Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Changes to Character Creation - Official Discussion Thread

when might we see advantages/disadvantage systems for creation?

[older article]

CC_RC_4_Advantages-1024x640.jpg

ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES

Once the look is settled, it is time to alter the character’s stats and attributes through Advantages and Disadvantages. Every race and class combination will yield a pool of Creation Points that can be spent on Advantages to provide stat benefits in various categories. Alternatively, you can opt to apply Disadvantages that will decrease your stat values but grant you bonus Creation Points that can be applied on further Advantages. For example, “Eagle Eye” will grant increased accuracy with ranged weapons, while “Dim Witted” will lower Intellect, but grant points that can be spent to further increase Strength.

We are still designing the specifics of this portion of character creation, but the goal is basically unchanged since we announced this system during our Kickstarter campaign. We want to give players a chance to further match the character to their playstyle. Now that our other systems (Race/Class/Disciplines) have come online, we have opened up a lot more options in this regard. Advantages won’t just be limited to affecting skills and max attributes; they can offer other benefits like new powers, passives and additional slots for them.

and will campaign end screens contain a breakdown of stats [and will this be kept as a history online for past campaigns etc]

e.g. X campaign: 5 sieges won, 50 guinceans killed, 500 trees harvested etc etc

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I'm still not understanding exactly how vessels will work if they have to be placed in the spirit bank first. If exports don't happen until the end of the campaign, then any vessel crafted inside a campaign can't be used until the next campaign, unless the movement of vessels is allowed outside the import/export system. Or is the current system of importing and exporting staying as it is and a different reward will be granted at the end?

Some pretty key takeaway details.

You can use one vessel forever

No vessel decay.  No restriction on keeping it around and using it "forever".

Once selected, however, it should be noted that your character will be LOCKED inside this Campaign until it ends.

Characters are not locked to a Kingdom and can be pulled out at any time, at which point they can be selected to enter a different Kingdom or put into a Campaign. (Remember, they get locked into this Campaign as noted above.)

Sounds like if you want to roam in an EK, you will need a dedicated vessel for EK, and that "locked" vessels can not travel from campaign to EK.

14 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Some pretty key takeaway details.

No vessel decay.  No restriction on keeping it around and using it "forever".

Sounds like if you want to roam in an EK, you will need a dedicated vessel for EK, and that "locked" vessels can not travel from campaign to EK.

We already knew there wouldn't be decay. 

Regarding the movement between EK and campaign, I think you are inferring something that isn't there. They wrote this just last week:

Each character in a slot will be in one of two states: locked into a Campaign or not locked into a Campaign. These work pretty much as they sound: the former means that vessel has already joined a Campaign and is locked there for the duration. The latter means that vessel can still join a Campaign. Any of these characters are able to enter an Eternal Kingdom at any time.

Edited by Arkade

1 minute ago, Arkade said:

We already knew there wouldn't be decay. 

Regarding the movement between EK and campaign, I think you are inferring something that isn't there. They wrote this just last week:

Each character in a slot will be in one of two states: locked into a Campaign or not locked into a Campaign. These work pretty much as they sound: the former means that vessel has already joined a Campaign and is locked there for the duration. The latter means that vessel can still join a Campaign. Any of these characters are able to enter an Eternal Kingdom at any time.

True.   

Characters are not locked to a Kingdom and can be pulled out at any time, at which point they can be selected to enter a different Kingdom or put into a Campaign. (Remember, they get locked into this Campaign as noted above.)

To my obsessive mind the two statements, and especially the seeming context of the second post, appear to contradict each other.

Having a vessel able to be in campaign and go to EK "at any time", brings to the front several questions. 

• Are there two copies of locked vessels, one for EK's and one for Campaigns?
  • What about inventory?
  • What is the mechanic for moving from "Locked" campaign out into EK's?
  • How does this affect import/export tokens?
  • How are changes in one tracked to the other? (XP, Equipment, etc.)

Basically, without being locked in and stuck there, it adds a pile of "how do they move from EK to campaign" questions.

2 hours ago, ACE_Jackal said:

Even more customization is available!

FULL STORY

Small request: what are the chances we can get the official class/race chart (as linked in this news post) sorted to look like this fan-made one?

It has the races and classes divided into the categories and sub-categories defined by the skill training system (man vs. sylvan, pure man vs. hybrid, arcane vs. fighter, etc.). This makes it so much easier to understand.

Edited by Avloren

43 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

True.   

To my obsessive mind the two statements, and especially the seeming context of the second post, appear to contradict each other.

Having a vessel able to be in campaign and go to EK "at any time", brings to the front several questions. 

• What about inventory?

Basically, without being locked in and stuck there, it adds a pile of "how do they move from EK to campaign" questions.

I think you've got it backwards. If they're in an EK, they can move freely between EKs. However, once you put a vessel into a campaign, it's locked until the end.

231e101d88.jpg

2 hours ago, Tinnis said:

when might we see advantages/disadvantage systems for creation?

Someone caught this from the last live stream.  I don't recall hearing anything about "Talent Points" before this.

S3VQC2H.jpg

I would suggest that you highlight the armor and weapon for each class in the character creation too, so that we are able to see how it will look like ingame. Most mmos have this function.

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to Find them, One Ring to bring them all an in the darkness and bind them.

1 hour ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

True.   

• What about inventory?

I am 99.99999999% sure that there won't be two copies of a vessel. We move from one island to another within the campaign without having multiple copies of the vessel. Going from a campaign to an EK is essentially the same thing. If there were two copies, then what you really have are two different vessels that can be modified/leveled independently, and I don't see them doing that. That would defeat the whole purpose.

The mechanic for moving from a campaign to an EK seems to be the same one we have now. Log out of the campaign and into whichever EK you want. At one point they said that the lobby would be going away, but every game has a character selection screen. It makes sense to keep it and control world movement from there.

For the rest, I don't know. It's possible that your inventory and gear won't go with you, but that doesn't solve all the problems. What if I go to an EK and change a discipline? If they flag items as being locked to a campaign, what happens to the items in my inventory that aren't locked to a campaign when I enter the campaign? Obviously, they will have to have special code to deal with the edge cases. 

After the tease in the Q&A, I was really hoping we'd get more info today.

1 hour ago, Groovin said:

If they're in an EK, they can move freely between EKs. However, once you put a vessel into a campaign, it's locked until the end.

This is what I gathered. Selecting a vessel for a campaign would transfer the vessel character data to the campaign world. After the campaign it would be transferred back to the login server and available to be used in other campaigns or in EK's. The only thing missing is if items carried and equipped would also be transferred with the vessel or if that is a separate database transfer requiring spirit bank import/exporting. I would assume vessels transfer naked to keep some relevance with the spirit banks import/export limits.

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

I think there could be confusion with the above quotes.  Once you enter a campaign with a vessel it is locked for the duration. It is only vessels not locked to a campaign that can float around various EK's.

6 minutes ago, Zage said:

What happens to our inventory and equipment when we switch vessels in a campaign with this change?   Is it staying the same or is our inventory and gear staying on the vessel?

equipped items and inventory would stay on that vessel, just like nearly every other mmo treats inventory on individual characters. To transfer it to a different vessel would require moving it to a shared bank/spirit bank/ guild/ or friend and then changing vessels.

7 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I think there could be confusion with the above quotes.  Once you enter a campaign with a vessel it is locked for the duration. It is only vessels not locked to a campaign that can float around various EK's.

It's the contrast in messaging between the current News post, and the previous one.

Each character in a slot will be in one of two states: locked into a Campaign or not locked into a Campaign. These work pretty much as they sound: the former means that vessel has already joined a Campaign and is locked there for the duration. The latter means that vessel can still join a Campaign. Any of these characters are able to enter an Eternal Kingdom at any time.

"Any" in this paragraphs context "could" mean, "Any" as in all "character(s) in a slot", or "Any" vessel that can still join a Campaign.

The latest article seems to indicate the latter interpretation.

15 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

It's the contrast in messaging between the current News post, and the previous one.

"Any" in this paragraphs context "could" mean, "Any" as in all "character(s) in a slot", or "Any" vessel that can still join a Campaign.

The latest article seems to indicate the latter interpretation.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I personally think they used a period instead of a comma in the last sentence. 

Each character in a slot will be in one of two states: locked into a Campaign or not locked into a Campaign. These work pretty much as they sound: the former means that vessel has already joined a Campaign and is locked there for the duration. The latter means that vessel can still join a Campaign. Any of THESE characters are able to enter an Eternal Kingdom at any time.

Simply stressing the word 'these' instead of 'any' would change the meaning of this paragraph. :)

Edited by mystafyi

It sounds to me like...

If you make a basic vessel and then once you get your first crafted vessel and drop it into your spirit bank, whether that crafting is done in a campaign or an EK, it will show up the next time you add a new character which still leaves the original basic character either in the EKs or the campaign chosen and lets the new character in the advanced vessel again choose to first go into the EKs (to pick up gear) and then join a campaign.  It is consistent as that new character does not pass over the inventory of the original vessel.   

This means that if you want to delete that first starting vessel to make an empty slot (given you only have 3) for another crafted vessel, you risk deleting any and all gear with it (as you do so from the main menu now instead of from a crypt.)   OR will you still be able to ALSO visit a crypt and change the vessel inside the campaign directly?   hmmm.   If the crypt still exists?  does it allow vessel swaps or can that only happen in the main menu now.    A new vessel previously just replaced the old one and all the gear and inventory dropped to inventory.  If you have to use a new character slot to use a crafted vessel, the two are unique and you would have to 2 box to swap gear and inventory before deleting? or pass through a third party?   That doesn't sound right.  Something is missing here.

We have lots of questions...

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai