Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bosshogge

What is the purpose of an EK?

Recommended Posts

What is the purpose of an EK? I understand that you can make it neat looking and build it up from scratch but why? If things that can be brought into campaign worlds is limited why spend the time building up a EK. The only answer to this that I had seen is to make market place and such, but even that is confusing. If you can't take everything into a campaign world then why sell things in a EK and if you can't buy or sell things then there is very little value to money. I am having difficulty understanding the purpose of an EK other than a cool hub for you and your guild/friends.

 

Someone please clarify this for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bosshogge said:

cool hub for you and your guild/friends

This is a main reason, housing is fun for alot of people especially when you can build something together with friends. Since the Campaign Worlds are not permanent, it's cool to have a persistent space that your guild/alliance/faction can use as a "home base" between campaigns. Many MMOs have housing that has no purpose other than social, decorating or crafting (like ESO).

EKs are a good place for practice dueling, or hosted pvp tournaments. Some Campaigns will allow more import than others, so EK markets will be more important for those rulesets with "high import". If you aren't interested at all in EKs, you could play on "no import" Campaigns. The systems for import/export are still a work in progress, so we'll need to give feedback as it evolves in testing.

 


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, miraluna said:

This is a main reason, housing is fun for alot of people especially when you can build something together with friends. Since the Campaign Worlds are not permanent, it's cool to have a persistent space that your guild/alliance/faction can use as a "home base" between campaigns. Many MMOs have housing that has no purpose other than social, decorating or crafting (like ESO).

EKs are a good place for practice dueling, or hosted pvp tournaments. Some Campaigns will allow more import than others, so EK markets will be more important for those rulesets with "high import". If you aren't interested at all in EKs, you could play on "no import" Campaigns. The systems for import/export are still a work in progress, so we'll need to give feedback as it evolves in testing.

 

I appreciate the feedback! It's not that I am uninterested in EKs its just they don't seem to have much of a point, like the points I brought up are still valid. I took some more time to think about it since yesterday and I found a loop for me and my guild that will work to make having a EK work. Ultimately I still think their is a lack of information though on what can and can't be taken into a campaign.

I saw other peoples posts about having a similar concern to mine and a fellow insinuated that he took his legendary weapon into a campaign. Just needs to be more information around this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums.

There are (in my opinion) basically two major answers to your question. Opportunity and long-term goal.

Long-Term Goal

In their very first public video (5:18) ACE already declared that the campaign worlds would be like a soccer match, while the eternal kingdoms would be like the season. Interpreting this as i understood it back in the days (and, after more than three years, still do), the CW's are where you fight. This is the REAL game. This is where you win and loose (directly). In the end your success in those matches may result in various outcomes. Maybe you are known to be the most brutal, most efficient, most whatever player/guild. But if you (want to/need to/whish to) go a certain path of success,  you may be the one who was able to build the biggest stadium of the world ... or better, of all worlds. The world-famous Bosshogge-Arena for example. ;) So, it can be a goal. But of course it doesnt have to. Which leads to the next major point.

Opportunity

A lot in Crowfall is about providing opportunities. And a lot of people tend to not understand that. They ask "what is this for", "what is that for" ... and the answer is: "For nothing ... if you don't want to - or for everything ... if you want to. It is provided to you to provide opportunities if you would like to utilize then. And if not, no problem, you don't have to. Remember? That's what's called an opportunity."

No player will need to use any EK at all. You can play completely and exclusively in the CW's. The Embargo system will allow you to carry over your earnings directly into the next campaign world without ever entering an EK. On the other hand, if you are are specific type of dedicated crafter/trader/manager, you may never need to enter a CW at all. It's just about your decision ... and how good you are in what you do. (Though, of course it will be much harder to play solely in EK's than in CW's because ... CW's and PvP is the very base of this game, righ'? ;) )

So, regarding this point, EK's are especially, but not exlusively an opportunity povided to players who like or even focus on socializing, building (campaign-independent) markets ... or just like to use the biggest housing area of all MMO's for their guild or themselves.

 

So, in the end it is not about concerns. It is about opportunities and long-term goals. If it fits your needs, there you go. And if it don't, no problem all. It's just about what you like most.

So, have fun ... and good luck ;)

Kraahk

 

 


2W1ZHpA.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you are alone with this question. Early on, Devs stated that EKs were essentially optional. Since then, they have become slightly more mandatory (going to some, not running one), because that is where people are doing their selling. I expect their importance to diminish in CWs where we can free-build and place vendors and buildings. The EK-CW loop is defensible in theory, but putting it into practice will be very difficult. I suspect the most competitive guilds will put all their resources into CWs, to win and have bragging rights, and have one EK that is as efficiently organized as possible.

A lot depends on how the Embargo/Spirit banking system works at launch.


Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,


Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 3:40 AM, Bosshogge said:

What is the purpose of an EK? I understand that you can make it neat looking and build it up from scratch but why? If things that can be brought into campaign worlds is limited why spend the time building up a EK. The only answer to this that I had seen is to make market place and such, but even that is confusing. If you can't take everything into a campaign world then why sell things in a EK and if you can't buy or sell things then there is very little value to money. I am having difficulty understanding the purpose of an EK other than a cool hub for you and your guild/friends.

 

Someone please clarify this for me.

This thread here has some fantastic ideas on how to make EKs matter more while building a deeper and richer relationship with the CWs. It has great game loop ideas!

Edited by Keaggan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 9:25 AM, Kraahk said:

Welcome to the forums.

There are (in my opinion) basically two major answers to your question. Opportunity and long-term goal.

Long-Term Goal

In their very first public video (5:18) ACE already declared that the campaign worlds would be like a soccer match, while the eternal kingdoms would be like the season. Interpreting this as i understood it back in the days (and, after more than three years, still do), the CW's are where you fight. This is the REAL game. This is where you win and loose (directly). In the end your success in those matches may result in various outcomes. Maybe you are known to be the most brutal, most efficient, most whatever player/guild. But if you (want to/need to/whish to) go a certain path of success,  you may be the one who was able to build the biggest stadium of the world ... or better, of all worlds. The world-famous Bosshogge-Arena for example. ;) So, it can be a goal. But of course it doesnt have to. Which leads to the next major point.

Opportunity

A lot in Crowfall is about providing opportunities. And a lot of people tend to not understand that. They ask "what is this for", "what is that for" ... and the answer is: "For nothing ... if you don't want to - or for everything ... if you want to. It is provided to you to provide opportunities if you would like to utilize then. And if not, no problem, you don't have to. Remember? That's what's called an opportunity."

No player will need to use any EK at all. You can play completely and exclusively in the CW's. The Embargo system will allow you to carry over your earnings directly into the next campaign world without ever entering an EK. On the other hand, if you are are specific type of dedicated crafter/trader/manager, you may never need to enter a CW at all. It's just about your decision ... and how good you are in what you do. (Though, of course it will be much harder to play solely in EK's than in CW's because ... CW's and PvP is the very base of this game, righ'? ;) )

So, regarding this point, EK's are especially, but not exlusively an opportunity povided to players who like or even focus on socializing, building (campaign-independent) markets ... or just like to use the biggest housing area of all MMO's for their guild or themselves.

 

So, in the end it is not about concerns. It is about opportunities and long-term goals. If it fits your needs, there you go. And if it don't, no problem all. It's just about what you like most.

So, have fun ... and good luck ;)

Kraahk

 

 

To be honest I don't find this  line of reasoning very convincing. I understand that it can be viewed as component of the game that does HAVE to be utilized such as arena in WOW. But I guess where I get lost in this is if the CW is the "match" and the EK is the "season" then the matches should have some bearing on the season right? I mean the team which has the best season "wins" the season. From this line of thinking it makes sense to me that as a player/guild compete and preform well within the CW's there should be a carry over into the EK such as rare EK stuff or something.

 

If this is a PvP centered game then the EK's should be involved in this as well. Why have the coolest castle if you cant see it in action? I seems to make sense that as you upgrade your EK you can have your EK be "assault-able" and make the EK's a more involved part of the whole PvP system. By doing this there would be more drive to not only do well in the "matches", but be able to have the "season" mean something too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, PsychPillz said:

To be honest I don't find this  line of reasoning very convincing. I understand that it can be viewed as component of the game that does HAVE to be utilized such as arena in WOW. But I guess where I get lost in this is if the CW is the "match" and the EK is the "season" then the matches should have some bearing on the season right? I mean the team which has the best season "wins" the season. From this line of thinking it makes sense to me that as a player/guild compete and preform well within the CW's there should be a carry over into the EK such as rare EK stuff or something.

 

If this is a PvP centered game then the EK's should be involved in this as well. Why have the coolest castle if you cant see it in action? I seems to make sense that as you upgrade your EK you can have your EK be "assault-able" and make the EK's a more involved part of the whole PvP system. By doing this there would be more drive to not only do well in the "matches", but be able to have the "season" mean something too.

You can PvP in EKs, but there's nothing to win there, and likely won't be any time soon, if ever. They've talked about having tournaments that would involve winning guilds from the campaigns, but that is likely to be outside the EK system. More likely, it would be a special type of campaign.

EKs are meant to be places where you can practice (can organize duels with others with PvP turned on), socialize, and be used as market hubs. Prior to them adding vendors to the other worlds, they were exclusively in EKs, and many people ran successful markets. If you watched the Q&A today, the vendors in the temples aren't a long term solution. The God's Reach worlds will probably lose vendors altogether, and people will have to visit EKs to shop outside of the campaigns, as it was originally intended. 

In addition, EKs can be used to house relics and artifacts obtained in campaigns. Check out the FAQ for more info on those:

https://crowfall.com/en-US/faq

EKs should be the place to both craft and shop outside of campaigns, as they once were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 10:46 PM, PsychPillz said:

To be honest I don't find this  line of reasoning very convincing. I understand that it can be viewed as component of the game that does HAVE to be utilized such as arena in WOW. But I guess where I get lost in this is if the CW is the "match" and the EK is the "season" then the matches should have some bearing on the season right? I mean the team which has the best season "wins" the season. From this line of thinking it makes sense to me that as a player/guild compete and preform well within the CW's there should be a carry over into the EK such as rare EK stuff or something.

 

If this is a PvP centered game then the EK's should be involved in this as well. Why have the coolest castle if you cant see it in action? I seems to make sense that as you upgrade your EK you can have your EK be "assault-able" and make the EK's a more involved part of the whole PvP system. By doing this there would be more drive to not only do well in the "matches", but be able to have the "season" mean something too.

I am 100% with you here on this. I have made similar comments and gotten all those replies. and I truly feel those replies are from people who don't care much about the city building aspect of the mmo. I feel like their are ways to make the EK valuable maybe and it so that an EK can be linked to a campaign and the items in that ek at that time work just like all the other items and vendors in the campaign. You can even have portals to Ek's in the neutral town, that adds a portal to the instanced EK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bignick22000 said:

I am 100% with you here on this. I have made similar comments and gotten all those replies. and I truly feel those replies are from people who don't care much about the city building aspect of the mmo. I feel like their are ways to make the EK valuable maybe and it so that an EK can be linked to a campaign and the items in that ek at that time work just like all the other items and vendors in the campaign. You can even have portals to Ek's in the neutral town, that adds a portal to the instanced EK.

You can't link EKs to campaigns as that would bypass the Embargo system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 4:36 AM, Arkade said:

You can't link EKs to campaigns as that would bypass the Embargo system. 

The EK could be linked to the campaign without gear or vendors to go with it thus it won't bypass any embargo. Are people not reading the entire post? I state this a lot and people still bring up the invalid embargo point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bignick22000 said:

The EK could be linked to the campaign without gear or vendors to go with it thus it won't bypass any embargo. Are people not reading the entire post? I state this a lot and people still bring up the invalid embargo point.

I read the entire post. You said "so that an EK can be linked to a campaign and the items in that ek at that time work just like all other items and vendors in the campaign".

If you weren't trying to suggest that people could travel directly from a campaign to an EK and buy stuff to use in the campaign, then you really need to work on communicating better.

If the EK doesn't have any vendors or items, then what's the point? How does it have value in that case? I'm not seeing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is easy problem solving here, you can link an EK that for this discussion we can call a shell.  That shell can have all the parcels and buildings previously built but no Vendors, items, or resources "AT THE TIME OF LINKING" (not yelling just want that part to stick out).  During the campaign you can access that EK to build vendors and items gained from that same campaign. At the end of the campaign you can move things out via the embargo system and the EK goes back to being the shell it was before the campaign started waiting for the next campaign to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...