Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Merrex

Why Don't Items stay on your vessel ?

Why doesn't the armor weapons and gear stay on your vessel like your Disciplines ? And for that matter why doesn't the stuff in your inventory stay on the Vessel ? If you die to another player your inventory is loot-able but not items you had equipt. If that's true that means the crow spirit can not physically hold anything just the vessels. So when I die at the crypt by drinking the poison to inhabit another vessel why does the Gear and inventory carry over to the new vessel I am inhabiting ?

9 hours ago, Merrex said:

Why doesn't the armor weapons and gear stay on your vessel like your Disciplines ? And for that matter why doesn't the stuff in your inventory stay on the Vessel ? If you die to another player your inventory is loot-able but not items you had equipt. If that's true that means the crow spirit can not physically hold anything just the vessels. So when I die at the crypt by drinking the poison to inhabit another vessel why does the Gear and inventory carry over to the new vessel I am inhabiting ?

I have the feeling you are looking for lore logic at a place that is mostly about game design decisions.

If you die, you won't loose your equipped items - to enable you to start fighting immediately again, without having to get new armor/weapons first.

If you change your vessel, your inventory carries over - to prevent you from abusing vessels as (literally) free and save additional inventory "chests".

And thats it. It may change. We don't know. You can make suggestions in the suggestion area to raise the visibilitity of any specific idea you might have about how it might work in a better way.

4 hours ago, Kraahk said:

I have the feeling you are looking for lore logic at a place that is mostly about game design decisions.

If you die, you won't loose your equipped items - to enable you to start fighting immediately again, without having to get new armor/weapons first.

If you change your vessel, your inventory carries over - to prevent you from abusing vessels as (literally) free and save additional inventory "chests".

And thats it. It may change. We don't know. You can make suggestions in the suggestion area to raise the visibilitity of any specific idea you might have about how it might work in a better way.

You missed the "can this race/class equip these items" problem.

Move from an Assassin to champion, and the poison slot is gone.  Move from a confessor to a ranger, and the book slot is no longer available. 

The simplest solution, force everything to be unequipped and get the player to re-equip what they can. It's much more elegant a solution than trying to build a decision tree that can change frequently as to whether or not to equip/unequip specific slots.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

You missed the "can this race/class equip these items" problem.

Move from an Assassin to champion, and the poison slot is gone.  Move from a confessor to a ranger, and the book slot is no longer available. 

The simplest solution, force everything to be unequipped and get the player to re-equip what they can. It's much more elegant a solution than trying to build a decision tree that can change frequently as to whether or not to equip/unequip specific slots.

I was not suggesting that the armor and weapons would move to the new Vessel I was wondering why they can't just stay on that old vessel just like Disciplines do.

I can see how someone would use the Vessels as Banks if the inventory items would stay on them. I guess I have just become used to every other game out there that allows for this and I really did not think it was a big problem. But if it is a game breaker then I guess you can't have that happen.

I was thinking more along the lines that it would be much more logical and enjoyable for a player to simply jump into another vessel and run out to help take a keep instead of having to search for that characters armor / weapons / jewelry / cloaks / amulets / ect .... maybe it is designed it to be a hard to transition to new vessels.

28 minutes ago, Merrex said:

I was not suggesting that the armor and weapons would move to the new Vessel I was wondering why they can't just stay on that old vessel just like Disciplines do.

I can see how someone would use the Vessels as Banks if the inventory items would stay on them. I guess I have just become used to every other game out there that allows for this and I really did not think it was a big problem. But if it is a game breaker then I guess you can't have that happen.

I was thinking more along the lines that it would be much more logical and enjoyable for a player to simply jump into another vessel and run out to help take a keep instead of having to search for that characters armor / weapons / jewelry / cloaks / amulets / ect .... maybe it is designed it to be a hard to transition to new vessels.

Disciplines are once on, all ways on, not something you swap, so they are a totally different thing than gear.

What would be less convenient do you think, because there really only two choices.

All items stay on the vessel when it dies, and you have to bank then remove stuff you want switched. Armor for example is race/class neutral, so you can always port from one vessel to the other.

OR

All items move with the vessel and you have to go to your bank to pick up vessel specific gear.

Either way is going to be inconvenient from one side of the equation, but the latter is far less prone to openings for abuse.

Wouldnt having armor specific to your vessel make it more inconvenient? It seems a lot more convenient to manage an extra six inventory items versus creating six brand new items.  

3 hours ago, Zatch said:

Wouldnt having armor specific to your vessel make it more inconvenient? It seems a lot more convenient to manage an extra six inventory items versus creating six brand new items.  

That does depend. 

If you have crafting/harvesting focused armor and gear as opposed to combat,  it may be more convenient to leave it on the crafting built vessel, than to have to bank it and swap it on every time you want to craft.

There is something to be said for leaving gear on, as well as something to be said for forcing it off.  There are trade offs with either system.

16 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

That does depend. 

If you have crafting/harvesting focused armor and gear as opposed to combat,  it may be more convenient to leave it on the crafting built vessel, than to have to bank it and swap it on every time you want to craft.

There is something to be said for leaving gear on, as well as something to be said for forcing it off.  There are trade offs with either system.

This is kinda what I was thinking lets say you make 6 vessels  ( 2 for crafting with specialized armor and items tailored just for this and 2 for PvP with combat type gear then 2 gatherers )  4 pieces of armor 2 rings 1 amulet 1 cloak 2 weapons thats 10 special items per character 60 items in total I was thinking how it would be nice to not have to dig through tons of stuff to find that one set of gear for your Support healer or Melee fighter or Wood gatherer. wouldn't it be nice if it was already on the vessel you left it on. Maybe have a option so you can leave it on that vessel if you want or not. It would be up to you and your play style.

36 minutes ago, Merrex said:

This is kinda what I was thinking lets say you make 6 vessels  ( 2 for crafting with specialized armor and items tailored just for this and 2 for PvP with combat type gear then 2 gatherers )  4 pieces of armor 2 rings 1 amulet 1 cloak 2 weapons thats 10 special items per character 60 items in total I was thinking how it would be nice to not have to dig through tons of stuff to find that one set of gear for your Support healer or Melee fighter or Wood gatherer. wouldn't it be nice if it was already on the vessel you left it on. Maybe have a option so you can leave it on that vessel if you want or not. It would be up to you and your play style.

Leaving equipped items on, but inventory not, would curtail some of the vessel as bank problem.

I think the biggest issue with inventory mule vessels would be for food of all things.  If you have unlimited storage of food, then winter isn't nearly as impactful as it could be.  Guilds would have tons of vessels whose only purpose is to hold food.  

Merrex talks about equipment. Not inventory.

And yes, it would be nice to have shared inventory and per vessel equipment. Why should my druid carry the weapons of all other vessels around until they need them again? But Merrex example with armor specialized on combat/harvesting/crafting is even better.