ACE_Jackal

ACE Q&A for September - Official Discussion Thread

A couple thoughts I was left with after watching:

• Keep sieges being relegated to their own zones are fine for the bands with predetermined factions (because we were never going to determine their locations and designs anyway) but for The Dregs this doesn't seem to bode well. I hope we still get to build keeps at will when we're in a FFA campaign.
  • The guards in forts and keeps need to have their ranges shortened just like the outpost guards @thomasblair! Otherwise the best strat after capturing a fort/keep is to leave the walls in a ruined state so the guards attack your enemies far outside the walls.

Thanks for your time fellas. @jtoddcoleman

auto text

p.s. druid basic attack(s) costs resource too ;p

@jtoddcoleman on race flavour/balance - half-elf still has no "spice"

previous suggestions of:

• 'old ranger spinstep dodge with a short movement speed buff for a few seconds after a dodge'

and/or

• 'dual wield: can equip +1 weapon discipline'

still stand to give it a dash of flavour / interesting duality.

Edited by Tinnis

Thanks for the Q&A. I especially liked the toast message section. I think having global keep siege announcements, zone wide fort announcements, and more localized camp/tower announcement sounds like a great way to do it. 

P.S. Beer Toasts > Bread Toasts. 

I think the camps/tower are a great addition to foster some small scale pvp, the problem is there are so damn many of them. I worry that by the time you see the alert message and find the one being claimed, the person to did the claiming has already moved on to claim the next one. The map fog is important for resources and whatnot, but I think the map should show all the keeps, forts, towers, camps. It should show their rank, who owns them, and highlight them in red or something if they are under attack.

20 minutes ago, Glory said:

I think the camps/tower are a great addition to foster some small scale pvp, the problem is there are so damn many of them. I worry that by the time you see the alert message and find the one being claimed, the person to did the claiming has already moved on to claim the next one. The map fog is important for resources and whatnot, but I think the map should show all the keeps, forts, towers, camps. It should show their rank, who owns them, and highlight them in red or something if they are under attack.

I still think they should buff range of the towers to 60m or so and greatly reduce the amount of towers there are.

Currently they dont have much worth imo maybe that will change when they actually accumulate points i guess for the campaign.

Tbh i would like to see towers and camp get linked to a territory system that allows u to capture points x distance around them and towers that arnt close enough to one of your towers cant be captured, this would create a conflict line where you know most of the fighting will take place and a way to effectivly give you time to muster up forces to defend the front/keeps instead of having them flip in like 5 minutes of being attacked without any warning or any possibly way to get 5+ people to defend them in time.

Edited by veeshan

So @jtoddcoleman@thomasblair, I was left a bit confused by this Q & A when it comes to Outpost guards and ranges. The quick fix to outpost guard ranges that changed their aggro and attack ranges from 100m to 15m and 80m respectively was recognized by the devs as being problematic and needing a fix, and it was even stated in the livestream from GamesCon that happened before the last 5.7 patch that the fix would be put in when that next update went live, that being the last one which has already been applied:

unknown.png?width=1440&height=403

There was however no stated fix to the Outpost Guards. Their aggro range is still 15m, which is laughably ineffective. 80 was certainly too long, but 15m is simply of zero use if guards are intended to well, guard anyone standing near them. Problems with 15m, in part, are:

• A druid can stand at 30m, place orbs at the feet of both campfire guards, and bomb them without taking any damage or drawing aggro
  • A hostile ranged player which uses single-target attacks can hit a player target standing right next to an Outpost guard and the guard will do nothing - so a Confessor, Cleric or Druid, or a Ranger, Duelist etc, can fire all day at a target standing at an Outpost and not face any guard fire
  • Players running to an Outpost who are being chased by enemy players have to get with 15m of the Outpost before the guards will support them with outgoing fire. Example of this here:

100m was too long and everyone agrees that was the case, but 15m simply does not work, and it seemed like ACE agreed and had a fix ready, but for whatever reason it wasn't in the update as was indicated it would be. Did I misunderstand, or was there a change of idea about what to do with these ranges? Am confused.

You know when I saw the range was changed to 15m, I seriously thought it was entirely possible this was an error, and that a new range of 50m - half the original 100 and just a bit longer than everything but Ranger's range, was what someone told the coder making the change, but that perhaps they did so verbally - they said 50, and the person changing the variable heard 15 lol...anyway, I can't imagine changing 15 to 40 or 50 would be that hard to do, hopefully it makes it into an update before the next campaign starts, cause this 15m stuff is embarrassingly useless, and as Monty Python would say, silly. Except not in a good way. :)

Other than that, good stuff, can't wait for 5.8!

Outposts should become upgradeable POIs, where factions can invest materials to make them bigger and better. That would make them more valuble and drive more activity there.

When can we expect some optimization for the game? Got it a while ago but I had a lot of trouble running it above 20 fps, even with a pretty decent machine. Is the optimization being postponed more towards launch date?

Edited by Oldfromage

11 hours ago, Oldfromage said:

When can we expect some optimization for the game? Got it a while ago but I had a lot of trouble running it above 20 fps, even with a pretty decent machine. Is the optimization being postponed more towards launch date?

To be fair, this game runs very well for any mmo in beta. Sadly, if you are not hitting 20fps now you wont magically hit 60fps after release, expect to stay around 20fps. just saying.

3 hours ago, mystafyi said:

To be fair, this game runs very well for any mmo in beta. Sadly, if you are not hitting 20fps now you wont magically hit 60fps after release, expect to stay around 20fps. just saying.

No,that's super wrong. Last patch i would have <1 FPS in anything more than 1v1 ,now i get constant 30 and optimization is still not their main focus.

2 hours ago, pamintandrei said:

Last patch i would have <1 FPS in anything more than 1v1 ,now i get constant 30

I am so sorry. 1fps I just cant imagine....

The game does currently run very well and from playing a lot of alpha's/beta's and seeing the state of this game I will still stand by my statement.

Edited by mystafyi

10 hours ago, mystafyi said:

I am so sorry. 1fps I just cant imagine....

The game does currently run very well and from playing a lot of alpha's/beta's and seeing the state of this game I will still stand by my statement.

It runs acceptable, but its far from finished.

In regards to suggestions for "juicing up the Campfires/Towers"

Make them respawn points.

shortening corpse runs and allowing control of the zone more easily. That is what it needs to be.