Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pann

Angry Bees - Official discussion thread

17 hours ago, Pann said:

Say hello to Sound Designer Bobby Moen (aka @BobbyM)! 

FULL STORY

first:

maxresdefault.jpg

second:

link here fails

https://crowfall.com/en/news/angry-bees-and-leather-sleeves

should be

https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/angry-bees-and-leather-sleeves/

p.s. always fun to 'hear' behind the scenes.

favorities: 

- Doctor Who's TARDIS = house keys scraping against piano wire

- Overwatch's "hit mark" sound = a beer bottle opening 

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

34 minutes ago, yianni said:

Are there new druid sounds coming as well?

I took a pass at the Druid a while back.  If you have any feedback feel free to share.

23 minutes ago, Zatch said:

@BobbyM Whats your favorite sound you've done so far, and what do ability/thing in game do you look forward to doing sound for the most. 

My favorite might be the Hunger nodes - the evil crystal things scattered around the world that freeze the area around them.  It was fun trying to make them sound otherworldly and imposing.  There are some subtle things, like how I have the ambient nature sounds to fade out when you're close to one, and also one of the engineers helped make sure the heartbeat sound was synced up with the pulsing visual effects.

I am looking forward to working on the castle destruction and siege weapons!  They'll be big fun sounds but also they might present some unique opportunities.  Like, it might be cool to make appropriate distant-sounding versions of some of those sounds so you could be relatively far away but still get the feeling that something big was going down over there and you should probably head that direction and help out.

1 hour ago, BobbyM said:

Hello!  My first post.  I'm here - happy to discuss things

Overwatch!  yes, that "hit mark" sound is so satisfying and cuts through the sound mix nicely.

yea their use of sound is on point, clear indications of what is going on in a fight and changes based on whether an ally or enemy uses it [e.g. "enemy ultimates" are often the voice lines in the native language of that character, while allies play a different line in 'english' or just generally differ etc]

10 minutes ago, BobbyM said:

My favorite might be the Hunger nodes - the evil crystal things scattered around the world that freeze the area around them.  It was fun trying to make them sound otherworldly and imposing.  There are some subtle things, like how I have the ambient nature sounds to fade out when you're close to one, and also one of the engineers helped make sure the heartbeat sound was synced up with the pulsing visual effects.

yup those are good :)

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

45 minutes ago, BobbyM said:

I took a pass at the Druid a while back.  If you have any feedback feel free to share.

Don't tell me you were the inventor of LASER DRUID!!

Love those Ranger sounds though! :)

2 hours ago, BobbyM said:

haha yes :)

Those laser-druid days were... interesting :lol: I think it all ended up in a good spot though, and it's apparent that you're passionate about your work - thank you, and I look forward to hearing more sound updates!

:^)

It is interesting to me that he is making his own sounds.  I would have thought that millions or zillions of sounds would be available already in the market place.  Who would have thought dragging a bag on the floor would be wind........  Interesting article.

@BobbyM I would love to hear a distinct noise at the moment when we transition from day to night. Reason being is an indicator we’re about to hit, and then have hit the moment that creatures should be changing from normal to hunger versions and back again would be pretty cool.

Currently you can kind of tell the sun is going down, and you can almost tell when to expect creature changes, but often times it just feels somewhat misaligned and spontaneous.

i too love the random creature noises, although I wish they were louder and more defined the closer you were to an actual creature in the wilderness. I dig the hunger shard noises as well as enjoyed the video of the creative ways you’ve recorded sounds so far. Great work.

just a thought, for all I know the above is already on your roadmap.

-Zen

On 8/30/2018 at 3:07 PM, KDSProm said:

Love your work!

+1

thanks!

On 8/31/2018 at 12:20 PM, Talizar said:

It is interesting to me that he is making his own sounds.  I would have thought that millions or zillions of sounds would be available already in the market place.  Who would have thought dragging a bag on the floor would be wind........  Interesting article.

You're right - there's a lot out there already.  While I usually wind up recording something for each thing I work on, most of my sound sources do come from sound libraries (such as those from "Hiss and a Roar" or "The Recordist", for example).  But it's still just elements (a whoosh, an impact, a fire element, a low hit) all put together.  Rarely is there a single sound in a library (like fireball_attack_01) that magically works perfectly in the context of the game I'm working on - editing and layering are always needed to get it right.  Sound libraries just save me the time of recording the elements myself.  And in some cases I need things I simply wouldn't record myself, like exotic animals, big drums, trees falling, explosions, etc.

Yeah, dragging a bag for wind is a funny thing - the idea is it's an easy way to get a generic noisy wind sound that could be used in any context and looped endlessly.  Whereas if you recorded "real wind" you might actually be recording materials being moved by the wind, like fabric flapping or leaves rustling or sand/debris blowing past.  Those things are cool, they just could only be used for specific settings.

18 hours ago, Zenatos said:

@BobbyM I would love to hear a distinct noise at the moment when we transition from day to night. Reason being is an indicator we’re about to hit, and then have hit the moment that creatures should be changing from normal to hunger versions and back again would be pretty cool.

Currently you can kind of tell the sun is going down, and you can almost tell when to expect creature changes, but often times it just feels somewhat misaligned and spontaneous.

i too love the random creature noises, although I wish they were louder and more defined the closer you were to an actual creature in the wilderness. I dig the hunger shard noises as well as enjoyed the video of the creative ways you’ve recorded sounds so far. Great work.

just a thought, for all I know the above is already on your roadmap.

-Zen

That is a very interesting idea with having a day->night transition sound, thanks for sharing it!   I'll talk about it with the team.

I'm glad you dig the random creature noises - I also wish they changed when you got closer.  Ultimately I would like to accomplish this by adding vocalizations to the creatures' fidget animations, which are the short animations that occasionally play while they are patrolling around.  Then you would hear the vague distant sounds from far away, the close-up fidget sounds as you get closer (which would match the animations), and then you'd start fighting them and hear their fighting vocalizations.  However I can, I would like to support the immersion without getting too repetitive/annoying.  Thanks again for sharing

On 8/30/2018 at 1:40 PM, BobbyM said:

I am looking forward to working on the castle destruction and siege weapons!  They'll be big fun sounds but also they might present some unique opportunities.  Like, it might be cool to make appropriate distant-sounding versions of some of those sounds so you could be relatively far away but still get the feeling that something big was going down over there and you should probably head that direction and help out.

the only thing is the LMB gets little annoying especially as a sickle druid

4 hours ago, yianni said:

the only thing is the LMB gets little annoying especially as a sickle druid

ok yeah that thing gets used a lot, I'll look at it, thanks

14 hours ago, BobbyM said:

That is a very interesting idea with having a day->night transition sound, thanks for sharing it!   I'll talk about it with the team.

I'm glad you dig the random creature noises - I also wish they changed when you got closer.  Ultimately I would like to accomplish this by adding vocalizations to the creatures' fidget animations, which are the short animations that occasionally play while they are patrolling around.  Then you would hear the vague distant sounds from far away, the close-up fidget sounds as you get closer (which would match the animations), and then you'd start fighting them and hear their fighting vocalizations.  However I can, I would like to support the immersion without getting too repetitive/annoying.  Thanks again for sharing

Thanks for the reply. This is the part I love most about playing and testing games in development. I am happy to offer thoughts and thrilled that they could be considered. Thanks for the reply, I’m sure no matter what decision you guys make it will be for the best possible outcome for the game.

Thanks again,

-Zen