Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pann

Crowfall curious? Get answers here

Big Crowfall caw-out to @Rauthr for this great contribution on the Crowfall Reddit! Thanks for taking the time to create such an in-depth, comprehensive answer resource for some of the most commonly asked questions about the game. We really appreciate the time you spent putting this together! 

You can view the original post here

Do we have to be the same race to play together since the start?

You can be any race, any class. What determines if you can play with your friends, is if you join the same faction for a campaign or not.

Is the game full loot? Do you lose your set when you die to another players?

Different Campaign types, will have different rules. Some may be full loot, others may have a timer for you to return to your body before others can loot, and yet others may have only a random item or two drop. Campaigns will last for limited times, and is the source of more rare materials/rewards. The winning faction will get to keep more/better rewards from the campaign than other (also depending on how much you contributed), and then the new campaigns might have a new ruleset on the world.

Is the game more focused on PvE or PvP?

As far as I can tell, there isn't so much a "PvE" in the usual sense. Right now it is PvP focused in terms of your activities. But you will have to kill some animals, either to skin them, or to get to materials they are guarding. In a recent email that crowfall sent out, it talked about how they are still working on the "moment to moment" game loop (the one that keeps you on from one 10-20 minute session, to the next)

How does the grind in Crowfall work? Do you have to grind levels, items, etc..?

You will get the majority of your stats from the gear you equip. BUT if you do level up, you will get a few (3) extra stat points to spend how you like. You will find that you can more quickly earn exp through crafting, and sacrificing items, than you might notice from going out and just killing mobs. Crafting will require more and more items, the more complex the recipe is. And with experimentation points, you will be getting different results with each craft. The "Ideal" crafting would be that you keep crafting until you get a set of experimentation procs that you would then "blueprint" (allowing you to replicate that EXACT craft again in the future)

Is there a competitive scene?

Most players that have access to the game, are avoiding the "burnout" since the game is more game-assets than it is a "game." Yes you can play the characters, Yes you can enjoy yourself, but it's not (yet) something that you will want to log in each/all day for. Currently the focus of the campaigns will be holding forts. and the only way to control a fort is to fight off everyone inside. Similarly, if there is a small region with high quality resources, you'll need some bodyguards to help protect you/others while they are collected.

Are there factions? Can players from different factions play in the same guild?

You can join guilds (see through the Crowfall website), and there are 3 factions to choose from. It would seem that even if you are in a guild, that does not mean that you HAVE to join the same faction as them. I'm not sure how this would work, as I have not fully tested/experienced this aspect.

How is the population of the game?

The population is currently quite low. You may encounter a group of 5-10 from time to time if you stay on during popular play hours, and near points of interest. Normally however, most people seem to be playing right now, just to get a feel for which classes and professions, etc, that they enjoy the most.

How does disciplines work? Is it like Archeage where you can kind of mix multiple classes together?

I have not played Archeage, so I can't give you a "yes" or "no" about that. BUT Each character gets 2 "Major" disciplines. These major ones will generally offer 1-2 abilities and a passive. You will then be able to choose a "Weapon Mastery" which will provide you with another 1-2 abilities, and lastly are 3 "Minor" disciplines. These can be used to further alter your character's strengths and weaknesses, either in mobility, combat, or even harvesting.

My suggestion:

If you think you will be interested in the concept of the game, go ahead and pick it up.

Skills train off of Real Time, and are permanent to your "Crow" which then carries these bonuses into ALL characters that you make.

By starting sooner than later, you can at least start training some skill trees to see if A, that's a tree you want to focus on come launch, or B just to see what other people may be getting as options in a tree you may never touch once playing for real.

I get the impression that this is the main reason a lot of people are playing while it is still in such an "alpha" state. So that when the more polished gameplay elements are live, they will be able to see how strong certain classes/builds can be once fully trained; or, like I mentioned, if they are even worth the time/trouble.

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

7 hours ago, Vaud said:

Is there really not going to be any notable PVE content in this game?

This is a PvP game and has been billed as such since day 1. There are some PvE elements, but nothing close to what you'd expect from an actual PvE game. The PvE stuff is just there to enhance the PvP experience, like harvesting, crafting and mobs. If you are looking for quests and dungeons/raids, this isn't the game for you.

Dang. I just recently learned of this game. Have been looking for a good mmo with some decent pve, this looked pretty cool but I'm just not the kind of person who's pvp centered. Thanks for the reply.

When buying the starter pack it says access to beta 3 test group, then there's the beta 1 test group and finally the alpha 2 test group. So I wanted to ask if I buy the 1st starter pack that has access to the beta 3 test group would that mean that once that test group is done I can't play anymore because it's in another test group or phase? I wanted some clarification on that

Edited by DaddySanta

4 hours ago, DaddySanta said:

would that mean that once that test group is done I can't play anymore because it's in another test group or phase?

If you buy any of the starter packs (including the basic $50 one), you get full access to the LIVE 24/7 testing server for all remaining test phases and a copy of the game for launch.

tiPrpwh.png

I bought the $50 pack for the beta 3 game play.  But it also said play now alpha.  I received my rewards for download but patch live just goes to my hard drive and nothing else no download no update.  Can someone tell me whats up.  Its late and probably not seeing something.  Tks

1 hour ago, NoLuck said:

Can someone tell me whats up

When you click the "Download Live Patcher" button on the download page https://crowfall.com/en-US/account/download-client it should download a program to install the CF  LIVE Launcher. If that is not working for you, send an email to support@crowfall.com so they can help troubleshoot your issue.

Everyone that purchases the $50 pack has access to playtest on the Early Access Live Environment.

tiPrpwh.png