armyguyclaude

End Game Raid Bosses PVE

I understand this game is not focused on PvE.  I have played Ultima Online and Shadowbane, and love the PvP aspects of both of them.  What I am wondering is, will there be endgame PvE bosses like in Ultima.  The Champions/Harrower.  I think this would an amazing add. Where you have the PvE that casual players enjoy, but in a PvP zone.  This will make PvP much more interesting, as people are trying to fight over resources once again, but now there is end game stuff for PvE players.  Not sure if this is going to be a thing yet, but think it would be a great addition.

There will be rune dropers the same as there was in shadowbane and those should be harder to take down . Such as the spider queen currently is harder and does do a few extra moves. I believe as they get the A.I more advanced and cleaned up. the rune droppers will be much more difficult to kill . That should do it for most pvers. 

42 minutes ago, armyguyclaude said:

I understand this game is not focused on PvE.  I have played Ultima Online and Shadowbane, and love the PvP aspects of both of them.  What I am wondering is, will there be endgame PvE bosses like in Ultima.  The Champions/Harrower.  I think this would an amazing add. Where you have the PvE that casual players enjoy, but in a PvP zone.  This will make PvP much more interesting, as people are trying to fight over resources once again, but now there is end game stuff for PvE players.  Not sure if this is going to be a thing yet, but think it would be a great addition.

If you take a look at the Bestiary there are some big monsters planned.  I'm hoping some of them are pretty hard.

As Dolmar said, there is currently a Spider Queen mob.  She has a mechanic where she cocoons and does a TON of reflect dmg.  if you hit her 2 to 3 times when she is in this state you die.  I'd like to see more mechanics where if you screw up you die on these big bad monsters we will get in the future :P

11 minutes ago, Destrin said:

If you take a look at the Bestiary there are some big monsters planned.  I'm hoping some of them are pretty hard.

As Dolmar said, there is currently a Spider Queen mob.  She has a mechanic where she cocoons and does a TON of reflect dmg.  if you hit her 2 to 3 times when she is in this state you die.  I'd like to see more mechanics where if you screw up you die on these big bad monsters we will get in the future :P

SB eventually had a few special r8 mobs that would take a good hour or two to kill of mindless attacking.  Some where easier than others while some were just afk farmed on macros in the sky above them.  They would drop a ton of runes, bane stones, gold and gear. 

FC events at the start of the game where also a lot of fun but highly organized guilds benefited from them in a way that was often unfair for the plebs.  One thing about FC events that really screwed people over was that FC gear would last forever as long as your repaired it but the cycle of gear loss here would prevent it and give a nice incentive for a 60x40 foot centaur body with Dogget's head and hamster legs chasing people as he giggles gleefully on a live stream. 

2 hours ago, Destrin said:

This is a wonderful mechanic, because you get to mock horribly your friends who are dumb enough to swing at her when she is like this.

I know, I've been on the receiving end of such mockery.

Also as a troll for a kick.  Tell your Noobs that the time to really lay into her is when she cocoons.

10 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Also as a troll for a kick.  Tell your Noobs that the time to really lay into her is when she cocoons.

WAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of you on this :P

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, mandalore said:

SB eventually had a few special r8 mobs that would take a good hour or two to kill of mindless attacking.  Some where easier than others while some were just afk farmed on macros in the sky above them.  They would drop a ton of runes, bane stones, gold and gear. 

FC events at the start of the game where also a lot of fun but highly organized guilds benefited from them in a way that was often unfair for the plebs.  One thing about FC events that really screwed people over was that FC gear would last forever as long as your repaired it but the cycle of gear loss here would prevent it and give a nice incentive for a 60x40 foot centaur body with Dogget's head and hamster legs chasing people as he giggles gleefully on a live stream. 

FC events are UNIQUELY suited to the campaign structure IMO.

All worlds end eventually. So, like, who's to say they can't end with FC monsters or armies that drop some pretty cosmetic recipies or other "out of the econ loop" rewards for battling the hunger in its last day, after the campaign is already decided?  Or hell, a big carebear "The gods beseech you to slay this enemy together!" and just toss out loot to everyone involved equally based on the entire server's progress (and the assured ensuing mayhem of rival just taking the opportunity to wreck each other's gear)

Biggest problem wit FC events in shadowbane was really the potential for unfair swings in the game state, a problem you don't have if the "game state" is over in a "dead and done" campaign. FC events in what's basically the "postgame" could be epic and fun without imbalancing the game. I mean your castle has TECHNICALLY served its purpose so who cares if Todd the Dragon decides to demolish it right?

I remember in the GW1 and GW2 beta tests each one ended with this outlandishly dumb and unfair GM event which the players were always destined to lose, and it was actually really fun to dodge exploding wen-chans or try to be the last uncorrupted tyrian or whatever even though ultimately that accomplishment didn't DO anything for your account at all.

Edited by PopeUrban

PvE mobs for loot is imo a horrible idea...

Disciplines... ok.. but not gear/ressources what so ever unless the corpse becomes a harvestable node (skinning/stone/ore what ever depending on the type of mob)

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Soulreaver said:

Disciplines... ok.. but not gear/ressources what so ever unless the corpse becomes a harvestable node (skinning/stone/ore what ever depending on the type of mob)

I'm thinking more in the vein of crafting styles or cosmetic EK trophies, as crafters are meant to have some degree of control over the visual appearance of their items, and EK cosmetics are already a thing.

Give people an optional inecentive to stick around for a day or two post-campaign and soak up some lore and get some cosmetics for it? Could be cool if the team has the time to drive FC mobs and it would give Todd a platform to deploy the lore he loves so much in something other than text form without requiring anyone to interact with it or requiring a bunch of development time building AI or raid encounters or whatever.

Could also be a good consolation prize for campaign losers. You get no extra mats or "useful" loot, but hey, maybe a shiny EK bauble for help killing the dragon that tried to eat the world after the campaign ended if you decide to stick around.

I mean before his death cry summoned an ary of dragons and ate the world anyway because all worlds must die.

Edited by PopeUrban

6 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

FC events are UNIQUELY suited to the campaign structure IMO.

All worlds end eventually. So, like, who's to say they can't end with FC monsters or armies that drop some pretty cosmetic recipies or other "out of the econ loop" rewards for battling the hunger in its last day, after the campaign is already decided?  Or hell, a big carebear "The gods beseech you to slay this enemy together!" and just toss out loot to everyone involved equally based on the entire server's progress (and the assured ensuing mayhem of rival just taking the opportunity to wreck each other's gear)

Biggest problem wit FC events in shadowbane was really the potential for unfair swings in the game state, a problem you don't have if the "game state" is over in a "dead and done" campaign. FC events in what's basically the "postgame" could be epic and fun without imbalancing the game. I mean your castle has TECHNICALLY served its purpose so who cares if Todd the Dragon decides to demolish it right?

I remember in the GW1 and GW2 beta tests each one ended with this outlandishly dumb and unfair GM event which the players were always destined to lose, and it was actually really fun to dodge exploding wen-chans or try to be the last uncorrupted tyrian or whatever even though ultimately that accomplishment didn't DO anything for your account at all.

I think it would be fun as heck if on last day ACE staff took direct control of some mobs and just made mayhem occur on the server.  

Imagine Todd running around as the spider queen or a giant hunger shard golem, or ACE staff running as a hunger infected wolf pack, or guarding a relic of some sort.

5 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Imagine Todd running around as the spider queen or a giant hunger shard golem

I foresee having nightmares of a giant spider queen Todd chasing me in my dreams. Thank you Krakken.

16 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

This is a wonderful mechanic, because you get to mock horribly your friends who are dumb enough to swing at her when she is like this.

I know, I've been on the receiving end of such mockery.

What kind of monsters would mock you if you die to a mob? Dunno about your guildmates/friends they sound like terrible people!

Lol you said friends 

1 minute ago, dolmar said:

What kind of monsters would mock you if you die to a mob? Dunno about your guildmates/friends they sound like terrible people!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Soulreaver said:

I don't like the idea of even Discipline runes dropping from mobs, at least not after the first couple campaigns. Grinding mobs for stuff (other than crafting materials) is just boring and idiotic game design. Boars dropping gold is stupid IMO, less dumb coming from an undead, perfectly fine from some bandit or living humanoid mob.

I think drops should make sense for what it would be dropping. But whatever, if we're going to have to grind mobs for stuff we should be able to get in a way that makes way more sense, then so be it. Mob spawn camping it is. zzz

7 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

FC mobs

I know I haven't been that active on the forums for a long time but could you explain to me briefly what a FC mob is?

Edited by entityofsin

49 minutes ago, dolmar said:

Undead tend not to care so much about peoples feelings. 

My little snowflake heart was melting, until I realized how much fun it would be to do to other people and make them cry sweet sweet salty tears.  :rolleyes: 

11 hours ago, entityofsin said:

I know I haven't been that active on the forums for a long time but could you explain to me briefly what a FC mob is?

Basically imagine that the world has important NPCs that don't run on server scripts. In stead, whenever these NPCs are present, they are being driven and roleplayed by a developer. Shadowbane did this a little bit, as did SWG during certain events. Matrix Online used this approach heavily in its narrative structure as well. EVE also does this from time to time for its lore events.

The basic pros/cons here:

FC (or "Live actor") driven mobs don't need a bunch of complex scripting (pro) and can react naturally to the actions of players in their vicinity (pro) to help immersion and deliver immersion in gameplay in a very natural way. It also allows the developers inhabiting them to adjust on the fly, simply choosing to ease up on an encounter or react to particularly clever player manuevering to reward it.

The con is that because players are aware this is a live human with potentially limitless godlike power due to having basically dev hacks that using this approach to influence competitions between players is frowned upon as humans are known to be sentimental and imperfect users of pure logic. Players don't like to feel like they lost a competition because the devs literally pulled a Deus Ex Machina that advantaged one team over the other. This makes them generally only acceptable to players in a purely antagonistic, narrative, or purely allied fashion, where players can't make the argument that favoritism played a role in the person outcome of rewards for one group of players compared to another.

As cool as it might be for YOUR experience having an avatar of the gods manifest itself and smite your enemies, it becomes problematic when your enemies literally lose an encounter with you because a developer just decided ti should be so. This is why it works better when the developer is either on the side of all players, opposed to all players, or has no mechanical power and simply works as a mouthpiece for social interaction as an ingame persona.

My thinking is that the meta-narrative of the gods against the hunger creates a good playground for this since the hunger is the enemy of every player, and the gods (at least some of them) are the allies of every player in degrees of severity. Even in a hard fought 12 faction campaign, for instance, the avatars of the gods would naturally set aside hostilities to deal with a particularly nasty element of the hunger, and encourage their factions to do the same. Provided that campaigns are finished and the only content left on the server is "end of the world event, players versus hunger" then there isn't a situation where this kinda stuff could disrupt the competitive nature of the game, presuming that there is no competitive element to whatever challenges exist for the lore event. Tacking it on to campaigns is also a good idea because it makes it optional, both for players to be able to ignore it, and developers to be able to skip it if they're too busy.

50 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Basically imagine that the world has important NPCs that don't run on server scripts. In stead, whenever these NPCs are present, they are being driven and roleplayed by a developer.

Honestly that doesn't sound very fun to have to experience either being on the side of a FC, against it, or just neutral. It just sounds like a headache nobody should have to deal with and takes development time away from more important things. I would rather see the dev work on something more important than control some over powered mob to crush one faction or group of players over everyone else.

Thanks for explaining it to me. Was far above what I was expecting for an explanation.

11 minutes ago, entityofsin said:

I would rather see the dev work on something more important than control some over powered mob to crush one faction or group of players over everyone else.

I feel like you missed half of the post with this response. In general the practice is pretty well recieved by players as long as it doesn't actually interfere with player versus player competition, mostly because it takes virtually zero development time to do an event occasionally and those events tend to be memorable in a sort of "moses came down from the mountain" way.

And also usually the developers driving them are community team or QA or volunteers working on their off time other such people who literally can't work on something else. Its as close to "playing crowfall on my time off" as it is "actually working on crowfall" just with a few dev hax usually.

Basically its a good way to have "live lore" in your game without actually spending a bunch of time making scripted dungeons or balance testing AI or cutscenes or whatever. Very cost effective and unintrusive.

Just now, PopeUrban said:

I feel like you missed half of the post with this response.

No, I read it. I've never experienced it first hand so my first reaction is it sounds sort of a waste of time.

3 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Basically its a good way to have "live lore" in your game without actually spending a bunch of time making scripted dungeons or balance testing AI or cutscenes or whatever. Very cost effective and unintrusive.

Well since I've not ever experienced this to my knowledge, I would definitely like to! Particularly if it isn't screwing up those moments where I am stabbing another player in the face with a dagger or sword.