Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureVenom

Harvesting/crafting togenerate exp at some point?

Recommended Posts

Good morning everyone,

I was just wondering if it has been mentioned if harvesting/crafting will generate experience at some point. I find it quite odd that there is no added benefot to crfafting at this time being the amount of time that it can take to harvest and craft one item.

 

Sorry if this was asked/answered but I can't seem to find anything related to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A separate harvesting leveling system doesnt sound bad. Give harvesters something to work toward. I'm not saying scrap the time training system, but just an additive to harvesting stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hunt said:

A separate harvesting leveling system doesnt sound bad. Give harvesters something to work toward. I'm not saying scrap the time training system, but just an additive to harvesting stats.

In addition to passive skills you have gear stats the increase your yield over time and the in game leveling does affect both crafting and harvesting through the stats you gain...   making an active skill gain in game does sound bad because it  just becomes another grind we would need to do...   it is the whole reason behind the passive system...   you get what you can get when you can get it, the same as combat power.  Gear is the "decider" to borrow from GW.


6FUI4Mk.jpg

                                                        Sugoi - Senpai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Frykka said:

In addition to passive skills you have gear stats the increase your yield over time and the in game leveling does affect both crafting and harvesting through the stats you gain...   making an active skill gain in game does sound bad because it  just becomes another grind we would need to do...   it is the whole reason behind the passive system...   you get what you can get when you can get it, the same as combat power.  Gear is the "decider" to borrow from GW.

This.

There is also already an active way to level from harvesting.  Convert your mats into sacrifice XP to level your vessel. 

Basic stuff can be sacked to level 10,

A suit of white leather armor sacks for 1.3k - 2.3k  XP up to level 20. 

The green stuff sacks past 20 

Flawed experiments sack for the same rate as high quality up to level 10.  Critical failure experimentation still maintains the color quality and can be sacked the same as successes. 

So there is already a progression/xp system in place for everyone to make some gains actively.  Just not to the passive system, which is how it should be.

 

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think the OP’s question was answered. I understand the current design of crafting and harvesting, the combination of passive skills gained with vessel stats generating greater success for crafting and harvesting. 

I believe his question is why not allow the act of harvesting or crafting also net your current vessel experience instead of having to just grind monsters or sacrifice gold/items/crafted gear etc.

Having used the make 1 million arrows of different quality levels to reach level 20, I’m not sure that was quite as rewarding or felt as fun as it would have been to simply gain experience while crafting/harvesting actively in the world. I think it would help with immersion, doesn’t have to be high xp gains either. Maybe 1xp for swinging at a node, and 2 xp for hitting a critical. Or maybe 100xp for each node destroyed? Same for crafting maybe each item successfully crafted with a successful roll and above gives you increasingly more xp? 

In the end, why shouldn’t swinging your hammer, and practicing your craft increase your ability to build up your vessels base stats directly, rather than through ‘sacrifice?’

only reason I could think of is the economy of having to lose items to gain xp faster, and I don’t think that’s a compelling enough reason to do it this way versus that. It’s probably just a design decision, and honestly I hope it changes.

Thanks for reading,

-Zen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Zenatos said:

I don’t think the OP’s question was answered. I understand the current design of crafting and harvesting, the combination of passive skills gained with vessel stats generating greater success for crafting and harvesting. 

I believe his question is why not allow the act of harvesting or crafting also net your current vessel experience instead of having to just grind monsters or sacrifice gold/items/crafted gear etc.

Having used the make 1 million arrows of different quality levels to reach level 20, I’m not sure that was quite as rewarding or felt as fun as it would have been to simply gain experience while crafting/harvesting actively in the world. I think it would help with immersion, doesn’t have to be high xp gains either. Maybe 1xp for swinging at a node, and 2 xp for hitting a critical. Or maybe 100xp for each node destroyed? Same for crafting maybe each item successfully crafted with a successful roll and above gives you increasingly more xp? 

In the end, why shouldn’t swinging your hammer, and practicing your craft increase your ability to build up your vessels base stats directly, rather than through ‘sacrifice?’

only reason I could think of is the economy of having to lose items to gain xp faster, and I don’t think that’s a compelling enough reason to do it this way versus that. It’s probably just a design decision, and honestly I hope it changes.

Thanks for reading,

-Zen

That is pretty much the opposite of the goal of passive training as set out from the beginning.

The goal being, people who only have an hour or so a week to play, will progress on the skill tree at the same rate as those that play 20+hours.

The other forms of progress, like getting resources and vessel leveling is the progress for active players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you misunderstand my point. I am not advocating to change the passive training system at the moment I’ll wait to see how ACE iterates and improves on it. I am however advocating that doing tasks like crafting and harvesting (active play as you put it) should assist you in leveling your vessel. I believe you may be confusing experience points with skill points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zenatos said:

only reason I could think of is the economy

Yes, the sacrifice leveling is an economic sink -  it's equivalent to getting active XP for crafting 1000 arrows and then destroying them because they are worthless (everyone else is making 1000 arrows).

However, the Divine Sacrifice system also has potential for other uses in longer-term game design. Like maybe you sacrifice those 1000 arrows and get a temporary favor buff from a god that increases your crafting experimentation success. So much more they can do with sacrifice than a simple grind=XP system for vessel leveling.

For the skill training tree, that's a passive system only currently. IDK if they will add any active component to that.


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the input/clarification on the process. I was thinking in terms of the grind to gather materials to craft items nit having any benefit to the leveling process. It takes time to gather the materials to craft and this is time that could be spent hunting/killing mobs which in turn does give you experience. I will have to look into the sacrifice system as I may not understand this in the way it should be understood.

 

Regards,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PureVenom said:

time that could be spent hunting/killing mobs

Currently most people craft basic arrows and sacrifice to get to vessel level 10 because it's faster than killing mobs for active XP. After level 10, basic items and killing mobs doesn't give XP anymore so at that point you have to either sacrifice gold coins, higher quality resources, or higher quality crafted items. Balance is ongoing of course (pre-alpha) so that may change in the future.


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...