Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but how are you interpreting that I'm making it sound "worse" in Crowfall vs other games? It's a problem, period. It's an issue plaguing many MMORPG's today and it should be looked at very seriously. However, I think having different rule-sets can really skew populations. Obviously, you'll have a greater majority of players probably leaning towards to safer side (GvG or FvF) with less people to the FFA side. Not that it's an issue, but it should be dealt with that in mind. For example, FFA will probably only require ONE campaign at any time, whereas you may see a need for 2 GvG's at one time. The flexibility of their design may allow this but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be made known that it could be a problem.

Well honestly I was just kind of placating and playing devils advocate for what the other poster might have been inferring. I don't see the fragmenting as much of an issue. When populations fluctuate Devs will likely balance it out by merging or offering transfers. To use my own words, its never really been an issue before so why is it now in Crowfall. Given that the different "servers" are actually different Campaigns with different rulesets. Thats called giving players choices and preferences not fragmentation in a bad way.

Edited by pang
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't know how happy this makes me Mr. Walton! And I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Because winning isn't the ONLY way to progress. However, you can't say you don't care about winning in a game that's ALL ABOUT strategic conquest and resource gathering/control, and then say it's unfa

I think we need a surprise midday info drop to distract us from all the back and forth!

But then you made a post goading a response? Hurrrr...

Apparently not a good enough one since I still haven't gotten my reply. I was happy, assuming my post had wrapped up that particular discussion. Your response makes me think otherwise.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

At the start of a game, it's not a major concern. When the game and server are on life support? Sure.

Their system already inherently mitigates this issue better than most MMOs out there.

Because god forbid you think about the issue before that occurs, right? And to simply say it mitigates it better than other MMO's isn't true. Again, we don't know the complete details as to what results in a reset campaign. Depending on the length of the campaign, you can still have server stagnation and you can have population fragmentation in their design. It is a huge issue which ArtCraft should look at and no amount of blind, biased, useless brown-nosing is going to change that.

To simply throw your hands in the air and say, "yea, well, it's better than others" isn't helping, or fixing anything.

Well honestly I was just kind of placating and playing devils advocate for what the other poster might have been inferring. I don't see the fragmenting as much of an issue. When populations fluctuate Devs will likely balance it out by merging or offering transfers. To use my own words, its never really been an issue before so why is it now in Crowfall. Given that the different "servers" are actually different Campaigns with different rulesets. Thats called giving players choices and preferences not fragmentation in a bad way.

"Not fragmentation in a bad way" - sigh. Choice is great, yes. I agree. As I stated above, there can still be the same issues that plague other MMORPG's in Crowfall. It is not immune to this no matter how you see their design as an infallible, groundbreaking, best MMORPG ever concept. It can still suffer from issues. You can SEE those issues yourself, you're just wrapping it in a "yea, well, choice is great! It's not *bad* fragmentation." Which is down right ridiculous.

To simply throw your hands in the air and say, "yea, well, it's better than others" isn't helping, or fixing anything.

And freaking out without all the details is better? Give me a f*cking break.

This is probably an issue that affects PvP games more than traditional PvE games, so it's obviously something they've considered, and designed their system around trying to alleviate. However, there's way too many pieces to the puzzle that we're currently missing to know whether it's going to be a major issue or not.

You sound like a broken record: "This is an issue!" And you know what? No one really disagrees that it could potentially be an issue. Just because people are taking a 'wait and see' approach doesn't mean we're brown-nosing the developers - we just don't know enough to argue one way or another. But this chicken little shtick and constantly insulting and belittling everyone isn't really contributing anything to the conversation.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

"Not fragmentation in a bad way" - sigh. Choice is great, yes. I agree. As I stated above, there can still be the same issues that plague other MMORPG's in Crowfall. It is not immune to this no matter how you see their design as an infallible, groundbreaking, best MMORPG ever concept. It can still suffer from issues. You can SEE those issues yourself, you're just wrapping it in a "yea, well, choice is great! It's not *bad* fragmentation." Which is down right ridiculous.

Why do you think players that choose to play Faction vs Faction would actually play the game if the FFA Campaign was the only one available?  More forgiving rulesets are not going to fragment the population on the FFA Campaign because players that would play on the more forgiving rulesets wouldn't even consider playing the FFA Campaign to begin with.

Maybe we are overthinking this a little too much.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Well seems like you're just grasping at straws now as all you did here is put words in my mouth. Never ever said the game was perfect and infallible. See this is why people get combative with you, they simply disagree with a point and then you go all crusade mode and accusing everyone else of being blind. This is the Internet man, if you can't handle people having different opinions then maybe its time to unplug.

No instances usually means limited population per server, or horrible server lag during masspvp.

If you want no instances, then your server HW will cost a fortune, and that means you need revenue to pay for operation as well as development/support costs.

Please find a balance, and don't just cave to the ignorant masses with blanket statements such as "no instances". Qualify it further please.

If you want no instances, then your server HW will cost a fortune, and that means you need revenue to pay for operation as well as development/support costs.

Sorry, but where are you getting your information from for this?  High powered servers are not that expensive these days.  

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Sorry, but where are you getting your information from for this?  High powered servers are not that expensive these days.  

I'm blessed to work in the industry, and on telecommunications (OTT and mobile broadband). It's not about the cost of the server, its about the cost of maintain PCU to keep people happy. Servers (blades) are cheap. Adding NICs and SSD blow the cost up, then the network and remaining infrastructure to support an MMO with thousands of players in one instance is not. It's not just about adding a server and everything works. Far more complicated than that.

Yes, I work in the industry too and a NIC does not raise the price of servers that much.  Also, why would they use  SSDs for their servers, that's just a waste of money.  We also have to consider they are in Austin so there is this money saving thing coming their way!  

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Why do you think players that choose to play Faction vs Faction would actually play the game if the FFA Campaign was the only one available?  More forgiving rulesets are not going to fragment the population on the FFA Campaign because players that would play on the more forgiving rulesets wouldn't even consider playing the FFA Campaign to begin with.

There have been posts like this before and I agree. People are worried about population fragmentation and it is a valid concern but not as big as people are making it out to be. The Loot and PvP rule sets for Crowfall were deal breakers for many players and if their preference wasn't going to be represented than they weren't going to play. I would rather there be players who choose a different World than I do and pump money into the game than not play at all.