Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall Live! with Blair - Official Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Pann said:

The news article has been updated with highlights from today's live stream along with a link to the VOD now available on YouTube

You left out all the really important stuff. Race/class time based trees are being removed in favor of the talents. That was not made clear in any of the talent tree articles.

Also, VIP no longer affects training!

Guild Leader of Seeds of War

Given that we know from this video that discipline crafting is on the way, and from the patch notes that mounts are on the way, where are crafting factories at?  Still coming?  Hoping for 6.0?  Cut?  How will they work in the 3-faction ruleset?

Just now, McTan said:

What do you propose instead? Consumable? Harder to implement with set charges, for sure.

Simply having the recipe in your inventory should be enough. I also don't think it would be too crazy to hook it into the crafting recipe UI with some sort of charge system. The current system seems really awkward and clunky.

1 hour ago, Helix said:

Simply having the recipe in your inventory should be enough. I also don't think it would be too crazy to hook it into the crafting recipe UI with some sort of charge system. The current system seems really awkward and clunky.

I dont think its an issue tbh.
the fact there special recipe that make an end item not not things like ingots u wont be reequipping these on a regular basis, also if there equiped u dont drop them on death so thats also a plus for the crafters if they were to get ganked while crafting in a fort or what not.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

1 hour ago, Helix said:

A system like this is great because it was put together using a bunch of existing tech and no engineering support.

Adjectives are strings we put on the player for various reasons,
Equipment slots can be granted by adjectives,
Items can grant adjectives and invisible proc powers when equipped,
Adjectives can also grant recipes,
Powers can proc a decay hit to a specified slot when a recipe is made.
Voila!

All of those tech pieces were built for other systems, yet rearranging them in a clever way creates a whole new type of content, the consumable recipe scroll. (BTW using existing tech, prototyping, and making a fun new form of content that is good enough for production is the kind of thing that gets a designer noticed in this business.)

Now if you want to build a consumable recipe scroll system from scratch you would need to go through the whole process of a GDD to UI Mocks to TDD to engineering back to design for content creation. I can say with good certainty a feature like this would instantly get thrown into the post launch/never bucket, despite it sounding really cool. (Also your solution determines for the player which consumable you are going to use, which people tend not to like. Sure do something like the lowest charge first, unless I as the player didn't want to do it that way, then they are pissed. It is always better to give the player as much agency if at all possible, and let them decide how they want to manage their items. The easiest way to do that is to force them to equip/click the thing they want to use.)

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

13 hours ago, thomasblair said:

A system like this is great because it was put together using a bunch of existing tech and no engineering support.

Adjectives are strings we put on the player for various reasons,
Equipment slots can be granted by adjectives,
Items can grant adjectives and invisible proc powers when equipped,
Adjectives can also grant recipes,
Powers can proc a decay hit to a specified slot when a recipe is made.
Voila!

All of those tech pieces were built for other systems, yet rearranging them in a clever way creates a whole new type of content, the consumable recipe scroll. (BTW using existing tech, prototyping, and making a fun new form of content that is good enough for production is the kind of thing that gets a designer noticed in this business.)

Now if you want to build a consumable recipe scroll system from scratch you would need to go through the whole process of a GDD to UI Mocks to TDD to engineering back to design for content creation. I can say with good certainty a feature like this would instantly get thrown into the post launch/never bucket, despite it sounding really cool. (Also your solution determines for the player which consumable you are going to use, which people tend not to like. Sure do something like the lowest charge first, unless I as the player didn't want to do it that way, then they are disgruntled. It is always better to give the player as much agency if at all possible, and let them decide how they want to manage their items. The easiest way to do that is to force them to equip/click the thing they want to use.)

Not to mention we now get to see complaints when someone scams someone else by selling them a 1/5 charges scroll as if it were a new scroll!

On 11/20/2018 at 10:00 PM, Helix said:

If it's equipped you can't lose it on death.  Maybe a craft or 2 on it.  That may be the reasoning.