Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hammur

5.7 Will there be a wipe?

1 hour ago, DocHollidaze said:

People complain about W?

Yes. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

5 hours ago, Pann said:

Yes, there will be a complete wipe - skills, Spirit Banks, EKs -- when 5.7 is deployed to LIVE. I'm nor able to give an ETA yet on when that will happen, but we're really close. Please watch for snap test announcements and pile in if you can. That will help us get 5.7 LIVE-worthy much faster. 

Thank you Pann. Please say my sincerely thanks to all the team who stood up for this dicey and difficult decision. I am sure new players will love a chance to catch up and I will do my best to keep them interested in the game and to provide them a friendly environment. Keep up the good work.

catfall-logo-typo-small.png

3x is hopefully going to be the new normal and baseline for release. It may be slower than 10X, but it's also faster than 1x - and to the same degree faster and slower than each, so a very good middle ground. It also gives you about 50k points per week, which is a really nice round number. I will be extremely happy if they go with 3x as the new training speed for launch.

3 minutes ago, Nyamo said:

the team who stood up for this dicey and difficult decision.

What?  How is this difficult or dicey?  They do it for every 5.X. transition.  Nobody was against this besides maybe Gradishar and for him it's not about losing some advantage it's about prospect of having to repeat the dozens (if not higher) hours farming for stuff he's already done 5 or 6 times before.  Please stay Balance. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Just now, mandalore said:

What?  How is this difficult or dicey? 

JTC called it dicey in a twitter. You should ask him not me.

1 minute ago, mandalore said:

Please stay Balance. 

Sure. If there is something else I can do for you let me know.

8 minutes ago, Anthrage said:

3x is hopefully going to be the new normal and baseline for release. It may be slower than 10X, but it's also faster than 1x - and to the same degree faster and slower than each, so a very good middle ground. It also gives you about 50k points per week, which is a really nice round number. I will be extremely happy if they go with 3x as the new training speed for launch.

I feel 3x is too slow with how linear each pip is currently. If they allowed us to advance after 3 pips instead of 4 then that would help get people to later tiers while still holding value with the 4th and 5th pips.

There is a real extreme between what we see with a pip being 360 points and a pip that is at 2k, then 5k and the normal at 10-20k.  I would be fine with 3x training speed if they would work the pips to be less steep.

lUvvzPy.png

17 minutes ago, Nyamo said:

Thank you Pann. Please say my sincerely thanks to all the team who stood up for this dicey and difficult decision. I am sure new players will love a chance to catch up and I will do my best to keep them interested in the game and to provide them a friendly environment. Keep up the good work.

The problem of catch up will happen eventually, and we won't have wipes at that point. The skills for the race/classes don't bring as much to the table as what gear sets do, so anyone "behind" was truly behind in gear.  Most of us knew a wipe was coming that's no big surprise.  The newer testers are still valuable because they are a gauge for how things are at that point, compared to testers that are more advanced in training.

Remember this isn't a game yet.

lUvvzPy.png

Just now, Teufel said:

The problem of catch up will happen eventually, and we won't have wipes at that point. The skills for the race/classes don't bring as much to the table as what gear sets do, so anyone "behind" was truly behind in gear.  Most of us knew a wipe was coming that's no big surprise.  The newer testers are still valuable because they are a gauge for how things are at that point, compared to testers that are more advanced in training.

Remember this isn't a game yet.

Thank you Teufel for remembering me something i already know, and I appreciate you care for my understanding on how things here are supposed to work. Thank you again for your kindness. 

2 minutes ago, Nyamo said:

Thank you Teufel for remembering me something i already know, and I appreciate you care for my understanding on how things here are supposed to work. Thank you again for your kindness. 

I feel it's important that we understand the game from a point of view of players that are behind in training. I am 100% OK with a wipe, but there is value to having disparity in training. Some things are not simply black and white, and a players response to being behind can be valuable information for devs as they approach things like tomes, and training speed.

If a player thinks they are behind and won't get into the game because they didn't start off training day 1,then we won't have as good of comparisons for when the game goes live.  If someone likes the game I would encourage them to get in and start, no matter if they are behind. I was behind in EvE by a few years, but never felt behind. So while my training was low, I never felt like I was at a disadvantage.

5.7 is going to bring some good changes. For that everyone should try it out.

lUvvzPy.png

1 minute ago, Teufel said:

I feel it's important that we understand the game from a point of view of players that are behind in training. I am 100% OK with a wipe, but there is value to having disparity in training. Some things are not simply black and white, and a players response to being behind can be valuable information for devs as they approach things like tomes, and training speed.

If a player thinks they are behind and won't get into the game because they didn't start off training day 1,then we won't have as good of comparisons for when the game goes live.  If someone likes the game I would encourage them to get in and start, no matter if they are behind. I was behind in EvE by a few years, but never felt behind. So while my training was low, I never felt like I was at a disadvantage.

5.7 is going to bring some good changes. For that everyone should try it out.

I agree on everything. But my thoughts are not limited to this.

At the moment we are "just" testing there is no NPE implemented yet and new players feel already "lost" from the very moment they put a feet here. Granted that is their "fault" for not researching that the game is in "pre-alpha" and we are here to "test" and this is not even a game... nonetheless this has a lot of side effects, like people ending up being unsatisfied, leaving the game and then blaming the development in other gaming communities/websites etc.

So, while it is true that this won't be the case anymore at release, at least at release we will have a finished game and the whole experience will be different. If sometimes we can do something to "cheer up" these new players that could have surely done a better research before buying a game in pre-alpha (insert random hate here, cause this seems a common trend now) I think that the community will benefit from it in the long run.

Of course my consideration may be wrong, but this is how i think on the matter.

What really needs to be gauged is the strength of community.  Are we going to wipe after launch because there is fear over new people not committing because their behind?  The guilds need to be tested - recruit, gear, mentor.  This game will be dependent on it at some point and it will be every player’s responsibility to support their faction in any capacity they can will be the critical factor.  This should be engrained and encouraged now.

Sure wipe this time but at some major expansion we have to test the community to lead retention of new people.

29 minutes ago, Glocko said:

What really needs to be gauged is the strength of community.  Are we going to wipe after launch because there is fear over new people not committing because their behind?  The guilds need to be tested - recruit, gear, mentor.  This game will be dependent on it at some point and it will be every player’s responsibility to support their faction in any capacity they can will be the critical factor.  This should be engrained and encouraged now.

Sure wipe this time but at some major expansion we have to test the community to lead retention of new people. 

I doubt they will ever wipe after their softlaunch begins. However, they will have catch up mechanics for new players to get through some of the early stuff faster. 

Creating a game system where new players are put into campaigns that are friendly to the issues new players have will do wonders for player retention. 

6 hours ago, Zatch said:

I doubt they will ever wipe after their softlaunch begins. However, they will have catch up mechanics for new players to get through some of the early stuff faster. 

Creating a game system where new players are put into campaigns that are friendly to the issues new players have will do wonders for player retention. 

This is what I was getting at when commenting that late comers to the game are actually good for the test right now.  It is a gauge for how soft launch and later will be.  If ACE has good catch up mechanics, or such broad training regimens that new players still feel valued, then coming late to the game will not be an issue.

lUvvzPy.png

I was just finishing getting skilled up to start crafting properly again after the latest skill wipe, and now this.

This "time based training" is good for one clear reason: you don't have to actually be on and play to make progress. It is bad for the exact same reason: you can't make progress by playing the game. What is the point, then?

OK call me when soft launch is coming, I'm giving up on this for now. See you around. Maybe.

Edited by elowallo

13 hours ago, Anthrage said:

I feel there just testing out the speed they should allow for progression and what not.

Veeshan Midst of UXA