KmpDigital

Crafting and harvesting

Recommended Posts

Good day guys,

Im Interested in playing this game as an alternative to EVE online. I am really only interested in crafting. I like the aspect of sudo auto harvesting in Eve and wonder if there is a way to do this in Crowfall? Any  industry players of EVE willing to do a pro con or difference list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend waiting.  In my opinion, the current state of crafting is not engaging for full time human attention and an economy is non-existent.  Crafting is for bots and alt-accounts.  Buying and selling is for people who just want to help new players and solo players out of the good of their hearts.

I believe this will change.  But how exactly has not been explicitly laid out and its success is hardly guaranteed.  I would desperately like it to be better as I enjoy economic PvP, but unless you would like to buy in, test the game in its current non-existent state, and argue for change on the forums against many detractors, you are better off waiting until further down the line.

You can read some more of my initial impressions here: 

Furthermore, I'm happy to clarify or expound on any detailed points that might interest you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full disclosure, I cannot compare this game to EVE because I was furiously into Anarchy Online when it came out and ignored it.  After 5 years of heavy 50+ hours/week Anarchy Online play, many guildees had left and forming new relationships only to see people leave got more and more depressing.  At this point I looked into it, but I couldn't stand joining late to catch up and I didn't want to RMT an account.

I am a huge fan of shareholding board games however.  1817 being by far my favorite--hands down the best way you can spend 8-12 hours face to face with 4-6 rational thinkers.  Short selling, mergers, acquisitions, bankruptcies (both engineered and inevitable)--if I could get real life friends together to play 1817 all day long, I would never need to play online games.  1830 is also great, or shorter (but still interesting) games like Medici, Wabash Canonball, or Age of Steam can also be quite interesting.  If you can round up face-to-face friends, that might be an exciting alternative.

Edited by Arcadi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KmpDigital said:

Good day guys,

Im Interested in playing this game as an alternative to EVE online. I am really only interested in crafting. I like the aspect of sudo auto harvesting in Eve and wonder if there is a way to do this in Crowfall? Any  industry players of EVE willing to do a pro con or difference list. 

Welcome to the forum.

 

It's not in, but "bulk" harvesting is going to take the form of large construction blocks being broken into smaller crafting resources.  No AFK harvesting.  Getting those blocks from the field to where they can be broken down is going to be a combat centered escort caravan sort of thing.

(Partly Confirmed in the last Q&A)

You may also find this fly on the wall a bit more detailed regarding the goals of harvesting.

 

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

It's not in, but "bulk" harvesting is going to take the form of large construction blocks being broken into smaller crafting resources.  No AFK harvesting.  Getting those blocks from the field to where they can be broken down is going to be a combat centered escort caravan sort of thing.

(Partly Confirmed in the last Q&A)

 

Yes, as you'll see in my meta-thoughts thread as well.  The interaction and engagement of Combat and Harvesting *are* shaping out to be quite interesting.  How they will fit Crafters into that loop, remains to be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Arcadi said:

Yes, as you'll see in my meta-thoughts thread as well.  The interaction and engagement of Combat and Harvesting *are* shaping out to be quite interesting.  How they will fit Crafters into that loop, remains to be seen.

Once the crafting 1.5 pass drops (5.8-5.9) and then finally the thralls and blue prints (unknown when), I think we will get to see just how the material costs pan out a bit better. 

When crafters can turn 3 legendary ore , and 6 white, into a BP that can crank out 100 identical legendary bars for a weapon building base, the whole economy game will change.

Going to need piles and piles of white mats to try to cheaply build up legendary gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og_DJoG08T4

 

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KmpDigital said:

Any  industry players of EVE willing to do a pro con or difference list. 

I have limited experience with EVE, but these are a couple of major differences I can see with the crafting system:

1. Crowfall has no Auction House - there is an npc vendor system that is similar to  Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies. https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/an-introduction-to-vendors/

 2. Every crafted item in Crowfall can be unique - the recipes determine base values only, the end result is determined by the type and quality of resources you use, your trained skill, your character build/gear/vessel/buffs/station, and your experimentation results. There will be an automated crafting production system (not yet in testing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2018 at 8:03 PM, miraluna said:

I have limited experience with EVE, but these are a couple of major differences I can see with the crafting system:

1. Crowfall has no Auction House - there is an npc vendor system that is similar to  Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies. https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/an-introduction-to-vendors/

 2. Every crafted item in Crowfall can be unique - the recipes determine base values only, the end result is determined by the type and quality of resources you use, your trained skill, your character build/gear/vessel/buffs/station, and your experimentation results. There will be an automated crafting production system (not yet in testing).

Eve does not have craftsmen, it has manufacturers. You shop the market for standard materials, set up your factory run, produce 100 Standard Type 1a widgets, and then you go to the market to compete with others for market volume & margin. When you need more, you repeat the process. Player skill is about minimizing cost, manipulating the market, and managing supply chains.

Like SWG, Crowfall will have craftsmen. Quality Value will matter. Knowing how best to fill the needs of this specific customer will matter.

As a weaponsmith in SWG, I often gave guildies and bounty hunters a weapon to try. On first inspection they'd call it junk, but they'd try it, and then beg for more. Balancing damage range against durability, +ToHit modifiers, and combat resource costs for a specific player's style was an art; and it payed well.

Edited by VaMei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a question regarding the race/class/crafting tree. For example: say if i was a guinecean duelist, and i want to work on necromancy and alchemy, however my class has benefits of only logging and woodworking. Would that mean that i would be better off doing logging and woodworking ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Herosrage said:

I had a question regarding the race/class/crafting tree. For example: say if i was a guinecean duelist, and i want to work on necromancy and alchemy, however my class has benefits of only logging and woodworking. Would that mean that i would be better off doing logging and woodworking ?

You should be able to reach the stat caps regardless of what race/profession you choose. Choosing a race that gets bonuses in your chosen profession just means it will be a little easier to hit those caps. So play whatever race/profession you want to. Just bear in mind that you can have multiple vessels, so if you wanted to have a guinecean duelist for combat and a different race/class for crafting, you could do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Arkade said:

You should be able to reach the stat caps regardless of what race/profession you choose. Choosing a race that gets bonuses in your chosen profession just means it will be a little easier to hit those caps. So play whatever race/profession you want to. Just bear in mind that you can have multiple vessels, so if you wanted to have a guinecean duelist for combat and a different race/class for crafting, you could do that.

Thank you , yeah i was wondering if it made a huge difference. But yeah i will probably use two dif vessels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.