't support DDR4 RAM,  DDR5 GPU's, or USB 3 Gen 2.    

Average DDR3 runs 1333MHz clock with 1600 being the best for that chip. DDR4, however, runs 1600 base and can go up to 2400MHz.  So as  a measure the overall clock speed would see significant improvement on the upgrade even if a straight across 8gb to 8gb.

So what would be the best upgrade would be a new MOBO, a new CPU, upgraded RAM to DDR4, and finally a new GPU (get a nVidia...AMD are casual or good for administrative but not good for direct gaming when side-by-side compared).   But super costly and that's like future proofing for 3-5 more years so....

The cheapest options, if wanting to not budge too much would be ....ugh, I can't believe I'm suggesting this. Double your RAM from 2x 4's on the DDR3 (I assume that's what you have) to 2x 8's of the same...but make sure they're at 1600MHz, not 1333.  Beyond the RAM be ready to break your piggy bank and dump that 2012 GPU for something like a GTX1070.  The power is 150W for the double-fan version, which your 650W can hold just fine for assuming it is a Silver or Gold PSU (don't do Bronze, they have about a 3yr shelf life on a gaming PC).   Those two upgrades would cost no more than $125-$150 USD for the RAM and $400 USD for the GPU.  In total $650.   That's far cheaper than needing an additional $200 MOBO replace and $500 for an i7 Coffee Lake (it's really $380 but a proper cooling fan and gel additions are required too).   So......ya, hope it helps. 

Highlighted isn't true (gtx 1070 has ddr5 memory)  you can use any gpu you can afford, but the rest is a decent summary of your options. An i7 8700k is $350, and an average to above average air cooler is $25-$60. 

Edited by Zatch