Sign in to follow this  
jtoddcoleman

Big news for ArtCraft !

https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/10/crowfall-studio-artcraft-will-license-its-mmo-making-tool-artisan-engine/

Hey folks,

This morning we announced a new division of ACE -- ArtCraft Technologies.  This is a long-term strategic move for our company; the intent is to build a technology base that we can not only leverage internally on future titles, but that we can also license to other studios.  In the short term, this also provides two immediate, impactful benefits:

1. We signed our first major customer, and the funds from this will be used to hire a "core technology team" of 6 to 8 senior engineers.  These individuals will be tasked, first and foremost, with bolstering and optimizing the Crowfall technology base in preparation for alpha, beta and launch.

2. To run this division, we recruited Josef Hall, a name that some of you might remember from my previous Murder of Crows videos.  Josef was the co-creator of both Shadowbane and Wizard101.  We've been business partners for 15+ years (every company until ACE, in fact) and not having him here at ACE for the last few years has felt, for me, like I was fighting with one arm tied behind my back.

His experience, design acumen and technical chops are a huge win for our team.  I believe that Josef and his engineer team are going to be a force multiplier for Crowfall, and for our future game titles.  Simply put, I can't imagine a better addition to our executive team.

Todd

4 minutes ago, jtoddcoleman said:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/10/crowfall-studio-artcraft-will-license-its-mmo-making-tool-artisan-engine/

Hey folks,

This morning we announced a new division of ACE -- ArtCraft Technologies.  This is a long-term strategic move for our company; the intent is to build a technology base that we can not only leverage internally on future titles, but that we can also license to other studios.  In the short term, this also provides two immediate, impactful benefits:

1. We signed our first major customer, and the funds from this will be used to hire a "core technology team" of 6 to 8 senior engineers.  These individuals will be tasked, first and foremost, with bolstering and optimizing the Crowfall technology base in preparation for alpha, beta and launch.

2. To run this division, we recruited Josef Hall, a name that some of you might remember from my previous Murder of Crows videos.  Josef was the co-creator of both Shadowbane and Wizard101.  We've been business partners for 15+ years (every company until ACE, in fact) and not having him here at ACE for the last few years has felt, for me, like I was fighting with one arm tied behind my back.

His experience, design acumen and technical chops are a huge win for our team.  I believe that Josef and his engineer team are going to be a force multiplier for Crowfall, and for our future game titles.  Simply put, I can't imagine a better addition to our executive team.

Todd

Was this the guy you wrote SB's original thoughts down on a mr gatti's napkin with?

Just now, mandalore said:

Was this the guy you wrote SB's original thoughts down on a mr gatti's napkin with?

Yep!  That's him.

Todd

@jtoddcoleman I love that you guys were able to find a customer who would buy a license for a title this early in production ("early" I know.. lol... but you haven't actually launched a product with it yet). This is pretty awesome news. Lots of people have questioned your teams ability to optimize this game to handle the number of players you wanted. 6-8 engineers sounds like the ammo people like me need to shut those naysayers down with.

Really excited to see what this leads to. 2000 concurrent players seems back on the table? eh?

39 minutes ago, Scree said:

@jtoddcoleman I love that you guys were able to find a customer who would buy a license for a title this early in production ("early" I know.. lol... but you haven't actually launched a product with it yet). This is pretty awesome news. Lots of people have questioned your teams ability to optimize this game to handle the number of players you wanted. 6-8 engineers sounds like the ammo people like me need to shut those naysayers down with.

Really excited to see what this leads to. 2000 concurrent players seems back on the table? eh?

I think the zones are a way to reach that number. Until recently, zones were never part of the design. If a world is going to have 25 zones, that's only 80 per zone, on average. Those numbers are achievable now. They will still need to ramp up the total to account for large battles. I'd say they have to get to 300 at a minimum and ideally, 500 or more, per zone.

3 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

As excited as I am for all the 5.7 news 6 to 8 more engineers is even more exciting as I hope it will lead to larger battles and better performance. 

Great to see the ACE team growing - and see the SB "partners in crime" :D back together to bring more innovation to the MMO genre!

Things seam to be moving along at a good pace now I hope the Game continues to grow. Good Job getting more people on board to help out.

Posted (edited)

Is the artisan engine purely back end? If so I would assume it has to be front end agnostic?  How do you see performance increasing in the next few months both front and back end? What obstacles have you, are you and do you think you'll encounter when it comes to getting performance to the point where 50v50+ is feasible?

Edited by Helix

Posted (edited)

With zones, there can be dungeons without needing to carve out the terrain. I hope the tech is utilized for this.

Edited by frozenshadow

7 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

Hey folks,

Todd

Does this mean i have to donate another grand to become ArtCraft Technologies Partner? Where do i sign up?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

Todd

@jtoddcoleman Congrats - I miss my old time partner myself ..... Nothing like having a trusted resource at your side!

Edited by Mayhem_

9 hours ago, Scree said:

Lots of people have questioned your teams ability to optimize this game to handle the number of players you wanted. 6-8 engineers sounds like the ammo people like me need to shut those naysayers down with.

Who are the devs? What's their experience in relation to Unity and or open world MMOs?

It's great to hire more devs, especially seasoned, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.

They likely have some hard work waiting for them.

Until there is some decent improvement, good luck on shutting people down...

I think their recent pop-up test showed significant improvements tbh. Multiple zones will also help mitigate performance issues (more people can be spread over more servers)

Sounds like a solid addition to the team indeed!  Very exciting news!