Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wrain

Came here for Shadowbane/Pvp, not pass/craft sim

Not sure what is going on with the direction of this game, but I don't feel like "crafting" simulator 2020 is what pvper's are looking for.

Buddy already quit, and 5.7 just feels more like a wow/fortnite/eve bastard-child.

I seriously thought this game was going to bring back that dark/evil feeling of Shadowbane.  In-depth classes, ways to screw up your toon, and 1000's of different build/combos.   Instead its cartoony, wow-esk, and wants to add the new craze of "crafting survival game".

Cmon guys, your BASE who came here are us older adults who flocked to your original love.  Shadowbane/DAOC/UO....Hoping this project really makes a hard-right turn. ;(

I just addressed this in another thread so I'll just leave the same answer here.

Just now, Brevalear said:

I agree with everyone who keeps trying to tell the 'moar pvp!' folks complaining that this is not a game, it is a test environment. I understand this message doesn't seem to be getting through so let me try this another way.

There isn't a single full pvp gameloop implemented in the current environment (5.7). Sure there are capturable keeps, forts, camps, etc. and it affects the faction slider to one extent or another but even 'winning' a campaign does nothing for those within the faction so that gameloop isn't complete either.

It's been said many times before and I'll say it as well...If you don't like testing the current features then logoff and wait for features you do like.

I'm sorry but I COMPLETELY disagree with your statements.  "If we dont like PROJECTING AND TESTING THE FUTURE OF THIS GAME...log off???".

I'm sorry, but that is the ABSOLUTE worst piece of advice you could give future testers/gamers.  The very fact that they have instituted this MUCH time into a "CRAFTING SURVIVAL" aspect is a strong compass as to whats going on behind the scenes.  

1.  What pvp gameloop are you suggesting?  You mean the static press 1,2,3 get behind the target/do a circle and somehow you think this is changing???

2.  What, by constructing "new area's/maps" with keeps and throne take overs this is going to vastly change the ground-work of what were utilizing now?

3. I'm talking about actual "gameplay" and you are reflecting as if somehow making the board game "larger and more tactical" is somehow going to revamp the issues.

Were not on here saying "MORE PVP", were saying THERE IS NO REAL GOOD PVP CONTENT/CLASSES/DYNAMICS!!!  You have a system where more time is being put into "harvesting/crafting/naming weapons/gear.  My proof??? Simple, they already revamped the class/classes setup once already.  They are "SHORT" on races/class combo/disciplines compared to the original Shadowbane from over a decade ago.  

If you never played original shadowbane, UO, beta DAOC, beta WoW OR ANY PVP DRIVEN GAME BEFORE 2003.  Then you really aren't able to grasp what the majority of us over 35+ are saying/remembering.

I'm not trying to slam you, merely stating the "COMPASS" on this game is not what I nor my friends were expecting.  Even the graphics are "fluffy and light" compared to the old dark drizzled pvp games of old.

Shadowbane was BROKEN beyond belief.  Wolfpack studio was just a group of basically "friends" who designed/created a dream.  Joseph and Todd basically had the idea/goal from the game "Meridian 59" (great game btw!) They played chaos mud together and thus in an APARTMENT created Wolfpack.   As for alpha, I dont know anyone or IF anyone was technically playing an alpha besides the devs/family.

But there are 2 points you are failing to understand.

1.  There WAS NO ALPHA for consumers back then.  In fact, Today's so called "betas" would be considered a disgrace over a decade ago.  These "kickstarter/pre-release" titles imo are killing games.  Far far to many releases that take our money and never end up with a promised completed release.  The dev's just move onto another "game" idea.

2. Shadowbane's core/principle was ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS built on the goal/design of fixing the error UO was headed with EA.  (They had began removing full PK zoning tram/fel)

My point still remains.  You can drop a blueprint on something in life but you always look at the frame.  If someone wants a sports car and a year later you are looking at a frame that holds 12 family members....that's a damn bus.  I don't care what you say, its NOT ever going to be fit for racing.

BTW, Shadowbane was pushed out due to time/cash/developer issues.  Its a real shame.  That game had a HUGE following and did real well out the gate.  Its just unfortunate they were not given another 6months-year to clean up.  I'm not a fan of the "big boys" in gaming.  IMO its why BLIZZARD before selling out to Activision always did so well.

(Look at WoW today vs 2004 WoW's rulesets)  Death of server families, no customization, instant gratification, trophies for all...its a massive market fishing net.

That my 2 cents.  I still see no upcoming games that remind me of EQ/UO/DAOC...well, perhaps 1 but its not really known quiet yet.

19 hours ago, jaygrae said:

I'm sorry but I COMPLETELY disagree with your statements.  "If we dont like PROJECTING AND TESTING THE FUTURE OF THIS GAME...log off???".

I'm sorry, but that is the ABSOLUTE worst piece of advice you could give future testers/gamers.

Disagree as much as you want but
  1.  You have no control over what the Devs want us to test.
  2.  Even Todd has said the same thing. 
Instead of being bored or annoyed about what is currently in place and quitting the game for good, wait for the features you would enjoy testing.

The very fact that they have instituted this MUCH time into a "CRAFTING SURVIVAL" aspect is a strong compass as to whats going on behind the scenes. 

You saying that because these developers are spending a lot of time on new complicated mechanics they don't have as much experience with....the game will not be what they promised from the start? Personally I think it makes perfect sense.

1.  What pvp gameloop are you suggesting?  You mean the static press 1,2,3 get behind the target/do a circle and somehow you think this is changing???

2.  What, by constructing "new area's/maps" with keeps and throne take overs this is going to vastly change the ground-work of what were utilizing now?

3. I'm talking about actual "gameplay" and you are reflecting as if somehow making the board game "larger and more tactical" is somehow going to revamp the issues.

There is quite a long list of pvp gameloops  which will directly effect 'gameplay' that I have heard mentioned at various times by the devs and many of the oldest testers.

The most obvious one I can think of right now is the disciplines. Right now they are available in your crafting menu and can  be made with some slag and dust. The game design for disciplines is to have the vast majority of them exist throughout the world and players will have to go out and hunt down the pieces to create them.

Were not on here saying "MORE PVP", were saying THERE IS NO REAL GOOD PVP CONTENT/CLASSES/DYNAMICS!!! 

You are not wrong but we have circled back to 'what is in the test environment is what the devs need us to test'.

20 hours ago, jaygrae said:

If you never played original shadowbane, UO, beta DAOC, beta WoW OR ANY PVP DRIVEN GAME BEFORE 2003.  Then you really aren't able to grasp what the majority of us over 35+ are saying/remembering.

You should not assume anything about other people, especially on the internet. I have played online games going back to the MUDs in the 90's. I did not play shadowbane but I played some of the other games you mentioned as well as many others.

20 hours ago, jaygrae said:

I'm not trying to slam you, merely stating the "COMPASS" on this game is not what I nor my friends were expecting.  Even the graphics are "fluffy and light" compared to the old dark drizzled pvp games of old.

Your statements have zero affect on me, they only show the community how you are not knowledgeable about this games development and instead of trying to educate yourself you would rather complain.

Yes true I invested money for an exciting PvP focused game which is fast paced with a good quick progression system that actually reward a player in PvP, and not a farm simulator for resources with skills & items locked behind a time wall which need years to train and unlock. And active resource mines in SB solved part of that harvesting issue we see now in CF - so it need to come back for sure Including elite/legendary weapon/armor drops on monsters with timers - which generate hot PvP zones in any campaign settings. So gear and rune hunting need to be part of this game, because it was fun and it generated exciting PvP while we waited for an active bane stone or carpet bane your cities in the old Shadowbane game. 

I don`t care if the prize go down for rare items which take months to unlock if you`re going to craft such items, but that should be an option too. In most mmos that crafting part is a side project. Because most enjoy the PvP aspect of it and hence why so many hardcore PvPèrs are on this forum who have PvP experience since the Old UO/Shadowbane, Darkfall days. 

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

On 8/17/2018 at 12:45 AM, jaygrae said:

Not sure what is going on with the direction of this game, but I don't feel like "crafting" simulator 2020 is what pvper's are looking for.

Buddy already quit, and 5.7 just feels more like a wow/fortnite/eve bastard-child.

I seriously thought this game was going to bring back that dark/evil feeling of Shadowbane.  In-depth classes, ways to screw up your toon, and 1000's of different build/combos.   Instead its cartoony, wow-esk, and wants to add the new craze of "crafting survival game".

Cmon guys, your BASE who came here are us older adults who flocked to your original love.  Shadowbane/DAOC/UO....Hoping this project really makes a hard-right turn. ;(

I was in for SB beta and launch+ 6 year and have been testing CF from HD, SP...   through all of the iterations it is laughable that you join now and think it is a harvesting/crafting sim while the materials for a full set of advanced weapons and armor take all of 20 minutes to farm because YOU CAN BUY ALL OF THE MATERIALS now at a fort or keep.  ALL you have to do is kill 10 or so mobs and know/meet someone or a guild to craft it for you and often there are players in your faction willing to do so.   You can be PvPing in less time than it took you to complain here in these boards.   Sorry but a game doesn't get any easier if they left the weapons and armor sitting on the ground like arena play.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

You can buy useless gear and white common materials @Frykka - if u want legendary you need to start farming sim 5.7 version, and with right tools and training which is harvesting. And such a system should be optional at best in any true pvp games which Todd should have stopped T. Blair a long time ago. Yes items will drop like in Shadowbane, but it has nothing to do with Arena or BR type of games. It generate PvP hot spots or point of interest which is crucial on a campaign world map.  

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

46 minutes ago, mythx said:

You can buy useless gear and white common materials @Frykka - if u want legendary you need to start farming sim 5.7 version, and with right tools and training which is harvesting. And such a system should be optional at best in any true pvp games which Todd should have stopped T. Blair a long time ago. Yes items will drop like in Shadowbane, but it has nothing to do with Arena or BR type of games. It generate PvP hot spots or point of interest which is crucial on a campaign world map.  

Could dense resource areas be the pvp hot spots you are look for? I wonder if those are in the game...

The only difference between Crowfall and what you described is players hitting the resource rocks versus killing a mob. In reality it isn't much different.

Edited by Zatch

42 minutes ago, mythx said:

I don't understand the "If you want legendary.." because legendary gear is far beyond the progression right now...   everyone is in white advanced (hardly useless) gear or will be in a day or so and anyone even attempting uncommon green gear will get a flawed/failure piece and waste the green mats.   If you want legendary gear you are out of luck just like everyone else... it cannot be made and won't for 2 more months... no one has it and neither do you.   Your point has nothing to do with what I said...   which is you don't have to harvest or craft to get equally geared right now and you can do it in under 1 hour easily.   No items will drop in CF...  only pieces needed to craft items.  

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

2 hours ago, Zatch said:

Could dense resource areas be the pvp hot spots you are look for? I wonder if those are in the game...

The only difference between Crowfall and what you described is players hitting the resource rocks versus killing a mob. In reality it isn't much different.

No, you are not going to get any resources beyond the common white color without having harvesting skills and going out or paying someone else to do it for you...period...   your attempt to kill the player driven economy by removing the value of harvesting time and effort and crafting time and effort for the sake of personal preference is rather ridiculous.   Again pay someone else to do it if you don't want to, that's how player run economies roll.   There are PvP hot spots right now, the risen canyon for farming hands and coin is one...  there are others as well.   

A legitimately Player Run economy depends entirely on rarity and thus difficulty of obtaining top quality gear...  the price depends 100% on how hard it was to make or obtain.   You let anything like that drop from any mob and you will simply destroy the economy in a heartbeat or as fast as duping does.  Todd has always been 100% for a player run economy and he knows how it works...

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

On 8/15/2018 at 9:52 AM, dolmar said:

Oh boy...we now have people actually saying "banging on rocks is pretty much the same as hunting/mobs...I don't even know where to begin...

Already got good; along with over 70% of the player-base no longer logging in.  Even the MMO sites are barren for CF. Feel free to check forum activity.  Playing a "single-player crafting game" sounds right up your alley.

Edited by jaygrae

Its not like the game is bad or has a bad design its just the absense of goals that keep people from logging in. When you play the campaign actually capturing anything has no meaning cause it will not take over to your eternal kingdom cause things get reseted quit frenquently. I don`t know what you expect. This is not a finished game its labeld as pre alpha so expect things to change sooner or later and to have more meaning. If you where observing the developement process for some time you could see that more and more parts of the great puzzle that make the game come together and that it is starting be be a real game. be patient, i said that alraedy in antoher thread.

11 hours ago, jaygrae said:

Already got good; along with over 70% of the player-base no longer logging in.  Even the MMO sites are barren for CF. Feel free to check forum activity.  Playing a "single-player crafting game" sounds right up your alley.

The game is in the pre-alpha testing phase, 70% of the player base is waiting for release, or new content to test.  Hell, I dropped money on the kick starter and didn't come back until about 2 weeks ago. 

What are you even?

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

I wasn’t aware CF was Shadowbane...my bad?

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

On 22. 8. 2018 at 10:11 PM, mandalore said:

I wasn’t aware CF was Shadowbane...my bad?

He never said CF has to be like Shadowbane, he is displeased with direction CF took. 

He is not entirely wrong, and definitely not alone. Already dropped my hopes for this game since I tend to heavily disagree with whole passive skill system (did not sign up for another EVE :ResidentSleeper: ) which is major turn off for me, and I don't think this is'nt going to change even if its pre alpha. Although I still keep an eye on this project, just to see how it's going to look in final state. Might be my fault for being over enthusiastic about whole game. Again, major changes are part of development, and it was gamble for me from the start, so I am not really salty about this.

Then on the other hand I don't really feel the urge to write another topic how I dislike X Y features in this game. Cheers for people who enjoy the game (or will in future).

Edited by greeper

No its obviously NOT shadowbane.  The numbers alone speak for themselves.  800k at release on a BROKEN game and this live pre-alpha is struggling to maintain 100 people  interested and playing during testing releases.

Look, i'm NOT slamming or wanting this game to fail.  The main following at shadowbane forums/emulators etc were HOPING this was going to at least somewhat follow the ideas OF shadowbane.

Unfortunately, at least for me and some folks it is a VERY different game.  I did kickstart for Shroud of the Avatar for the VERY same reason I did this launch.  I was HOPING Richard Garriott would follow his Ultima Online origins but alas, he tried something different.  Not my cup of tea (or alot of other players as well as the numbers speak for themselves)

So to everyone enjoying this game, I honestly wish it the best and hope it does an AMAZING job at what its aiming for.  Its just not what I was expecting.