Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

The Music of Crowfall - Official Discussion Thread

While clearly themed, the music just doesn't capture my imagination the way I think it should. Even in the dead of winter the human spirit fights on and burns brightly in the darkness. I think without that undercurrent in the sound design the wilderness will feel oppressive and combat the desire to explore. Our characters are not timid villagers, afraid of shadows and death. We go boldly into the unknown and danger seeking adventure, insatiable in wanderlust and conquest.

I love the Winter Night (and all of them). It's the wrenched and yielding nature speaking. The scale of events is leaving the vessels as they are: mere tools for crows to steal and scavenge and for the hunger to harvest.

Edited by Moonfish

Moonfish are you related to Darn Hippy? A love child maybe?

I do like what's offered on crowfalls limited sound track so far, but keep JTodd out of the decision making process, I heard he is a Justin Bieber fan.

Anyway keep cranking out the sounds, when I die, I hope all the music that I ever liked goes with me. Unless I go to hell, then of course it will be Bieber Radio 24/7

ciao.

5 minutes ago, corvax said:

keep JTodd out of the decision making process, I heard he is a Justin Bieber fan.

No Bieber. He has been known to walk around the office singing Erasure and Michael Buble stuff, though. And he does a kickass version of "Birdcage in Your Soul". JTC's a crooner. =)

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

14 minutes ago, Pann said:

No Bieber. He has been known to walk around the office singing Erasure and Michael Buble stuff, though. And he does a kickass version of "Birdcage in Your Soul". JTC's a crooner. =)

Karaoke proof or it didn't happen.

After that Fae getup, this one should be easy.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

5 hours ago, Durenthal said:

I like the music, but in a game where you need to hear the enemy approaching, or a harvester harvesting, I think most of us turn the music off entirely.

That's fair. Kills come first!

We are doing things in Wwise to pull important sound effects up above the music and other atmospheric sounds (birds chirping, wind blowing, etc), similar to the way Overwatch does. I'm sure our sound designer, Bobby, could do a whole write-up on that. The short version is that things affecting you, such as enemy footsteps and spells (or buffs/heals from your teammates), will be louder, whereas things that do not will be quieter in the mix.

Also, the music is not constant. As you may have noticed already, the music fades in and out over time. We want it to contribute to the atmosphere of the area without it being too distracting.

With that said... I know the hardcore folks would rather get rid of any excess noise, and we support you in that. You can disable the music for a reason. ;) Hopefully you can enjoy it in the lobby, beachheads and Eternal Kingdoms!

5 hours ago, baerin said:

While clearly themed, the music just doesn't capture my imagination the way I think it should. Even in the dead of winter the human spirit fights on and burns brightly in the darkness. I think without that undercurrent in the sound design the wilderness will feel oppressive and combat the desire to explore. Our characters are not timid villagers, afraid of shadows and death. We go boldly into the unknown and danger seeking adventure, insatiable in wanderlust and conquest.

That's the spirit! Do not go gentle into that horrible, deadly night. :ph34r:

In all seriousness, "the wilderness [feeling] oppressive and [combating] the desire to explore" is exactly what we were aiming for in the winter. We want the music and ambient environment audio to reflect that towards the end of a campaign, these worlds are picked clean. They are now desolate death traps; their plentiful resources have been replaced by horrifying beasts and roving bands of well-equipped enemy soldiers. We want you to feel afraid, and we think that enduring this painful period will make the completion of a campaign more satisfying in the end.

To us, the spring and summer tracks should capture the sense of adventure, wonder and accomplishment that you are looking for, similar to what you hear in the Beachhead Summer Day track. You can listen to some of those songs in the game right now on Live in 5.7.1. We also have a new song for autumn in progress that will release in the next major update that is a blend of these two extremes.

Thank you for the feedback! :)

Max Lancaster, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @crowfallgame | Like us on Facebook

Just now, KrakkenSmacken said:

You guys planning/thinking of adding a few short scores, like 15-30 second sound bites, for victory events like taking a fort?

Absolutely! We had some back in the Siege Perilous days for those who remember, but they will likely get a polish pass or complete overhaul very soon. 

33 minutes ago, MiracleMax said:

That's fair. Kills come first!

We are doing things in Wwise to pull important sound effects up above the music and other atmospheric sounds (birds chirping, wind blowing, etc), similar to the way Overwatch does. I'm sure our sound designer, Bobby, could do a whole write-up on that. The short version is that things affecting you, such as enemy footsteps and spells (or buffs/heals from your teammates), will be louder, whereas things that do not will be quieter in the mix.

Also, the music is not constant. As you may have noticed already, the music fades in and out over time. We want it to contribute to the atmosphere of the area without it being too distracting.

With that said... I know the hardcore folks would rather get rid of any excess noise, and we support you in that. You can disable the music for a reason. ;) Hopefully you can enjoy it in the lobby, beachheads and Eternal Kingdoms!

That's the spirit! Do not go gentle into that horrible, deadly night. :ph34r:

In all seriousness, "the wilderness [feeling] oppressive and [combating] the desire to explore" is exactly what we were aiming for in the winter. We want the music and ambient environment audio to reflect that towards the end of a campaign, these worlds are picked clean. They are now desolate death traps; their plentiful resources have been replaced by horrifying beasts and roving bands of well-equipped enemy soldiers. We want you to feel afraid, and we think that enduring this painful period will make the completion of a campaign more satisfying in the end.

To us, the spring and summer tracks should capture the sense of adventure, wonder and accomplishment that you are looking for, similar to what you hear in the Beachhead Summer Day track. You can listen to some of those songs in the game right now on Live in 5.7.1. We also have a new song for autumn in progress that will release in the next major update that is a blend of these two extremes.

Thank you for the feedback! :)

I would love a 1-touch feature that turned the music off and on again, a toggle, that you could use on the fly, without having to open up settings. That would be awesome.

8 hours ago, Pann said:

Can we get Blair and Halash to do a musical Q&A Live next month, with special guest JTodd singing Safety Dance, by Men Without Hats?

8 hours ago, corvax said:

Can we get Blair and Halash to do a musical Q&A Live next month, with special guest JTodd singing Safety Dance, by Men Without Hats?

I would rather see them old Devo get ups, and sing "whip it".

The article mentions that tracks are broken down by zone, however I was wondering if there are plans to add unique tracks (or remixes - perhaps the same track with difference instruments or in a different key) to particularly noteworthy parcels? I've always appreciated the ability for specific music tracks in games (mmos in particular) to reinforce the 'feel' and 'personality' of a particular area.

5 hours ago, Hi. said:

The article mentions that tracks are broken down by zone, however I was wondering if there are plans to add unique tracks (or remixes - perhaps the same track with difference instruments or in a different key) to particularly noteworthy parcels? I've always appreciated the ability for specific music tracks in games (mmos in particular) to reinforce the 'feel' and 'personality' of a particular area.

Hi, Hi.!

Good catch! :ph34r: We've discussed arranging themes for each adventuring area (canyon, forest, etc.), and possibly applying a variation of that theme based on the mob that inhabits it. For example, if it's a spider canyon, the melody might be be played by a cello... but if it's zombie-themed, then the melody might be played by an organ! 

The key word there is POSSIBLY. :) Right now Nelson is filling out the soundtrack with more general tracks that can be used broadly across the game. This is a great suggestion and one that we would like to pursue, but I can't guarantee it'll happen before launch. 

8 hours ago, MiracleMax said:

Hi, Hi.!

Good catch! :ph34r: We've discussed arranging themes for each adventuring area (canyon, forest, etc.), and possibly applying a variation of that theme based on the mob that inhabits it. For example, if it's a spider canyon, the melody might be be played by a cello... but if it's zombie-themed, then the melody might be played by an organ! 

The key word there is POSSIBLY. :) Right now Nelson is filling out the soundtrack with more general tracks that can be used broadly across the game. This is a great suggestion and one that we would like to pursue, but I can't guarantee it'll happen before launch. 

Pqo5NiP.gif

I love this answer, thank you.