Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
idoll

Online progression with specialization in mind

I am adding it here, since I am quite sure it would disappear in the other thread I wrote it out.

Problem:
-with no online progression people get demotivated and do not see point in some activities (offline progression is the most important)
-if you grant online progression people see it as a time sink, which will require you to play to be able to compete
-people with crafting / farming profession goals get turned off with the idea that you can not ever be the "best", when everyone is progressing the same with offline progression

So solving this issue:

Make maximum XP cap / day to achieve from online activities. Make different activities to grant points in that specific field. All points could be used to progress what ever mastery you want, but conversion from activity points to another activity points would result in a loss of points (ie. -40%). This would allowe people to specialize with their online activity.

-you can get maximum number of XP points  / day (that is just point cap)
-all activities generate XP (PVP, PVE, "farming", crafting): each of which generate XP to that specific mastery pool
-the max cap is global - the sum of the different points (PVP, PVE, "farming", crafting) is the max cap... 

-the points that you gather can be used to boost any mastery - however converting PVP xp to boost crafting would result in a loss of points (-40%)
-(PVP-> class?, PVE->race?, crafting->, "farming"->exploration...)

I dont think OP had any mention of daily quests. He mentioned "online activities", but that doesn't necessarily equate to "WoW level" of daily quests. I believe he is stating something I agree with, which is that there needs to be an improved form of online progression - through activities such as performing the skill you want to gain proficiency in (instead of the alternative of logging in to spend points that were gained while offline). 

I believe skill points gained in your specialty - while performing those tasks - is actually a good idea. It would allow them to keep the same skill tree and provide some additional incentive for people to log in and play the game.

1 minute ago, ilogos said:

I dont think OP had any mention of daily quests. He mentioned "online activities", but that doesn't necessarily equate to "WoW level" of daily quests. I believe he is stating something I agree with, which is that there needs to be an improved form of online progression - through activities such as performing the skill you want to gain proficiency in (instead of the alternative of logging in to spend points that were gained while offline). 

I believe skill points gained in your specialty - while performing those tasks - is actually a good idea. It would allow them to keep the same skill tree and provide some additional incentive for people to log in and play the game.

It will be yet another vertical progression. I did read something about horizontal progression in Crowfall.
Why people always ask for more verticality when it is what they hate in the end?

System is set in way that you are going to reach end of skill tree upon certain limited amount of time. Imagine, that developers have that time as target and ensure that "grinders" will not get there sooner... Smaller passive tree XP gain?

And yes, it does not matter that there is no NPC telling you to cut down 40 trees. If it is activity with daily reset, it is form of Daily Quest. People do those things because they do not want to be behind others. It's not fun to run around and just chopping Trees for XP. It is fun to do it for certain deliverables which you can present to others.
It is fun as group activity because certain resource requires more players to be mined.

Think about things in Crowfall from Fun and Horizontal progression perspective. It is PvP-Sandbox, and those are real pain-points.

OP complained in another topic about being bored and having nothing to do in game while waiting for next Passive tree unlock. So he created substitute problem which would force him to do something in game instead of having fun. Enforcing that on whole community would be ...

People should be thinking about methods which would improve their stay than enforcing it via penalization for not being online actively.

I understand that point - but I think a compromise could still be made to satisfy both types of players. I think there should be a middle ground of passive progression and active progression. Enabling a player to gain a few extra skill points for a few hours more of play, in my opinion, would provide an incentive for more people to play the game - which ultimately would lead to a better gaming experience for everyone. 

To add a little more, I know they have the sacrifice system and player levels - but I personally don't feel any sort of excitement when reaching a new level and adding three attribute points.

Edited by ilogos

2 hours ago, Fox2232 said:

Vocal down-vote: "I did not come to do yet another form of daily quest."

I want to play/do activity because game/activity is fun, not because I would fall behind if I did not.

But the point is that you get the progression in something you feel is fun... not a daily quest.

The system works following:
-you play a game and do the things you like... you get the XP from there. There is max cap so you do not have need to play more than what is considered normal. 

so nothing would change - just that there would be reward doing activities you like doing - and differentiate your character in the market.