Talizar

Hunger-What positive thing does this add?

What I am I missing here.  Why is this part of this game.  Are there not enough other things to worry about in the game.  This is not a survival game.  If you harvest apples are plentiful enough but what is the point?  Are you forcing me to buy apples or gather? 

What is so great about eating other than I have to heal? 

It is not something that will chase me away but why build a system into a game that really adds nothing?

How does this enhance game play? 

Guys get back to the KISS strategy of game design and life.  Keep things simple and fun and REWARDING!  You know why the old games were better?  They REWARDED you for playing.  We come here to have FUN first and be able to accomplish our own goal.   

This game is hardly a sandbox, we are being forced down very narrow paths.

At the very least, make food passively eaten if it is in your inventory...it's enough of a chore to acquire and keep in the inventory, but to have to click to eat feels bad man.

You are missing out on several key components of this system. They have not yet introduced the Farming crafting/gathering systems yet into the game. Its another component of the strategy sim. You'll need to ensure your troops are well fed and supplied to continue fighting. It also introduces a potential valuable target for small groups/single players to go out and try to sabotage an enemy farm. 

The point is, it adds depth and the very real aspect of needing a supply chain to succeed in this game.

Keep in mind, they are still testing the specific numbers. They could minimize the impact and need for food on easier campaign bands (faction campaigns) while increasing the need for it on harder ones (dregs). We only have one campaign type right now and only minimal sources for food, leading to this state.

47 minutes ago, Scree said:

You are missing out on several key components of this system. They have not yet introduced the Farming crafting/gathering systems yet into the game. Its another component of the strategy sim. You'll need to ensure your troops are well fed and supplied to continue fighting. It also introduces a potential valuable target for small groups/single players to go out and try to sabotage an enemy farm. 

The point is, it adds depth and the very real aspect of needing a supply chain to succeed in this game.

Keep in mind, they are still testing the specific numbers. They could minimize the impact and need for food on easier campaign bands (faction campaigns) while increasing the need for it on harder ones (dregs). We only have one campaign type right now and only minimal sources for food, leading to this state.

I am talking about the personal hunger issue where I have to buy potatoes or harvest stuff to get apples etc.  This has zero value to most players.

As for the RVR aspect that is completely different.  I believe that should be part of fight is supplying and maintaining the towns for their continued support and feeding the npc guards is important.

Me taking time to eat an apple is a waste.  CF is becoming EVE 2.0 and Dayz.  Surviving should be combat survival not being punished for an activity that is no where near what the core game is.

Hunger right now is a bit lame, and so is the current eating model, but...

The objective, that winter is only survivable for those that have prepared, and defended those preparations, so the only the strongest and best prepared survive till the end, is pretty much the point of dying worlds.

Title of the post-How does this make the game better? 

A post of what could be and statements that it was a part of the game.

I thought this was going to be a big RVR game.  Guess not.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Talizar said:

It adds a clear end to a campaign, as the hunger closes in.

It will add logistics, as players and teams try to find enough food to continue playing in a world.

It will add strategic tactics, as players find ways to hurt enemies indirectly by destroying or stealing reserves.

It will eventually add the same thing to this game as the towers do to League of Legends.  As things get further along, it gets harder and harder to not fall off the slippery slope and lose.

I have zero idea how your jumping to the conclusion that eating and needing for food detracts rather than adds to the RvR aspects of the game.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

1 hour ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

It adds a clear end to a campaign, as the hunger closes in.

It will add logistics, as players and teams try to find enough food to continue playing in a world.

It will add strategic tactics, as players find ways to hurt enemies indirectly by destroying or stealing reserves.

It will eventually add the same thing to this game as the towers do to League of Legends.  As things get further along, it gets harder and harder to not fall off the slippery slope and lose.

I have zero idea how your jumping to the conclusion that eating and needing for food detracts rather than adds to the RvR aspects of the game.

My post is about players eating, not feeding the peasants and keeping.  Having to eat apples all day long is not RVR.  If you make finding player food that hard, guess what?  People will just stop playing..............It is a game.....................  Burning farms or storage for the peasants is great. 

Does anyone like the toon eating mechanic?

Posted (edited)

I like the food eating concept, yes...   it adds lore, a player coin sink, a limiter on battle length which will only get more and more serious as the campaign goes on, leaving the prepared players in better shape to siege and take objectives I late game when poor planning or effort means you do 10 times to work to stay full power for long duration sieges.  You can buy potatoes as a placeholder in 5.7, you will need farmers to grow potatoes and store them in later added mechanics.

Edited by Frykka

9 hours ago, Talizar said:

My post is about players eating, not feeding the peasants and keeping.  Having to eat apples all day long is not RVR.  If you make finding player food that hard, guess what?  People will just stop playing..............It is a game.....................  Burning farms or storage for the peasants is great. 

Almost every MMO in the past 10 years has had some form of "Food/Eating", and I like the way Crowfall is making food an integral part of the game.  "Apples all day long"...  Do you think they're not going to introduce new recipes that heal 5 food at a time?  I don't think they're gonna stop at apples. 

I'm sorry if you don't understand the fineries of war, and can't grasp the fact that people who can't eat don't tend to live/fight very long.  When Winter hits and the amount of exports you have are on the line at the end of the campaign, it's anything goes.   If you can't fight the zerg, you can definitely hurt their food supply.  It's almost as if they thought of that. 

And it is a game, a strategy game.

11 minutes ago, Aperion said:

Almost every MMO in the past 10 years has had some form of "Food/Eating", and I like the way Crowfall is making food an integral part of the game.  "Apples all day long"...  Do you think they're not going to introduce new recipes that heal 5 food at a time?  I don't think they're gonna stop at apples. 

I'm sorry if you don't understand the fineries of war, and can't grasp the fact that people who can't eat don't tend to live/fight very long.  When Winter hits and the amount of exports you have are on the line at the end of the campaign, it's anything goes.   If you can't fight the zerg, you can definitely hurt their food supply.  It's almost as if they thought of that. 

And it is a game, a strategy game.

You didn't eat in BDO, Archeage, SWTOR or any game that can think of.  All these game have foods you can consume for buffs or healing.  That is very different than the mechanic we have now.

I find it crazy that people think it is actually ok that if food was so scarce that people would be unable to play their toon until spring arrived again.  Who is going to stick around for that?  How does that make good business sense?  You want people not playing.  Amazing!

4 minutes ago, Destrin said:

Food needs to become more scarce, and we should only have to eat like once every 3 hours IMO.

I would like to see them split the food meters into "meals" and "snacks". 

Meals would tick down on the day/night cycle, regardless of what your doing, and snacks would act like short term buffs.  Basically what we have now is what I would think of as snacks.  If you don't have at least 3 meals, (the meals ticker has a cap of 5 tickers)  you can't use snacks.

That would make the cooking more interesting.  Some foods are meals, (E.G brisket) and some foods are snacks (E.G. Apples) , and some can be both (E.G. Tartar).  The logistics would be partly in picking what type of food to cook when you can use the same ingredients for both, because one will get you through the hard winter, and one will get you through a hard fight.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Talizar said:

You didn't eat in BDO, Archeage, SWTOR or any game that can think of.  All these game have foods you can consume for buffs or healing.  That is very different than the mechanic we have now.

I find it crazy that people think it is actually ok that if food was so scarce that people would be unable to play their toon until spring arrived again.  Who is going to stick around for that?  How does that make good business sense?  You want people not playing.  Amazing!

Spring NEVER RETURNS.  The world's end after winter.  Have you even read the most basic FAQ's about this game?

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

When you can no longer stick it out in the campaign, there will always be others you can join.  As I understand it, if your side loses a campaign you will have reduced amount of exports at the end of the campaign. 

There will be multiple campaigns going at any given time with different difficulties and rule sets.  

From what I've seen, the HUNGER adds a second layer of harvesting, so that a harvester is vulnerable longer to clear an area before they can HARVEST. Essentially having to clear an area first which goes with the idea of controlling an area. 

+ : Hunger encourage more pvp focal points, you will have less solo harvesters running around in hidden areas on the edge of the maps.

- : Harvesting is already the biggest grind in the game, and this only adds to it.

OP is speaking more toward the need of having to physically eat food items, not so much the general idea of "The Hunger".

13 hours ago, Talizar said:

Yes, I like the concept of eating food/hunger as part of overall strategic supply & logistics in a Campaign World.

What I do not like about the current implementation, is that you often have to stop in the middle of a fight, open your inventory and click on some potatoes. :lol:

19 hours ago, Talizar said:

No, it will not be a RvR game. Faction warfare will just be a single type of gameplay that CF will provide, an in my opinion one of the least popular.