Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raible

I'm Just Confused

I Kickstarted.  I've played RPG's, MMO's, etc for 20 years.

That said, I am just plain confused after I downloaded this game yesterday.  The UI is the most unintuitive thing I have ever dealt with.  I can't figure out how to do anything even remotely close to meaningful.  It really is terrible and while I'm grateful I had an opportunity to check this game out early because of my KS status, this whole thing really needs some work.  It's seriously awful.

Raible

Jah,

I thought I was rather specific in my post about what I was referring to when I said it was awful.  Your copy and paste and subsequent comment is a bit disingenuous.

Raible

1 hour ago, Raible said:

The UI is the most unintuitive thing I have ever dealt with. 

I am curious on what exactly was causing the issues - were you able to open inventory (I), slot abilities on the power tray (K), open the crafting menu (J)? If you are more used to playing tab target games that might seem weird as CF is action combat (Esc for cursor mode). The more specific your feedback is, the easier it is for the devs to make improvements.

There isn't any type of new player experience/tutorial designed yet, as that is one of the last things they will work on but the tutorial short videos do help:

tiPrpwh.png

7 hours ago, Raible said:

really needs some work.  It's seriously awful.

Did you create a Confessor as your first class character? 

Joking aside, I felt the same way when I initially joined. When I logged in for the first time, I rarely saw other players, had zero clue where to start and what to do. I gave up, logged out and played another game.

I decided to give this game another shot a couple of months later. This time I started reading the forums, watched the tutorial videos and asked for game advice for those willing to help. I have been playing ever since.

If you just joined yesterday (campaign), the server is a ghost town because 5.7 is about to drop and a majority of the playerbase is playing test. Mostly because the new update though, no one is interesting in playing because everything will be wiped. This is actually good news for you because you can use the next few days to test out which class/craft you like best, test all disciplines on test dummies, brush up your game knowledge and nail down your training plan for the new 3x training.

Redbeard_14 does a EK fight night every Friday at 10pm CST. Its alot of dueling in basic gear so it's a great place to test, learn and have fun. Either way, coming from someone who originally shared the same opinion of this game, I hope you give it a chance because the game is constantly improving and is fun.

Edited by Hunt

8 hours ago, Raible said:

I Kickstarted.  I've played RPG's, MMO's, etc for 20 years.

That said, I am just plain confused after I downloaded this game yesterday.  The UI is the most unintuitive thing I have ever dealt with.  I can't figure out how to do anything even remotely close to meaningful.  It really is terrible and while I'm grateful I had an opportunity to check this game out early because of my KS status, this whole thing really needs some work.  It's seriously awful.

Raible

Welcome to the forums.

There is no reason to be confused. First of all, this is not a game, this is a pe-alpha playtest environment. As an experienced MMO player you might be able to understand that more than others. Tough, of course ACE does a lot of things different than other companies - and of course most people don't have the time or passion to follow every little word during development.

In Crowfall the definition of Pre-Alpha stage is that it only includes some of the future mechanics of the later game, and not yet all. In other words, not all major parts have been developed or publicly tested yet; some are still missing. Before this has been done, it'll only cost unnecessary time and money to develop an UI and a new-player-experience system ... especially considering that it would have to be changed anyways after all the major system are in. ACE tries to avoid anything that might cost time/money without helping the game to develop. The result is what you experienced.

Currently the playtest access is good for people who would like to learn about the basics of the later game, find comrades and get involved into the community early or just like to find bugs and give feedbacks that may change details of the later game. It's not like playing a game yet (though we are getting closer). It is topical bug hunting and influencing the future of the game.

You did the first step by not just being disappointed, but actively giving feedback. Thats a good thing. But i hope you will understand that the issues you mentioned are mostly not more but temporary playtester convenience issues at the current stage of development. We had it a lot worse. And ACE did a lot to make things more convenient for us testers. More fruits wouldnt be worth the squeeze. All in all, it is ok. But of course you are right, the UI has to be redone. And it definitely will be. But this is something that will most like be adressed wholehearted only after we reached alpha.

Anyway, welcome to the Club of Testers ... if you choose to be one. ;) Meanwhile the official guide may help you with your first steps.

Greetings

Kraahk

Edited by Kraahk

13 hours ago, Raible said:

...It's seriously awful.

The GUI for Fortnite is hands down the worst, most unintuitive, bass-ackwards things I've ever had the misfortune of using.

IMHO, Crowfall's is just... different. Granted things are missing from the overall design that should be there. But I suppose, that after playing games like EQ1, and Dark Age of Camelot, I'm just accustomed to the GUI reflecting the game's design more than the player's needs.

Though I agree with those above, that some more... specific complaints would be great, as would a selection of them being added to the Suggestion forum; I can accept and respect that it didn't click with you. A lot of the central GUI is placeholder at the moment. If you watch through the design session videos with the developers, you'll notice that a large emphasis has been placed on getting command line calls in place long before the systems are complete.

GUI is this team's last stage in feature polishing. So if you're frustrated, seeing things missing, wonder why things seem crammed in in places, and so on, that's logical... it's unfinished.

We just had a complete overhaul of the skills GUI in 5.6. And I mean complete. I expect other GUI elements will go through similar transformations as their Beta candidate features enter the game.

It's just silly to built a wired, beautiful, fully functional GUI when things are still shifting around so massively.

But I reiterate, specific suggestions, maybe even with accompanying doodles, are hugely helpful, and open up great discussions in the Suggestions Forum. Perhaps you can distill some of your thoughts in the form of something constructive over there. 

6nraKf.png

Unfortunately, it's not very intuitive... having to swap back and forth from one tray to another... or two others, opening inventory keeping you from moving, sometimes you can access things, sometimes not... it's really not a 2018 type of UI.

Having said that, you'll get used to it.  :P

Z

You Don't Stop Playing Games when You Get Old...

You Get Old When You Stop Playing Games!