• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/17/15 - Voxel Farm & Elken Stalkers!

Hey gang,

Exciting times! 

Feb17Banner2.jpg

This morning's update is a bit different; instead of concentrating exclusively on game content, today we're going to look at some of the core technology that we're using to make this game work: a platform called Voxel Farm.

Some of you are probably familiar with Voxel Farm; it's gotten a lot of attention for use in some other high-profile games.  This library really consists of two parts: 

1. it gives us the ability to modify and shape the terrain and buildings in the game, using "voxels" (tiny blocks, sort of like Minecraft only much, MUCH smaller), and

2. it also allows us to generate our World maps procedurally.

For more information on our use of this technology, take a look at the Voxel FAQ.

Additionally, we're adding another Archetype to the roster today: the Elken Stalker -- one of the Sons of D'Orion, the Sky Hunter.  Like the Confessor last week, no in-game screenshot showing what one of these guys might look like -- again, remember that we're a game in development.  As soon as we have something to show, rest assured that we will...

We're now less than a week away from the expiration of the countdown timer -- at which point we'll be revealing the rest of our plans for the game.  Some of it you already know, some of it you can probably guess, some of it will be a surprise.  anything that is left  -- because we haven't figured it out yet -- we'll be ready to discuss with you, here on the forums.

As always, thanks for being part of our community!

Todd
ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Elken Stalkers?  Voxels?  Fully destructible terrain?

You know that feeling you get, the first time you log in to a new game – that rush of exploration and mystery? The sense of excitement that comes during first turn of a game like Civilization – the urgency to explore, to expand, to conquer? that’s the emotion that we want, every time you enter a new Campaign World.

I'm going to faint.  Stop it with your pretty words!

Todays' Summary

• Elken Stalkers have stolen my heart.
  • Elken Narrative has a surprise ending (I'm still trying to figure out who is who).
  • Mystical voxel technology is in charge of constructing Dying Worlds.
  • Eternal Kingdoms will have a "Build your own building". (Not Confirmed).
  • Eternal Kingdoms still look unimpressive as of today (Voxel technology restricted in EK).
  • Game Devs hint at "ubterranean...veins of iron or copper, twisting caverns and underground lakes and rivers".
  • Devs favor strategy and exploration over theme park rides: "Algorithmic terrain creation isn’t great for theme park games where the areas are created to match particular, pre-written storylines. However, it works GREAT for simulation and strategy games (like Minecraft, or Civilization) where your decisions – and the decisions of the other players – form the foundation of the experience".
  • Crowfall now sounds too good to be true, how can this be real? "By using an algorithmic approach to create new game Worlds at the “push of a button,” Crowfall can keep the players constantly guessing and keep the game feeling new."
  • Devs hint at crazy stunts made possible by the voxel technology.  Not yet confirmed, do not wet your pants yet: "Blast holes in walls. Collapse towers on your opponent. Dig a tunnel beneath a castle wall, so that you can dig your way up into the courtyard and siege from within."
  • "...Collapse towers on your opponent..." This is just silly...let us crush our opponents with rolling boulders!  Like in Indiana Jones!
Edited by sneaky_squirrel

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

I was HOPING for some sort of procedural generation!  Never the same world twice!  Awesome, just fantastic.  This update is going to be fantastic to dig my teeth into.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

2. What does a voxelized world allow players to do?

Blast holes in walls. Collapse towers on your opponent. Dig a tunnel beneath a castle wall, so that you can dig your way up into the courtyard and siege from within.

3. Is this only on Campaign Worlds? Or on the Eternal Kingdoms are well?

On the Campaign worlds, the implications are obvious – if these Worlds are going to be destroyed eventually, anyway, why not make them fully destructible?

VOXELS This is really awesome news!  You guys are firing on all cylinders, and keep pulling features off of my own personal mental checklist for the "Holy Grail MMO."

I played around with Landmark for a bit - the Voxel mining was pretty neat (you dig down iand around the ore vein and end up in a hole in the ground of your own making, with ore sprinkled around you).  The only really exciting feature of EQNext was voxel terrain.  I think I can safely cross that title off my watch list.

rSHxVEY.gif

Ohhhhhh I got to play with Voxels in the Landmark beta.  Was very interesting and the community was able to do things with them that the Devs admitted they didn't think were possible.  Well, time to go read some FAQs and check out the new archetype!

Edited by Tanom

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

I am quite unfamiliar with voxels, will check it out.. is it like Everquest Landmark? :)

If you want to see what voxel farm is capable of definatly check out some screen shots for Landmark competition builds. It uses voxelfarm tacked on to the forgelight engine. I am gunna post some screenies at lunch time.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

Fantastic choice of Voxel Farm. I think this will be a BIG draw for the Minecraft set. 

JTodd, this info drop reminds me of a convo we had a long time ago, about building in Wizzie...

Aww, you WERE listening :D

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.