Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Say No to Shadowbane Style Mines


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

1.) Good luck is all I can say.

Thank you Krakken! I wish you the same!

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

2.) You claimed that I didn't seem to understand what motivates MMO players, and I pointed you to a test that is based on a well studied, decades old, scientific theory about why people play MMO's.

I didn't said this. I said that you can't suppose all players are looking to the same thing.

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

3.) So pick a word.  I picked fun or pleasure.  What is the word you would want used, and I'll start responding within that context.

 

Krakken, fun is so vague that leaves thousands of choices. It should be you (since it was you to use it) to pick a more precise one and then we go further from there, not me.

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

4.) Something tells me your planning on being in charge of hundreds, if not a thousand person guild.  That's a lofty ambition, and I wish you the best in that endeavor, but being part of a mega guild like that is not what I would call a good game design requirement. I suspect that the majority of players only have 5-8 close friends that want to hang out online together, have a few fun fights. 

Yes I am!!! Isn't organizing a mega-corporation a thing in throne of war-games? EVE online has mega corporations. Sorry I was supposed this was a throne of war simulator.

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

would almost go so far as to say what your describing sounds alot like a ZERG, something most people around here ... how shall I say this.... think is a game style with very little respect, and would like to see mechanics put into place to manage and restrict.

1 hour ago, Zatch said:

What we are asking for is systems in place to discourage zerging. 

Krakken and Zatch, how many people is a zerg?  100? 200? 300? So what about asking @thomasblair and @jtoddcoleman to reduce the number of maximum player allowed in a guild if you all are so scared by zergs?

Do you know that at the time writing the cap for guilds is 300? So do you think JTC and Blair set it up to 300 out of the blue?? I have no clue on what was in their mind when they set it up to 300 but to me if you set it up to 300 is because you "want" huge alliances, huge guilds, huge fights and a rich and developed political scenario... cause guess what??? This is a throne of war simulator!!!! And gathering a huge amount of people is one of the possible strategies (of course you have to pull it off, but that is another matter).

To me you are scared by zergs because zergs will ruin your fun 15 vs 15 small group of small friends that is against welcoming newcomers and will do everything they can to preserve their small heaven of your small group of close friends. And guess what?? This is perfectly fine for me. I am not against you having your heaven of small guilds fighting other small guilds. And I am not against your small guilds having campaigns tailored for small guilds neither. And I, at the moment leading (on paper, and just by mere number) the largest zerg of kittens in the game, have NO INTEREST AT ALL in your small guilds fights or quarrels.

I want an environment in which OTHER LARGE ZERG GUILDS will fight against each other. Just because at the moment there is only Kittens doesn't mean there won't be more later on.

So my educated guess will be that you and you group of small guilds play the drags in your small guild only campaign (devs can limit access to a certain dreg campaign by size of the guild, easy to implement and this is what is likely to happen) but you have to serenely admit that there will be guilds and players looking for a way larger enviroment rather than a small group of small guilds and want to play a larger "political" game with guild/corporations involving more and more players.

To get back on topic of your "anti-zerg" mania. I am all favorable to anti-zerg!!! There is no fun in destroying small guilds by using a larger group. But stop thinking and acting like that there won't be campaigns suited to bigger and larger guilds!! We will just be in a different campaign and in a different dregs, fighting against similarly larger guilds. Hopefully with 24/7 fights. And these kinds of guilds will come. Kittens may be the first and at the moment the only one, but when more players will join more and more players will probably love the "thrill" to be in a huge political scenario and fights against a numerous army rather than a small group of really specialized players.

To each his own.

And by the way, when Kittens will reach 300 I will found Kittens 2. And then 3. And so on.

 

1 hour ago, Zatch said:

I speak only for myself when I say this, but I'ld being willing to wager Save the Kittens is going to have significant issues in the throne war come softlaunch. 

Could you please elaborate more? Thank you.

Edited by Nyamo

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Arcadi said:

The reason I referred to historical modelling and simulation is because of the game's tagline as “a throne war simulator”.

Regarding the rest of your post, I very much appreciate what you write.  I am not certain why your allies don't defend you against these honorless guilds?  Or why people don't then punish these honorless guilds once they are actually all online?  Isn't this the idea of a FFA?  That people make their own rules?  Is truly the only solution to this problem -- which I recognize, especially in the case of coordinated vacation from work to siege someone -- to have a game design decision to not let people play the full game most hours of the day?

If people cannot police their own server and make griefers lives miserable enough that they give up griefing and go to a game where it is easier to do so (which I understand to be a tenet of FFA), then surely there are other design decisions that could address this without forcing people who don't work standard hours to feel even further distanced from society?

If we are ignoring all historical accuracy, why not get really creative.  When someone initiates a siege it saves the current state of the buildings -- before any destruction.  Then within 12 hours, there is the opportunity for the owning guild to "rechallenge".  A successful rechallenge results not only in capturing it back, but magically rewinding time to the state it was in before the attack.

--

Probably the most confusing part of your post to me was how it talked about all the time and effort of building the cities.  It's my understanding this won't even be in launch.  The only time and effort in building is in the instanced-housing-esque EK.  The campaigns are temporary and the destruction of everything is just a matter of time.  There are talks of allowing players to construct buildings WITHIN campaigns at some point in time long down the road, but that doesn't seem to be a design priority at all.  The territory being exchanged are all part of the map generation and all eventually going to be destroyed forever when the campaign ends.   So I'm not sure if it's really a 1-to-1 equivalence to the player cities you describe.  In the current campaign a single player can fully repair one of the forts or keeps in an hour or so, even at times 10 speed that investment is not terribly significant in MMO terms.

I suppose we have different opinions what  A Throne War means.  I take it in a very arcade sense, and in no way historically.  Not a very important point either way.  

In regards to "why didn't you", that's a very complicated question, but interesting I suppose.  I don't think I can truely give you a suitable answer but I'll try to express my observation.  The short answer is, we did, all of those things.  Frankly, being young at the time and not really caring about high school I look back very fondly at that era.  It was everything a "throne war" should be, enemies hated eachother, people were sneaking spies into eachothers guilds, politics were a major factor as people would gesture and plot, and alliances rose and fell on things like betrayal. 

Honor in a game like this is very fickle, its existance balances on the misguided thought that all care about something greater then their own enjoyment in the game.  Why didn't someone do something about the guilds that were doing late night sieges?  Because the most powerful guilds were out to win, and players like us will do anything to win.  There were no guilds that could counter that tactic because everyone with any kind of power was doing it.

It's been my experience that the most hardcore players are not the type of players that care about fake rules in a game.  They care only about staying at the top.  (This is less true as populations decline and they start to realize that their actions have real impact on the future of the game.)

As far as getting the most out of a 24 hour day goes, I think we're talking about different things here.  Though city sieges will be a major part of the game (which by the way I was under the opposite impression, fairly sure that guild cities will be in at launch though I have no evidence to back that up), its not the whole game.  In the other games sieging was for the most part fairly rare, perhaps one or two nights a month.  The majority of the time you would just engage in PVP throughout the world at any time of the day as you worked towards advancing.  Where I do have a real concern, in line with your thought, is that in Shadowbane as populations dwindled it became harder and hard to find a fight.  When they introduced mines (with windows) everyone knew that they could find a fight at 6pm and that became the only time other then a siege that the game was worth playing.

This was a product of a population that had decreased below a saturation level in my book though, and if Crowfall can maintain an ample playerbase it shouldn't be an issue.

Though I do like that you're being more creative with your ideas, not a fan of the rechallenge concept.  Windows already solve the problem and they don't bother me.  If everyone had no real life obligations 24 hour sieging would be great.  Unfortunately I now work for a living and I already have to face the fact that early sieges on the east coast will be while I'm at work on the west coast.

 

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nyamo said:

Thank you Krakken! I wish you the same!

I didn't said this. I said that you can't suppose all players are looking to the same thing.

Krakken, fun is so vague that leaves thousands of choices. It should be you (since it was you to use it) to pick a more precise one and then we go further from there, not me.

Yes I am!!! Isn't organizing a mega-corporation a thing in throne of war-games? EVE online has mega corporations. Sorry I was supposed this was a throne of war simulator.

Krakken and Zatch, how many people is a zerg?  100? 200? 300? So what about asking @thomasblair and @jtoddcoleman to reduce the number of maximum player allowed in a guild if you all are so scared by zergs?

Do you know that at the time writing the cap for guilds is 300? So do you think JTC and Blair set it up to 300 out of the blue?? I have no clue on what was in their mind when they set it up to 300 but to me if you set it up to 300 is because you "want" huge alliances, huge guilds, huge fights and a rich and developed political scenario... cause guess what??? This is a throne of war simulator!!!! And gathering a huge amount of people is one of the possible strategies (of course you have to pull it off, but that is another matter).

To me you are scared by zergs because zergs will ruin your fun 15 vs 15 small group of small friends that is against welcoming newcomers and will do everything they can to preserve their small heaven of your small group of close friends. And guess what?? This is perfectly fine for me. I am not against you having your heaven of small guilds fighting other small guilds. And I am not against your small guilds having campaigns tailored for small guilds neither. And I, at the moment leading (on paper, and just by mere number) the largest zerg of kittens in the game, have NO INTEREST AT ALL in your small guilds fights or quarrels.

I want an environment in which OTHER LARGE ZERG GUILDS will fight against each other. Just because at the moment there is only Kittens doesn't mean there won't be more later on.

So my educated guess will be that you and you group of small guilds play the drags in your small guild only campaign (devs can limit access to a certain dreg campaign by size of the guild, easy to implement and this is what is likely to happen) but you have to serenely admit that there will be guilds and players looking for a way larger enviroment rather than a small group of small guilds and want to play a larger "political" game with guild/corporations involving more and more players.

To get back on topic of your "anti-zerg" mania. I am all favorable to anti-zerg!!! There is no fun in destroying small guilds by using a larger group. But stop thinking and acting like that there won't be campaigns suited to bigger and larger guilds!! We will just be in a different campaign and in a different dregs, fighting against similarly larger guilds. Hopefully with 24/7 fights. And these kinds of guilds will come. Kittens may be the first and at the moment the only one, but when more players will join more and more players will probably love the "thrill" to be in a huge political scenario and fights against a numerous army rather than a small group of really specialized players.

To each his own.

And by the way, when Kittens will reach 300 I will found Kittens 2. And then 3. And so on.

 

Could you please elaborate more? Thank you.

A zerg is a type of game mechanic where numbers guarantee success. Most of us are in guilds of 40 to 50 people. We want to have 30 on 50 fights. We enjoy having fights that may be lopsidded. These fights create memorable moments that define guild lore for years . I'm sure many of the veteran Darkfall and Shadowbane players fondly recall these kind of battles. The issue isn't about guild sizes, its about having mechanics in game that force large numbers of people in guilds. These people are then forced  to play on servers where their ping is poorly made socks because thats the only option you have to defend your guilds holdings. We want to be able to defend our stuff without having to play with a godawful ping. That's it. We can tell you how dull your pvp experience will be, we can tell you how little enjoyment your guild will have losing everything it makes without the ability to defend it. It's clear you have never played a PvP MMO, and you will have to experience this on your own accord.  

 

To elaborate on how the organization you run is creating a bullseye on it would be an effort in futility. If you don't understand how you're digging your own grave both in game mechanics and politics I can't help you.

Edited by Zatch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Zatch said:

Most of us are in guilds of 40 to 50 people. We want to have 30 on 50 fights.

Ok, so why guild cap is 300? Ask to make the guild cap about 30 or 50. As long as the guild cap is 300 you can't avoid 300 people jumping in and ruining your fun.

 

4 minutes ago, Zatch said:

To elaborate on how the organization you run is creating a bullseye on it would be an effort in futility. If you don't understand how you are digging your own grave both in game mechanics and politics I can't help you.

I feel you. I also sometimes get out of discussions I think are futile and useless. Well I guess this is over then. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate.

 

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nyamo said:

Thank you Krakken! I wish you the same!

I didn't said this. I said that you can't suppose all players are looking to the same thing.

Krakken, fun is so vague that leaves thousands of choices. It should be you (since it was you to use it) to pick a more precise one and then we go further from there, not me.

Yes I am!!! Isn't organizing a mega-corporation a thing in throne of war-games? EVE online has mega corporations. Sorry I was supposed this was a throne of war simulator.

Krakken and Zatch, how many people is a zerg?  100? 200? 300? So what about asking o reduce the number of maximum player allowed in a guild if you all are so scared by zergs?

Do you know that at the time writing the cap for guilds is 300? So do you think JTC and Blair set it up to 300 out of the blue?? I have no clue on what was in their mind when they set it up to 300 but to me if you set it up to 300 is because you "want" huge alliances, huge guilds, huge fights and a rich and developed political scenario... cause guess what??? This is a throne of war simulator!!!! And gathering a huge amount of people is one of the possible strategies (of course you have to pull it off, but that is another matter).

To me you are scared by zergs because zergs will ruin your fun 15 vs 15 small group of small friends that is against welcoming newcomers and will do everything they can to preserve their small heaven of your small group of close friends. And guess what?? This is perfectly fine for me. I am not against you having your heaven of small guilds fighting other small guilds. And I am not against your small guilds having campaigns tailored for small guilds neither. And I, at the moment leading (on paper, and just by mere number) the largest zerg of kittens in the game, have NO INTEREST AT ALL in your small guilds fights or quarrels.

I want an environment in which OTHER LARGE ZERG GUILDS will fight against each other. Just because at the moment there is only Kittens doesn't mean there won't be more later on.

So my educated guess will be that you and you group of small guilds play the drags in your small guild only campaign (devs can limit access to a certain dreg campaign by size of the guild, easy to implement and this is what is likely to happen) but you have to serenely admit that there will be guilds and players looking for a way larger enviroment rather than a small group of small guilds and want to play a larger "political" game with guild/corporations involving more and more players.

To get back on topic of your "anti-zerg" mania. I am all favorable to anti-zerg!!! There is no fun in destroying small guilds by using a larger group. But stop thinking and acting like that there won't be campaigns suited to bigger and larger guilds!! We will just be in a different campaign and in a different dregs, fighting against similarly larger guilds. Hopefully with 24/7 fights. And these kinds of guilds will come. Kittens may be the first and at the moment the only one, but when more players will join more and more players will probably love the "thrill" to be in a huge political scenario and fights against a numerous army rather than a small group of really specialized players.

To each his own.

And by the way, when Kittens will reach 300 I will found Kittens 2. And then 3. And so on.

 

Could you please elaborate more? Thank you.

You post a lot for a guy that claimed he didn't waste time in these meaningless arguments like 8 pages ago.  Screaming this is a Throne War Simulator is pointless.  There is no actual definition to what that means. 

Your mentality is very destructive to the game, and that's why we're trying to guide you down a different path.  The only true counter to a zerg is another zerg, and that's the problem.  You start the game on a cycle where numbers are the thing that matters most.  How big will a zerg get you ask?  I can tell you fairly precicely.  A zerg will grow up until the point where the server cant handle it anymore, it doesn't matter what the actual number is.  At that point you'll have epicly large in scale zerg battles in which everyone is lagged out,  you frequently crash the server and nobody truely has any fun.  The only result from that is masses of people quitting the game.

Alternately, if a zerg is allowed to grow without everyone else being forced to zerg as a counter, they will simply walk all over everyone else due to numbers alone.  The only outcome to that is that everyone will be wiped off the map except for the mega zerg, and then the mega zerg is left with nobody to fight.  Once again, leading to masses of people quitting the game. 

Just so there isn't any confusion by the way.  The majority of guilds in this dicussion are going to be fielding 100 plus players once the game goes live. 

 

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nyamo said:

Ok, so why guild cap is 300? Ask to make the guild cap about 30 or 50. As long as the guild cap is 300 you can't avoid 300 people jumping in and ruining your fun.

 

I feel you. I also sometimes get out of discussions I think are futile and useless. Well I guess this is over then. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate.

 

Do you know something I dont?  I've never seen them mention a guild cap, and I have a feeling that most people would not be in favor of it.  The main reason is that 50 hardcore players will never equal 50 casual players.  Typically hardcore players are few and like to stick together using tightly controlled tactics, this generally keeps their numbers low, say 30/50 members play each night as an example.  On the other hand a casual guild may have 150 players but only 50 on each night.  If they were to fight I'd put my money on the more cooredinated group of 30. 

I'm sure you can see how this is a delicate balance, and like most things in this style of game there is no perfect answer.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

You post a lot for a guy that claimed he didn't waste time in these meaningless arguments like 8 pages ago

I said I don't want to waste time with people who I can't have a discussion with. I never said this was meaningless otherwise I wouldn't be here replying. Please do not alter the meaning of my words, thank you.

3 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

Screaming this is a Throne War Simulator is pointless.  There is no actual definition to what that means. 

It is because there is no definition of it the real reason why we scream. If there was a definition we would just read that. It is like scientists discussing the origin of the universe. As long as there is no official definition the forums are the place to try to find the true meaning of it.

4 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

Your mentality is very destructive to the game, and that's why we're trying to guide you down a different path.

So me asking to have a different campaign in which I can play with like minded player is destructive? How can a different campaign WHERE YOU DO NOT TAKE PART alter your game experience at all? It is not my mentality that is destructive. I am just the first to bring out to the table a guild so numerous that is probably soon going to have different needs rather than the majority of the other guilds.

Now, you can think this is destructive, but if it wasn't me sooner or later you would have meet another player trying to do the same. So think of this like a chance. A chance for the game and the devs to think of what they are going to do with huge zerg guilds. 

9 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

The majority of guilds in this dicussion are going to be fielding 100 plus players once the game goes live. 

Fill in 100 members then!!!! You are more than welcome!!! Can't wait to see larger guilds!!!! Do your best, I wish you good luck.

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

Do you know something I dont?  I've never seen them mention a guild cap

Well if you go to your guild page it will shows the number of maximum members, which at the moment is set to 300, if is this what you are referring about.

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nyamo said:

Well if you go to your guild page it will shows the number of maximum members, which at the moment is set to 300, if is this what you are referring about.

All, probably just some arbitrary number made up on the fly.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

Though I do like that you're being more creative with your ideas, not a fan of the rechallenge concept.  Windows already solve the problem and they don't bother me.

 

Would those windows bother you if they were 10 AM PST to 2 PM PST?  Your responses have been very considerate, but what you are saying is this game should implement a system that prevents me from being able to play it.  And that's better than thinking about any other possible solution because it doesn't "bother" you.  It's hard not to take that personally.

 

I need to stop posting in this thread.  The more I think about it, the more emotional I become.  I did not consider even for a moment when buying into this MMO that, I, who have tons of free time, might not be able to play it.  If I can no longer play MMOs, I'm not sure what's left.  It's quite a depressing thought.  MMOs were the answer for what to do when all my friends are busy or when I couldn't sleep at night or when I had to travel for work and was hotel'd up all across the globe with none of my family or friends nearby.  To the extent that this is what I thought MMOs were for.  Their purpose.  A multiplayer persistent game you could any time and it was always there waiting for you.

I'm not sure if anyone else has played any of the Chinese buy2win games with their 6pm PVP events.  Really that's all I can think of right now.  They say if people miss important events they can pay money to catch up with their friends, but in reality people just don't play if a game revolves events that they can't participate in.  I'm just shocked.  This is really the best solution people can come up with?  I reread the comments in this thread and it just seems like a personal attack on me.  It's inconvenient for me to let you play.  Letting people like you play would require too much work trying to figure out a fair system.  We don't need people like you.  You have nothing to contribute here.  I can't take it anymore.  They'll make whatever game they want.  I'll play it or I won't.  I hope they let the players they are excluding from their game get a refund.  It's like IP blocking Russia or China after their players already purchased copies of the game.

I'm done in this thread.  I've said my peace.  I hope your job never asks you to switch to weekend shifts or sends you to a foreign country for a couple years or you have to work night shifts while traveling.  Because then all your investment in your game will be lost.  Enjoy it while you can.  I suppose I should be grateful to get to see that before investing more than the initial $150.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tsp_maj said:

All, probably just some arbitrary number made up on the fly.

The numbers may be arbitrary but the people inside them are real persons. What about the almost 150 I have already here? and if i bring this to 300?

So, to recap this in a peaceful matter, campaigns should be tailored to guild size. Small guilds fight other small guilds (even better if it is hardcore vs hardcore). Large casuals guild fights against other large casuals guilds. As you hardcore players want to decide the way you prefer to fight (primetime) we large guilds should be allowed the same (to me 24/7). You cant avoid players who want to zerg to group up and zerg, cause as Thomas Blair said "if there is a will there is a way". What you can do is to create different spaces for them and campaigns are the tools for this.

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nyamo said:

So, to recap this in a peaceful matter, campaigns should be tailored to guild size. Small guilds fight other small guilds (even better if it is hardcore vs hardcore). Large casuals guild fights against other large casuals guilds.

Those are called God's Reach, Infected & Dregs. Did it really take 150 posts to just reiterate what Crowfall will already have?

 

PS SB Mines 2.0 are Adventure Zones and POIs. 

Edited by Keaggan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Nyamo said:

Ok, so why guild cap is 300? Ask to make the guild cap about 30 or 50. As long as the guild cap is 300 you can't avoid 300 people jumping in and ruining your fun.

 

I feel you. I also sometimes get out of discussions I think are futile and useless. Well I guess this is over then. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate.

 

Guild cap is irrelevant as many of us will be forming alliances at some point or another. I like the flexibility of being able to change my allegiance based on what my guild wants to do. You want an organization that is large and isn't forced to have an alliance. Each system is fine and perfectly within the context what this game is to be about.  The overall issue isn't the size of your guild, it's that mechanics you want in the game which force all of us to have a terrible game experience. 

None of us want you to not play the game. In fact, I'd assume everyone in this thread is glad you are here. We want people playing, and if you want to have an international organization playing with you thats awesome too. The issue occurs when we have to recruit players who are going to have a subpar experience because we have to be able to defend our stuff 24/7. It isn't a fun experience for the recruiting guild and it isn't a fun experience for the individuals playing on 400+ ping. 

 

Edited by Zatch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nyamo said:

I said I don't want to waste time with people who I can't have a discussion with. I never said this was meaningless otherwise I wouldn't be here replying. Please do not alter the meaning of my words, thank you.

It is because there is no definition of it the real reason why we scream. If there was a definition we would just read that. It is like scientists discussing the origin of the universe. As long as there is no official definition the forums are the place to try to find the true meaning of it.

So me asking to have a different campaign in which I can play with like minded player is destructive? How can a different campaign WHERE YOU DO NOT TAKE PART alter your game experience at all? It is not my mentality that is destructive. I am just the first to bring out to the table a guild so numerous that is probably soon going to have different needs rather than the majority of the other guilds.

Now, you can think this is destructive, but if it wasn't me sooner or later you would have meet another player trying to do the same. So think of this like a chance. A chance for the game and the devs to think of what they are going to do with huge zerg guilds. 

Fill in 100 members then!!!! You are more than welcome!!! Can't wait to see larger guilds!!!! Do your best, I wish you good luck.

Fair point, I take back what I said.  Sorry.

Again, scream away.

I know you dont see it the same way, but Crowfall is one big community.  The more people that play on your server the less will be playing on mine.  I'll grant you that you will also attract a few more players only interested in what you're talking about.  What it boils down to is that I only see epic failure coming out of the server you're suggesting,  you're trying to repeat so many mistakes that have lead to the downfall of previous play to crush style games.  There is some grandure and romance in the ideas you suggest which will be attractive for some players, but when the server fails you're going to take most of them with you. 

That's basically my only point.  Do I think it'll make a major impact?  It depends really, worst case is the server is very popular at first and the implodes.  The large initial population will attract most PVPers as we tend to flock.  Most likely however, I think it'll just end up being a waste of time and the minimal impacts that it would have are not worth it.

You're certainly not the first person that wants to zerg in our community.  In Darkfall people went in approaching 3000 strong.  It played out just like everyone expected, as I tried to describe above.  The rest of us had to plus up to compete, I think our Alliance topped out at around 800 and we were the 6th largest.

I do think that bringing up the zerg discussion is a worthy topic of conversation, though I don't think there is really a solution.  If there is no restriction to zerging, which I doubt there will be, people will zerg to survive.  Its the cycle of life. 

 

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Keaggan said:

Those are called God's Reach, Infected & Dregs. Did it really take 150 posts to just reiterate what Crowfall will already have?

 

So you are saying large casuals guild shouldn't join the dregs? If this guild is "large" enough can zerg your lovely dregs. What I am advocating here is that there should be ruleset for small guild dregs and rulesets for large guild dregs or you will end up having large guild zergs ruining the experience there.

4 minutes ago, Zatch said:

We want people playing, and if you want to have an international organization playing with you thats awesome too. The issue occurs when we have to recruit players who are going to have a subpar experience because we have to be able to defend our stuff 24/7. It isn't a fun experience for the recruiting guild and it isn't a fun experience for the individuals playing on 400+ ping. 

An international guild is by definition a guild in which someone has to play with higher ping... otherwise it wouldn't be international (since the server has to be located in a physical place... so the real definition of international guild is a guild with high ping imo)!!! People joining an international guild are aware of the issue and are fine with that. So, ping is not a valid argument. It may be for you but not all players care about ping.

 

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Nyamo said:

The numbers may be arbitrary but the people inside them are real persons. What about the almost 150 I have already here? and if i bring this to 300?

So, to recap this in a peaceful matter, campaigns should be tailored to guild size. Small guilds fight other small guilds (even better if it is hardcore vs hardcore). Large casuals guild fights against other large casuals guilds. As you hardcore players want to decide the way you prefer to fight (primetime) we large guilds should be allowed the same (to me 24/7). You cant avoid players who want to zerg to group up and zerg, cause as Thomas Blair said "if there is a will there is a way". What you can do is to create different spaces for them and campaigns are the tools for this.

I mean the cap of 300 is likely an arbitrary number and its not really worth using as a point of reference as I doubt they put much thought into it at the time and its likely to change.

I guess my question would be, if there is a  server that is made for 30 man guilds, how do you stop a 150 man guild from playing on it?  If you can solve that problem I think you may be onto something (though I think most of the people in our community would revolt against any attempt at restriction).

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

Fair point, I take back what I said.  Sorry.

No need to apologizes!!!! It is perfectly fine you did nothing wrong.

3 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

I know you dont see it the same way, but Crowfall is one big community. 

Do not get me wrong I love the community and I love being part of it. But I simply think (and I may be wrong) this is the "backers" community. And to me (again, I may be wrong) JTC strive to reach a way larger audience than this one. So, I may the only one to "think different" (let me lend this prom Apple), but with more people joining the more "different" mind you will have. Today we argued, but I am not your enemy (in the mean of someone who wants the game to be destroyed and fail). On this I am sure we are all allies and we are all strieving to achieve the best for the game.

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Arcadi said:

Would those windows bother you if they were 10 AM PST to 2 PM PST?  Your responses have been very considerate, but what you are saying is this game should implement a system that prevents me from being able to play it.  And that's better than thinking about any other possible solution because it doesn't "bother" you.  It's hard not to take that personally.

 

I need to stop posting in this thread.  The more I think about it, the more emotional I become.  I did not consider even for a moment when buying into this MMO that, I, who have tons of free time, might not be able to play it.  If I can no longer play MMOs, I'm not sure what's left.  It's quite a depressing thought.  MMOs were the answer for what to do when all my friends are busy or when I couldn't sleep at night or when I had to travel for work and was hotel'd up all across the globe with none of my family or friends nearby.  To the extent that this is what I thought MMOs were for.  Their purpose.  A multiplayer persistent game you could any time and it was always there waiting for you.

I'm not sure if anyone else has played any of the Chinese buy2win games with their 6pm PVP events.  Really that's all I can think of right now.  They say if people miss important events they can pay money to catch up with their friends, but in reality people just don't play if a game revolves events that they can't participate in.  I'm just shocked.  This is really the best solution people can come up with?  I reread the comments in this thread and it just seems like a personal attack on me.  It's inconvenient for me to let you play.  Letting people like you play would require too much work trying to figure out a fair system.  We don't need people like you.  You have nothing to contribute here.  I can't take it anymore.  They'll make whatever game they want.  I'll play it or I won't.  I hope they let the players they are excluding from their game get a refund.  It's like IP blocking Russia or China after their players already purchased copies of the game.

I'm done in this thread.  I've said my peace.  I hope your job never asks you to switch to weekend shifts or sends you to a foreign country for a couple years or you have to work night shifts while traveling.  Because then all your investment in your game will be lost.  Enjoy it while you can.  I suppose I should be grateful to get to see that before investing more than the initial $150.

I still think you're missing something here.  There have been no real decisions announced and the majority of playtime will be doing things that are not within a window.  I'm also going to be overseas for a year after CF launches.  No big deal man, if you need someone to run with hit me up and I'll make sure you get your fair share of the action.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tsp_maj said:

I guess my question would be, if there is a  server that is made for 30 man guilds, how do you stop a 150 man guild from playing on it?  If you can solve that problem I think you may be onto something (though I think most of the people in our community would revolt against any attempt at restriction).

You limit server access based on guild actual members. So guilds below 30 play 0-30 servers, guild 30-60 plays 30-60 and so on. You make brackets. It's like Dota matchmaking but instead of being based on MMR it is based on guild member numbers.

Edited by Nyamo

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nyamo said:

No need to apologizes!!!! It is perfectly fine you did nothing wrong.

Do not get me wrong I love the community and I love being part of it. But I simply think (and I may be wrong) this is the "backers" community. And to me (again, I may be wrong) JTC strive to reach a way larger audience than this one. So, I may the only one to "think different" (let me lend this prom Apple), but with more people joining the more "different" mind you will have. Today we argued, but I am not your enemy (in the mean of someone who wants the game to be destroyed and fail). On this I am sure we are all allies and we are all strieving to achieve the best for the game.

Truth, above all I've learned that population is everything in an MMO.  The best game mechanics in the world are worthless without players.  When it comes to PvP when there is only one P left, it doesnt really work.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...