Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scree

Lets Talk About Runegates

I hate to say it, but Shadowbane did it pretty well. Specifically, in being able to use a single asset to grant access to multiple destinations, on several different continents. Even if the exact same system were not used, the same principle could certainly be followed. In fact, I can envision something not too different from what SB did, but that granted even greater control and flexibility.

I also like the idea of some gates or destinations being available only during the night or during the day. There is a lot of gameplay potential here, apart from simply making sure the gate system is easy to use.

I like the idea of random spawn points to prevent camping rune gates, sounds like they need to be farther spread apart though and if you are in a group make it random but make everyone in your group spawn in the same random location.

8 hours ago, Anthrage said:

I hate to say it, but Shadowbane did it pretty well. Specifically, in being able to use a single asset to grant access to multiple destinations, on several different continents. Even if the exact same system were not used, the same principle could certainly be followed. In fact, I can envision something not too different from what SB did, but that granted even greater control and flexibility.

I also like the idea of some gates or destinations being available only during the night or during the day. There is a lot of gameplay potential here, apart from simply making sure the gate system is easy to use.

I really liked the Traveler disc opening up the rune gates and allowing people to traverse great distances.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

I really liked the Traveler disc opening up the rune gates and allowing people to traverse great distances.  

I was thinking about exactly that earlier. It would be a a cool concept if they could encorporate something like that

12 hours ago, mandalore said:

If it were up to me, I would do the following:

-Have gates open on their own at certain times of day
-Have gates openable at any time by those with a particular discipline
-Use a system similar to bard and twisted songs, to mimic the funcionality of the different elemental powers of SB's Traveler

With song-type powers, you can accomplish complex results with a small set of powers, to achieve the necessary combinations for opening different gates and networks - using a power once does one thing, using another or the same power again does something else, using them in sequence etc. Having the gate stay open for a short period of time and usable by anyone else, as in SB, would also be good.

Edited by Anthrage

I'm not a fan of gates that can be owned, however if a force large enough can control the area around a gate and not allow players to go through, I favor that approach.  We have these awesome building blocks for cities, and I hope that they find a way for walls to cross over parcel boundaries so we can close off areas and control them.

I would like to see territory boundary walls, that give messages when the wall is being attacked. But that is not a system of the rune gates. Rune gates should be open to all, with special mechanics for investing a rune slot to the travel, like the traveller rune.

So far the basic setup of the rune gate is pretty good. Personally I don't like the random behavior when landing, and would prefer everyone to go through and come out on the same pad, which is currently an iteration of the gods temple.

lUvvzPy.png

Please no temporary runegates. I'd rather the game learn from Shadowbane and not have player summoning as well. Logistics should matter and as much as possible the war like conditions of move and counter move and territory control should matter. Not really excited about player recall either.

16 minutes ago, nomadmerc said:

Please no temporary runegates. I'd rather the game learn from Shadowbane and not have player summoning as well. Logistics should matter and as much as possible the war like conditions of move and counter move and territory control should matter. Not really excited about player recall either.

Summoning was a tactical and logistics power house.  It defined the way people would fight and resummoning allowed people to traverse great distances to get back in the fight.  CF is going to hit a wall with defensive banes being all about human wave attacks (imo).  If I can just force you off the field because you can't replace your loses easily then all I have to do is exploit that weakness until you aren't strong enough to remain on the field.  I didn't like people using evacs as it just felt weird but summoning as a system for sieges was basically required in Sb; the map was just too big and Cf looks like its replicating that size. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png