Sign in to follow this  
Angelmar

Character Diversity Numbers SB vs CF

With relaunch of Shadowbane Emu I was wondering how many Race/Base Class/Class Combos there were in Shadowbane vs Crowfall.  Just a fun bit of food for thought.

Shadowbane:

12 Races, 4 Base Classes, 22 Classes

172 Unique Race/Base Class/Class Combos Available.

Crowfall:

12 Races, 11 Classes

41 Unique Race/Class Combos Available

That being said if one race/class combo is better than the other, most people will just play that 1 class/race combo so diversity doesnt real exist dispite there may be a billion combinations. Lets take rangers for example in crowfall atm as it stands now they can be many races yet only 2 may be relevant and 2 may be pushing it. almost all rangers are Elken atm with the couple of exception who dont wanna play an animal race but still want to play ranger.

Of course this will all changed in crowfall perspective down the line one would think. the point is though haveing 1hundreds of combination in a game is kinda pointless if only a couple of relevant ones, its better to focus on a few than praying it works with alot :D

25 minutes ago, veeshan said:

That being said if one race/class combo is better than the other, most people will just play that 1 class/race combo so diversity doesnt real exist dispite there may be a billion combinations. Lets take rangers for example in crowfall atm as it stands now they can be many races yet only 2 may be relevant and 2 may be pushing it. almost all rangers are Elken atm with the couple of exception who dont wanna play an animal race but still want to play ranger.

Of course this will all changed in crowfall perspective down the line one would think. the point is though haveing 1hundreds of combination in a game is kinda pointless if only a couple of relevant ones, its better to focus on a few than praying it works with alot :D

well this exactly. 

Also this happened in Archage as well. Out the 120 combination I think only 10 to 20 were actually viable. Up to 30ish I think were doable but you wouldn't really benefit from choosing the last ones. (Btw. this goes to idk 2.whatever). With the introduction of hybrid weapons (matk + patk for example, or ranged + magicial or whatever) the game can have a higher number of viable combinations now. 

52 minutes ago, veeshan said:

I certainly think that is fair.  The most surprising in doing the math was Aelfborne with 27 and I have trouble thinking of any big standouts.... but there are so fun "candy" toon options.  Aelf Blademaster Warrior,  Aelf Blademaster Warlock,  some stance dance Crusaders.  (For any non-SB folks that read this Blademaster is actually a discipline, but its so significant it may be another class or mini-class)

Here is the breakdown for the curious

Aelfborn: 27
Aracoix: 12
Centaur: 10
Dwarf: 6
Elf:  23
HalfGiant:   7
Human:30
Irekei:17
Minotaur: 3
Nephilim: 16
Shade:12
Vampire: 9
-------
Total: 172

You could add disciplines to that list too.  Although most only added value instead of changing dynamics.

They rule set was key though - nearly every combination could have relevance in lore play. In addition, crowd think isn't always correct. I think a number of the guilds who played on lore showed just how powerful certain classes could be with races that would be considered "gimp" on other servers. Look at the Flight of the Furies video, for instance, or the Half Giant bow huntresses, or FTP's druids (which I believe were aelfborn).

Shadowbane was a masterpiece in character designing. 

I can't remember how much time i started a new character. That was so fun.

On 9/8/2018 at 10:02 PM, vandarr said:

They rule set was key though - nearly every combination could have relevance in lore play. In addition, crowd think isn't always correct. I think a number of the guilds who played on lore showed just how powerful certain classes could be with races that would be considered "gimp" on other servers. Look at the Flight of the Furies video, for instance, or the Half Giant bow huntresses, or FTP's druids (which I believe were aelfborn).

It further cemented some of the RTS aspects of the game when the available Races and Classes were organized into "factions" or "army lists". Each Lore Charter had a unique character to it, along with it's inherent strengths and weaknesses. I'd like to see a recurring Lore campaign for Crowfall which mirrors the Vindication ruleset from SB. Not a faction based server, but a FFA/Dregs server where guilds must pick from available faction types when pledging to the Campaign.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:12 AM, soulein said:

It further cemented some of the RTS aspects of the game when the available Races and Classes were organized into "factions" or "army lists". Each Lore Charter had a unique character to it, along with it's inherent strengths and weaknesses. I'd like to see a recurring Lore campaign for Crowfall which mirrors the Vindication ruleset from SB. Not a faction based server, but a FFA/Dregs server where guilds must pick from available faction types when pledging to the Campaign.

Amen! It was fascinating to see how your enemies would counter their charter's inherent weaknesses - do you just over exaggerate their strengths, or do you try and brainstorm a character to cover the gap?

1. Richness & deepness of Shadowbane was impressive (sb > crowfall). Base classes, runes...

https://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

2. Character creation allows to use unique traits and more customization options. (sb > crowfall)

3. STANCES !!! with unique base class behaviors (sb > crowfall)

https://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php?title=Stances

4. Crafting was painfull and poor on sb (crowfall > sb).

5. Exclusive and full liberty on character building. You could make huge mistakes on char building in sb. that was fun. Crowfall seems more a wait and click to unlock all features. At the end, with all trained, all builds will be same on the training side. (sb > crowfall)

6. The track system was fantastic on sb. On crowfall, solo ressources crafter have poor chances against hidden assassins. No way to use long range track on crowfall (sb > crowfall).

https://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php?title=Tracking

7. Environnement depth, Ek. Rangers camp, castle, crowfall is better on this side (crowfall > sb).