Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adrienne

Skill Training Redux

It has been 2 months since 5.6 started in Live, and we all started over. I’m curious how everyone is feeling about where they are in their skill training. This would be the end of the 20th month when we are in “real” time. 

I am generally satisfied with where I am in Exploration, but have only just started Melee, and I am just finishing up my second crafting skill. 

I’ve progressed through the top tier for each branch of Race, the second tier for one race in each, and have completed the third tier for one of my chosen races about a week ago. 

My class training has been similar to Race: all top tiers, one second tier in each branch, and ready to start the third tier for my preferred class a couple of weeks ago. Knowing that those skills weren’t yet available caused me to train in other classes than I would have had they been available, and I imagine, like Race, I would have already completed at least one. 

My only disappointment at this point is with Crafting. It’s hard to imagine that almost two years into the game, I would only be mastering two crafts. I’d be interested to know whether that will be satisfactory for everyone, or need some adjustment. 

8 minutes ago, Deernado said:

So are the amount of points we are being given now alot more than in we will receive in the live game?

What we are given now feels right.

We are getting points 10 times faster than planned for launch.

IhhQKY6.gif

Thats horrible...so they expect people to not be able to craft decent gear for almost a year?....

That timeline seems way too long.

Edited by Deernado

Just now, Deernado said:

Thats horrible...so they expect people to not be able to craft decent gear for almost a year?....

Depends on what you consider "decent."

We can craft Basics and Intermediates on day 1. It will take about a month to start crafting Advanced gear. After a year we should be crafting top-end Advanced gear.

IhhQKY6.gif

Just now, Jah said:

We can craft Basics and Intermediates on day 1. It will take about a month to start crafting Advanced gear. After a year we should be crafting top-end Advanced gear.

Thats way too long...the curve shouldn't take that long, especially for a game that is making crafting such a core element.

There needs to be more things to "unlock" sooner to keep character progression and crafting interesting.

EVE online has a huge time curve on the very end game stuff for skill points gained over real time. But they have tons of smaller upgrades, ships, skills, etc that unlock very early.

Its like playing EVE and being forced to stay in a starter ship for 6+ months...Not a very good idea.

This timeline will mean it will be over year before you can wear that standard plate or armor...Thats a long time for people to lose interest...

4 minutes ago, Deernado said:

When the game launches, no one will have advanced gear, so it won't matter. We can all fight against each other with basic/intermediate gear. Once people start making advanced gear, people will start selling advanced gear shortly after. New players won't need to wait a month to get advanced gear. All they will need to do is get some gold and buy it from other players. 

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the training time is adjusted at some point so that people can craft advanced stuff a bit quicker. I've suggested in the past that each successive profession that you train should take longer to unlock. So you could unlock the first advanced tree on day 1, but the 2nd crafting tree would take longer, and the 3rd even longer. They may not have the tech yet to do something like that, or it may just not be in the plans.

17 minutes ago, Deernado said:

This timeline will mean it will be over year before you can wear that standard plate or armor...

That isn't true. You only need to train 4 nodes in the Blacksmithing tree to start crafting plate. That won't take anywhere near a year.

kde73JL.png

IhhQKY6.gif

Well those number are not yet set in the stone right? I would say lets wait for the alpha campaign mentioned to be 5.8+ (?), and hopefully wipe & skill training more similar to launch version will be present so we can try the pace of the game with a lot slower progression. 

if i'm good, you neeed 19 910 point (from the skill tree in test server) to be able to start  blacksmith tree, it's not a lot

Edited by Uta

Just now, KrakkenSmacken said:

One weekend. Basics are fast. 

Yep, I think I overstated the time needed to start crafting Advanced. It won't even be a month. To unlock Blacksmithing takes just 5 nodes in crafting basics.

IhhQKY6.gif

5 minutes ago, Jah said:

Yep, I think I overstated the time needed to start crafting Advanced. It won't even be a month. To unlock Blacksmithing takes just 5 nodes in crafting basics.

Yea, I would have to look again, but I am sure it clocked in under 72 hours. I assumed starting Friday night after work, by EOD Sunday you get your first "real" recipe showing up. Playing your first full weekend in intermediates is not a bad thing, and you don't even need to be in intermediates if you buy off or get given gear from other players.

72 hours assumed driving straight at your profession, with no side tracks.  When we reset I left basics training to max points (30 days), and I basically filled the entire crafting tree with a capped score.

It's not like they can't reduce the costs of basics even more if 72 hours is too long.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

19 hours ago, Deernado said:

Jah,

Lets do a minimum time to get to that point from the previous tree as well.

I think it'll take just over 15 days before the first advanced weapons / armor can be crafted.

On 25/07/2018 at 7:26 AM, Deernado said:

there playing around with the speed atm it seems, next test is 3 points every 10 seconds (currently its 10 points every 10 seconds)

Veeshan Midst of UXA

'3 points per' is in effect right now on Test, and will be what we are dealing with when it goes to Live,  after a wipe. We will get a really good sense of just how long things take at that rate, where you will get about 50k points per week. That's a nice round number, and while it obviously means a longer time than we have now from Basics to Advanced, it's still well within the likely duration of the first campaign, which is what I am using for a yardstick in terms of how it will manifest in release gameplay. Stat the first campaign using Basics and Intermediates immediately, and transition to advanced before the campaign ends. That sounds about right to me.

One last thing, there have been indications of ways to accelerate training above what the base rate is, in real time. I forget what those were though - will try to find the reference - but the 1x or 3x value may not be the ultimate 'speed limit' in release 24/7.

Edited by Anthrage