Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/17/15 - Voxel Farm & Elken Stalkers!

In EQN, the mechanics of Voxels was extremely problematic in how you could place, maneuver and change them. It was one of the main reasons I left playing the game and got a refund as they never did address some of these problems.

The whole Voxel mechanic is extremely interesting though, and adds a lot of flavor and potential to games. I just hope the devs here can implement a better control system than SOE had.

Just because we are using the same technology doesn't mean we're going to do everything the same as Landmark, rest assured. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

In EQN, the mechanics of Voxels was extremely problematic in how you could place, maneuver and change them. 

Placing them could be interesting at times, but I never had an issue with maneuvering or changing them.  I think ACE can learn a lot from EQN and use it to improve the process.

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

2. What does a voxelized world allow players to do?

Dig a tunnel beneath a castle wall, so that you can dig your way up into the courtyard and siege from within.

Can definitively say I called it first with the badger digging tunnels for sieges!

Landmark buildings built with Voxel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezMpJgNJqHI

Really cool stuff, haven't really heard about Voxel Farm before but after reading up on it, it sounds positively awesome! I just hope it doesn't impact performance too much. :)

Also btw the one being hunted is the Elken in the story :D

Member of The BlackHand Order

Building DURING a siege? That would be absurd! It's unlikely we would allow that. 

I'm glad to hear that from you TullyAckland.

Now, I'm really curious to find out how the gameplay actually works during spring.

Sitting on my hands for now, but still can't wait to find out more.

edited: grammar.

Edited by XephRy

What kind of performance issues do expect with using voxels?

Our voxel implementation is primarily a CPU bound activity and benefits greatly from multi-core systems.  The resulting geometry can be customized and optimized which actually helps in a lot of ways to alleviate GPU pressure.  Because the vast majority of the world is dynamically meshed based on voxel data, things like LOD (Level of Detail) and culling (the world is already stored in a spatial tree) can become much more intuitive than dealing with a traditionally fixed and baked world.

I found building in Landmark tedious. The possibilities of what can be done are outstanding but it just required waaaaaaay too much learning... at least more than I wanted to invest. It's like learning to use Photoshop.

I would strongly suggest having an instanced tutorial on how to build where players can dig and harvest and build without ruining the landscape with poorly built structures. Start from the very basics and work towards advanced building techniques.

In EQN, the mechanics of Voxels was extremely problematic in how you could place, maneuver and change them. It was one of the main reasons I left playing the game and got a refund as they never did address some of these problems.

The whole Voxel mechanic is extremely interesting though, and adds a lot of flavor and potential to games. I just hope the devs here can implement a better control system than SOE had.

Landmark is not EQN. Landmark is a building sculpter game, both Crowfall and EQN are not.

Edited by frozenshadow

I found building in Landmark tedious. The possibilities of what can be done are outstanding but it just required waaaaaaay too much learning... at least more than I wanted to invest.

That was the entire point of Landmark though.  It had no easy to use GUI because they wanted to see what could be done from the base system.  Once these go live I am sure it will have an easy to use GUI to build things with.

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Our goal with voxels is much more of the destructive nature, blowing up walls, digging, creating really big holes, resource gathering. 

Yes there will be some placing of structures but not to the degree of a game like Landmark.  We aren't too keen on seeing recreations of the Battle of Hoth, giant Doctor Who Tardis, or massive starships like the Galactica all next to each other in a fantasy setting.   

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook