Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/17/15 - Voxel Farm & Elken Stalkers!

This looks very promising, and relieves one of my concerns about the multiple worlds being a patched up mess. Unfortunately this raises another concern for me. In on of the videos a huge slab of roof falls and stays in tact while destroying nothing in its way. I'm trusting ACE has a plan to combine Voxels and physics so a falling building potentially takes out or damages another building and maybe a few players. Hopefully even hiding in a well fortified city will have its own set of risks.

Our goal with voxels is much more of the destructive nature, blowing up walls, digging, creating really big holes, resource gathering. 

In this regard, does that mean all/most of the terrain will be voxel driven?  It'd be easier to really dig holes in voxel terrain than traditional mesh terrain.

Any security/bandwidth concerns for constantly updating that much data across all clients?  I'm envisioning a world with nothing but player-dug holes in it, as if someone buried a mythical spear +9 of instakilling under a rock.  Gotta start at the extremes to make sure things behave as expected :)

Edited by gaunsaku

Gaunsaku

Elder, Lords of the Dead

lotd.org

Our voxel implementation is primarily a CPU bound activity and benefits greatly from multi-core systems.  The resulting geometry can be customized and optimized which actually helps in a lot of ways to alleviate GPU pressure.  Because the vast majority of the world is dynamically meshed based on voxel data, things like LOD (Level of Detail) and culling (the world is already stored in a spatial tree) can become much more intuitive than dealing with a traditionally fixed and baked world.

*touches* hi kevviinnnn *heavy breathing* -spongebobsquarepants

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

In this regard, does that mean all/most of the terrain will be voxel driven?  It'd be easier to really dig holes in voxel terrain than traditional mesh terrain.

Correct. 

That doesn't mean that the world will be constantly full of huge holes, however. We're thinking ahead with Terrain healing (And specific ways to prevent terrain healing, when required). It's top priority that the world still is playable, while allowing the freedom of exploration and destruction. 

This technology offers us so much potential, it's important that we use it correctly! 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Any security/bandwidth concerns for constantly updating that much data across all clients?  I'm envisioning a world with nothing but player-dug holes in it, as if someone buried a mythical spear +9 of instakilling under a rock.  Gotta start at the extremes to make sure things behave as expected :)

This tells me there will be natural caverns included. Some may not even have an opening to the surface until you dig to them.

Subterranean areas can be included, as well… veins of iron or copper, twisting caverns and underground lakes and rivers. It can even be used to generate an endless landscape filled with ruins.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

First, I love the Elken Stalker story... he was a hunter, but in the end his prey got him. Its great to see a hero fail for a change.

Next Voxels... Your sure take the wind out of EQN sails, honestly I think that feature really was the only thing it had going for it aside from EQ lore (which they were reinviting anyway).

I also loved that you even stated you can in fact dig under walls... well that brings a different angle to a siege. Does the rodent/badger looking race get a bonus to digging?

sbu_lom_crowfall.png

Correct. 

That doesn't mean that the world will be constantly full of huge holes, however. We're thinking ahead with Terrain healing (And specific ways to prevent terrain healing, when required). It's top priority that the world still is playable, while allowing the freedom of exploration and destruction. 

This technology offers us so much potential, it's important that we use it correctly! 

So does this mean we'll also be able to damage enemy terrain or resource nodes to temporarily slow their progress or whatever good it'll do? Collapse a mine burn a forest etc.?

Correct. 

Please give some player classes the ability to camouflage player-built structures, making them look natural to the untrained eye.

For instance, a carpenter could craft something wooden, and maybe a dryad can make it a living tree conforming mostly to the crafted shape?

Or a mason could craft a structure, and a stone mage could sculpt it with a more natural-looking surface, using part of your terrain-healing process?

Perhaps our dryad could grow briars over the finished product for even more camouflage?

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

VOXELS!? Good gravy! You just keep saying all the right things... *swoon*

Now I have to stop complaining about the graphics, cause I said I would if the game was voxel-based. You have done well Crowcraft, which is what I want to start calling this game. Don't like it? Peck me.

Been playing Landmark for a while now, it uses Voxel Farm + Forgelight engine, and it's pretty amazing despite having a lot of gameplay-related flaws and no physics yet. I hope it isn't dead because of the whole SOE/Daybreak fiasco. At least I sort of have a replacement for it now.

peastravaganza%20dos_zps4q178jpn.png

Very excited to see destructible environments as well as ways to make terrain heal so it doesnt look like thar is random holes everywhere. I made a comment in the engine thread that this game had something that just felt so similar to EQN and guess i was right lol I really like this voxels. I think the Elken race is badass too cant wait to see them about :P

krevra.png

Our voxel implementation is primarily a CPU bound activity and benefits greatly from multi-core systems.  The resulting geometry can be customized and optimized which actually helps in a lot of ways to alleviate GPU pressure.  Because the vast majority of the world is dynamically meshed based on voxel data, things like LOD (Level of Detail) and culling (the world is already stored in a spatial tree) can become much more intuitive than dealing with a traditionally fixed and baked world.

Multi-core threading in current engines is notoriously difficult to achieve. Are you using DirectX11 or GLNext to gain access to additional cores?

Edited by halethrain

ncLez59.png

never heard of that voxels stuff before, but sounds good :)

I like all the video examples, seems really promising.

but pls, for the love of god, limit terrain deformation somehow. I really don't want to look at hooligan-shaped holes all day.

I'm going to follow you around while making penis structures.

Edited by wormed

Voxel Farm is looking pretty sweet.  I hadn't even considered the possibilities you just presented with today's update.  No idea the plans were to include such awesome stuff as tunneling under walls during a siege etc.  That's amazing, I just hope it all works out.  The smoothness and stability of the engine is going to be a huge factor - one of the things leading to SB's premature decline were all of the technical problems.

I've been saving money to potentially throw at crowdfunding.  Can't wait to see more next week!

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

This is an in-game demo of EQ Next combat. It uses voxel technology. Notice the terrain damage leading to the underground cavern...

http://youtu.be/eNA6jBJ1VFI?t=26s The fighter's combat skill damages the terrain.

Someone at ArtCraft needs to call Dave Georgeson! This opens up all kinds of very cool possibilities, though I am very curious to see what voxels being "restricted" in EK actually means.

Edited by Toxophile

eEvERiW.jpg