Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSA: combine quality DOES affect stats

Arcadi

There was a recent Q&A and a LOT of in-game chat misinformation that combine quality only affects available pips (it also affects assembly success rate, but that's before the combine exists).  @thomasblairsaid something like "No, you're wrong it does" and then went on, but didn't explain how.  Many people, especially @KrakkenSmacken, keep telling me not to invest any time reverse engineering the crafting system because "it's all going to change in 5.8" -- and that might be true, but I just wanted to say that a few simple tests will demonstrate that material quality does affect stats.

Your first clue should be the +% that shows up on the right side during experimentation.  Maybe you mostly ignore this, but anyone with a basic understanding of arithmetic has probably looked at it and said: "In what world is 20 plus 42.28% equal to 33.783?!?!?!"--I know I have!

Well, that's because it lies.  Or what I've heard affectionately referred to as "Blair math".  The formula isn't Base Stat * 1.4228, the formula is actually Base Stat + Hidden Number * .4228.  This is why a low Base Stat like 6.5 on rune tools can jump into the 80s when experimented on but you can add 60% to a base intellect 60 vessel and only get 10 points.

And the important thing for this discussion, is that hidden number is DIFFERENT depending on the quality of the gear you are experimenting on.  For example the Hidden Number for adding health to metal plates in white is 32.6 (why??? only @thomasblair knows), but the Hidden Number for adding health to metal plates in green is 33.6.  So while it's true the Base Number is still 20, whether you use white mats or green, whereas +42.28% may equal 33.783 in white, it'll get you 34.206 in green.

f9e.gif

Edited by Arcadi

The astute reader may observe: well, if the +% is applied to a Hidden Number (and not actually the base stats), then do sub-component stats only affect the base number, or do they affect the hidden number as well?

I feel like I'm giving a lot of information away for free, but...yes, yes the hidden number is modified by the stats on the sub-components.

2 hours ago, Arcadi said:

.  For example the Hidden Number for adding health to metal plates in white is 32.6 (why??? only tblair

knows), but the Hidden Number for adding health to metal plates in green is 33.6.  So while it's true the Base Number is still 20, whether you use white mats or green, whereas +42.28% may equal 33.783 in white, it'll get you 34.206 in green.

Could be that the base is 31.6, (grey), and it goes up by +1 for each quality grade, maybe even as a simple placeholder value in the formula till they give it a balance pass.  You might be able to get a better pattern with more than two data points.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

I have a lot more data, it just wasn't relevant for this conversation.

You are right, if you tested blues and purples as well, you might notice a pattern in the modifiers (such as +1 for each quality stage).  That said, +1 on 32.6 is a lot different than +1 on a 208.7 (e.g. I'm on my phone, not at my hidden numbers spreadshert) durability base hidden number.  So +1 in all situations might be less likely than 5% (incidentally 1 is 5% of the base 20, though goes less evenly into 32.6).

At any rate, the point of my post was not to provide my data, spreadsheets, or formula; just to inform that a commonly accepted idea regarding mat rarity's effect on stats was incorrect. I encourage everyone to confirm on their own.

Edited by Arcadi

Damn!

@ThomasBlair I am sorry. I have been wrong about this since 4.3sus.

There is some lift still it is just VERY, very slight.  I did a 5 pip single line Roll on white green and blue. 

Got the same rolls on the white and the green. Got a lesser roll on the durability 3 pip roll on the blue. 

With 13 pips no 50% rule was in effect. 

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by srathor
4.3sus