Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/17/15 - Voxel Farm & Elken Stalkers!

Our goal with voxels is much more of the destructive nature, blowing up walls, digging, creating really big holes, resource gathering. 

Yes there will be some placing of structures but not to the degree of a game like Landmark.  We aren't too keen on seeing recreations of the Battle of Hoth, giant Doctor Who Tardis, or massive starships like the Galactica all next to each other in a fantasy setting.   

Does that mean you'll be limiting the legitimate placement and development of advanced fortifications and artillery so long as they fit within the assumed medieval-ish environment? Or is the limitation on a case-by-case basis to prevent stupid crap from pop culture or other anachronistic items from screwing with the game world?

Also, any way we could get more info on in-game physics and their impact on things like structural integrity of buildings, projectile range/accuracy, or asset placement? Freeform construction or grid-based (lame)? Are structures templated/premade or do we have to build everything one brick at a time? Will crafters have a necessary role to play in the construction of fortifications and large structures or can any character, regardless of "build," fill that role?

2eyfm20.jpg

Hey Devs, have you considered voxels composed of certain materials being destructible based on heat?

I.E. if I light a house on fire, it actually burns to ash and rubble?

More realistic fires that could slowly actually consume their materials with their consumption speed based on the amount of fire within a certain radius could make for some really interesting siege potential, let alone how more alive the world would feel.  Town guards that actually run buckets to put out fires, well systems to protect towns from sieges and fire mages.  Mages themselves having water spells to help out.

Voxel technology is bloody awesome!

Love that is the direction your going in.  But I do have a question.

If players are given the tools to create architecture and manipulate the environment, then do you and if so how do you plan on combating penises and breasts being put all over the place?   Serious question, because people are going to do it if you let them.

Is this the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon? :)

Thralls, the other half of gear craftsmanship!

Hopefully the Developers will run a FAQ sheet on this today!  :unsure:

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

now here's an idea, with voxel they could go one further and say once a year a special world appears and the prize is the winner gets to create the next WORLD! muhahahahaha

This is an in-game demo of EQ Next combat. It uses voxel technology. Notice the terrain damage leading to the underground cavern...

http://youtu.be/eNA6jBJ1VFI?t=26s The fighter's combat skill damages the terrain.

Someone at ArtCraft needs to call Dave Georgeson! This opens up all kinds of very cool possibilities, though I am very curious to see what voxels being "restricted" in EK actually means.

I hope not.  Dave Georgeson was terrible management and I'm not sure how helpful he would be regarding voxel technology.  He led a team of developers and coders, thats what his job was, he was a producer i.e. management, not a guy who would know the ins and outs of the technology, or the daily issues that arise developing with it.  He had a terrible vision of what he what he wanted to produce, lets hope ArtCraft doesn't mud down their project with any insight from him.

So far I am a huge fan of crowfall and everything that's been done to this point. That being said, I believe Voxels are pretty much the worst idea. On paper yes they are spectacular, but if there is one thing ALL voxel engines have proven w/o a shadow of a doubt so far is that they slow the game down with lag and load times endlessly. Landmark is the best example of this. I think you should rethink the whole voxel idea, and do a little more research. Maybe a voxel/static mesh hybrid.

pleeease don't just follow the crowd down the voxel rabbit hole, the technology isn't quite there yet.

- ON second thought, voxel engines generate a superficial static mesh atop the voxels being used to define the volume. I can definitely see the need here to procedurally generate random worlds. So a good compromise might be to use the voxel engine to generate that static mesh and export JUST that mesh as the world to be played upon. This may even present the advantage of being able to use very tiny voxels to define greater detail than you would in a real-time environment.

Another thought would be to possibly take this one step further and hybrid the world. Making certain aspects remain voxels while the bulk of the environment being static. Like perhaps walls and buildings being voxels for a more interactive experience.

Edited by Nevinrral

I am wondering how much of space this game will take on my hard drive... But heck it is WORTH IT!

"What comes easy, won't last. What lasts, won't come easy."