ACE_Jackal

ACE Q&A for July - Official Discussion Thread

Awesome changes ;)
Thank the Devs and specially the Dev Partners ;)

ps.
I dont know how the white vendor is feeling / why not grey / color less ?

Posted (edited)

@jtoddcoleman In your video today, you guys mentioned having 25/26 interconnected zones. Are you concerned, without additional mapping technology, that navigating the runegates and actually traveling between them will be difficult for new players? You promised us a more in-depth look at runegates and the gameplay rules around them. I'd really like to understand how these systems are going to work to be able to provide useful feedback.

EVE Online uses jump-gates, similar in concept and function to Crowfall's runegates. EVE also offers an advanced waypointing and mapping system that makes traversing nodes incredibly easy. I don't see any similar tech in Crowfall. I'm mostly concerned that you'll be fragmenting a small testing playerbase among 25-26 zones/maps and that PvP will be nearly impossible to find. The fact that navigating those gates (from 3 different perspectives), means finding your way to a known battle will be even more difficult.

Can you help us understand if you have plans to address these concerns?

Edited by Scree

Some awesome stuff in there!

One area of concern though, Outposts and more PvP objectives are nice in theory, but if they do not add anything of value - no-one is going to bother with them. Forts and the Keep are already no longer being fought over very much since crafting can be done in the EKs, and lacking a real victory mechanic or a campaign win condition, the points the Outposts give will not be pursued or cared about either. I love the idea, especially of they had windows of opportunity like mines, but unfortunately it seems like the issues with the existing strongholds are just being multiplied.

To make THAT juice worth the squeeze, for the devs or we players, you really need to make them worth something. Give Forts and Keeps a crafting bonus for example, give Outposts an effect like the campfire but persistent, so people could cook in the field and heal without bandages or crafting campfires. All of the mechanics are in there to give these things value, just need to attach them to the assets you want people to fight over, in my opinion.

Minor quibble though, overall some amazing new content and I cannot wait for 5.7 (and 5.8!). :)

I'd like to get a better understanding of how these vendors will operate. In the video, Blair mentioned that the vendors are in keeps. Does that mean that only the people who control the keep(s) will have access to these vendors? If so, I don't see how that fixes the slippery slope issue. If you have 2 groups fighting over a keep, the losing side isn't going to have access to those resources.

I'd also like to know what the limitations are for these vendors. Do they have a limited amount of resources available per day/week? Is there a limit per player? Is there a cost for these resources? 

When we harvest, we predominantly get white resources from any node that is rank 3 or higher. Even if we are harvesting rank 10, we will get more white than any other quality. What are we going to do with all of those resources? It seems like there will be way more white resources than we will need and still limited quantities of higher quality stuff. 

20 minutes ago, Anthrage said:

To make THAT juice worth the squeeze, for the devs or we players, you really need to make them worth something. Give Forts and Keeps a crafting bonus for example, give Outposts an effect like the campfire but persistent, so people could cook in the field and heal without bandages or crafting campfires. All of the mechanics are in there to give these things value, just need to attach them to the assets you want people to fight over, in my opinion.

Having a fully functioning fire going at all outposts would be a solid use of an existing mechanic that would add some impact, but only allow use of fire if the outpost is taken? 

3 minutes ago, Anhrez said:

Having a fully functioning fire going at all outposts would be a solid use of an existing mechanic that would add some impact, but only allow use of fire if the outpost is taken? 

Just like the Fort campfires, yeah.

In the video you mention that holding outposts will contribute points towards victory.    Are you able to discuss win conditions with us yet?  Will there be a rudimentary functional win condition in the 5.7 build (sounds like holding keeps, forts, outposts would generate points over time to the side holding them)?  That'd be cool if forts were harder to capture, and if the keep capture required a siege on a timer.  Even without that, as a proof of concept for win conditions, I'd welcome a points system at this stage.  Victory would still be mostly meaningless, but less meaningless than the current useless slider.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the update ACE! Really looking forward to testing 5.7. I've been around since February and it's amazing how far the game has come along. It is feeling more and more like a finished product even though there is still so much more on the horizon.

You mentioned the armor sets will be in for all races. Can't wait to see what my Femtaur is going to look like wearing her garb.

iwaX2CR.png?3

Edited by Gaiawyn

Great stuff! Looking forward to it!

As mentioned above, would love to hear of some win conditions soon.

Zones and more zones; sounds exciting and like exploration could be a real thing.

@thomasblair@jtoddcolemanI love that you are taking steps to address the 'slippery slope' issue, with durability, items and breakage. This issue - where the defeated/dead comes back facing an even greater disadvantage that is very hard to recover from - exists in other areas as well however. For example, a Druid is the only class that cannot use any powers at all when it respawns, as it spawns with no Essence. A druid must switch to a combat tray - which makes noise, easily heard by people camping your cairn - and if they are a staff druid, use noisy powers to generate class resources so they can cast powers, and if a sickle druid, they have to sit there and wait for it to generate passively. (they could use sacrifice, but as you also spawn at half your HP, that would get you killed pretty quickly as well.)

Hopefully you will do a pass of the entire game and address all of the 'slippery slope' cases the way you have as you described in the video for players and death, it would impact the quality of life (and frequency of chain deaths/gear breakage) for some classes dramatically. TY! :)

28 minutes ago, Anthrage said:

@thomasblair@jtoddcolemanI love that you are taking steps to address the 'slippery slope' issue, with durability, items and breakage. This issue - where the defeated/dead comes back facing an even greater disadvantage that is very hard to recover from - exists in other areas as well however. For example, a Druid is the only class that cannot use any powers at all when it respawns, as it spawns with no Essence. A druid must switch to a combat tray - which makes noise, easily heard by people camping your cairn - and if they are a staff druid, use noisy powers to generate class resources so they can cast powers, and if a sickle druid, they have to sit there and wait for it to generate passively. (they could use sacrifice, but as you also spawn at half your HP, that would get you killed pretty quickly as well.)

Hopefully you will do a pass of the entire game and address all of the 'slippery slope' cases the way you have as you described in the video for players and death, it would impact the quality of life (and frequency of chain deaths/gear breakage) for some classes dramatically. TY! :)

You forgot the most egregious thing; the charging of ultimates. This is one of the worst mechanics in the current combat system. Please change them to a cool down, or at the very least make soul power decay rapidly out of combat.

Just now, Zatch said:

You forgot the most egregious thing; the charging of ultimates. This is one of the worst mechanics in the current combat system. Please change them to a cool down, or at the very least make soul power decay rapidly out of combat.

The Ultimate/Soul Power mechanic was pretty much done in it's current form to address an issue with a specific class, and instead it was applied globally, but because of the differences between classes and how it's manifest on each, it is a tremendous mess to be sure. I think the whole thing needs to be revisited - and just a CD would be the simplest, like Recall. MAYBE have it possible to shorten the CD with training like other powers.

Posted (edited)

I just don't see more positives than drawbacks to the "gameplay" with commons on vendors in CW, flat out kills the common market for harvesters and makes sub R5 spawns nothing but visual clutter in the game. Also going to be salty when killing mobs only to find out when go to skin they sub R5.
Also turns "poor" resources into slag, knotwood, cobblestone level of usefulness.

And can we please get confirmation on the SB wipe for 5.7, as not knowing has effectively killed the population count on the servers as most cant be bothered doing anything as expect a wipe to happen.

So when a campaign starts players will now do 1 of 2 things;

1: farm mobs for gold to buy the common mats they want as this is easier and less time than running around looking for the node types you need for what you want.

2: group up with your basic tools and run around looking for R5+ nodes to harvest.

Edited by Grivyn

3 minutes ago, Grivyn said:

And can we please get confirmation on the SB wipe for 5.7, as not knowing has effectively killed the population count on the servers as most cant be bothered doing anything as expect a wipe to happen.

If you think not knowing whether there will be a SB wipe kills the population, wait till you see what knowing there will be a SB wipe will do to the population.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Grivyn said:

I just don't see more positives than drawbacks to the "gameplay" with commons on vendors in CW, flat out kills the common market for harvesters and makes sub R5 spawns nothing but visual clutter in the game. Also going to be salty when killing mobs only to find out when go to skin they sub R5.
Also turns "poor" resources into slag, knotwood, cobblestone level of usefulness.

This... Here's a point or two.

On Sunday 7/8, I harvested the R5 Iron nodes on Brazil... for hours. Out of that I got (Approximation) 1700+ white ore, 350+ green ore, 250+ Blue ore and around 35-40 purple ore. This means that the vast majority of my yield (and time spent) has been devalued greatly with the introduction of vendors.

These changes will also basically make anything under R5 Worthless. On R3 Nodes on East aboul 20-25% of my yield would be grey... R1 and R2 Nodes, you may as well eliminate them from the game now unless the loot tables are going to be significantly reworked.. 

But otherwise.. great stuff!

Edited by Armegeddon

21 minutes ago, Armegeddon said:

This... Here's a point or two.

On Sunday 7/8, I harvested the R5 Iron nodes on Brazil... for hours. Out of that I got (Approximation) 1700+ white ore, 350+ green ore, 250+ Blue ore and around 35-40 purple ore. This means that the vast majority of my yield (and time spent) has been devalued greatly with the introduction of vendors.

These changes will also basically make anything under R5 Worthless. On R3 Nodes on East aboul 20-25% of my yield would be grey... R1 and R2 Nodes, you may as well eliminate them from the game now unless the loot tables are going to be significantly reworked.. 

But otherwise.. great stuff!

Yea i feel with this update they need to adjust that . unless the white gear thats on the vendor is all fails with no experimentation