Atome

Is Release any closer

Are we any closer to a release? We are almost at the year anniversary for the previously scheduled soft launch date end of 2017, how much longer do we have to wait?

lawl…   a game takes 4 to 5 years no matter how much wishing the devs and the backers do...   

Wayyyy closer, full game loop this patch yet still missing some major stuff...   

I'll toss this out...  Full Alpha in Spring, Full Beta this summer, Soft Launch next Fall, Commercial Campaign at Christmas season 2019.

4 year Development.

Edited by Frykka

5 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

The answer is Yes, with a big caveat of "When it's ready."

If ACE isn't happy with the product, as in they don't think it's worth people paying for yet, they are not going to rush it out the door to meet some publishers deadline. They want a quality game more than to hit some arbitrary deadline.

But know this, they are pushing hard, very hard, to get it done with quality ASAP.

Since you backed, several big and great changes have pushed back the timeline.  Things like the race/class split have added time to the initial estimate.

5.8 is going to be from all appearances, a very playable game though.  

Wow two of these in one day. 

People must really want something to do over Christmas holidays now that Fallout has shall we say, fallen out. :rolleyes:

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

41 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Wow two of these in one day. 

People must really want something to do over Christmas holidays now that Fallout has shall we say, fallen out. :rolleyes:

Did you quote yourself?  Excellent! 

1 hour ago, Atome said:

Are we any closer to a release? We are almost at the year anniversary for the previously scheduled soft launch date end of 2017, how much longer do we have to wait?

You need to fortify yourself with some realistic expectations and use the fact that you have more access than most backers. To answer your question, yes they are closer.  Every day they get a little closer.  Eventually the game will be done.  Eventually I will be able to drop a bane stone on your tree of life, scream an elvish battle chant and burn your assets down.  Is that day today?  Nope.  Is it tomorrow?  Nope.  That day will be here soon(tm).  

13 hours ago, mandalore said:

Did you quote yourself?  Excellent!  

Yea, the original was "Liked" by an ACE staff member, so the quote links to that so it's clear I'm not talking out of my rear orifice. 

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

14 hours ago, Frykka said:

lawl…   a game takes 4 to 5 years no matter how much wishing the devs and the backers do...   

Wayyyy closer, full game loop this patch yet still missing some major stuff...   

I'll toss this out...  Full Alpha in Spring, Full Beta this summer, Soft Launch next Fall, Commercial Campaign at Christmas season 2019.

4 year Development.

That being the case as i mentioned why were we being told soft launch end of 2017? 1 Year later and still no soft launch, so you can see my motivation for the question.

If you want an answer more objective, you could make a fast list of things still to do.
You can check the lists of the different aspects of the game from "What is Crowfall?" and "FAQ" web sections and you'll easily realize that, apart from fixing bugs, optimization, and balance, there are very few things that are not already ingame.
So, as Mandalore said, yes, release is "closer".

10 minutes ago, Thevo said:

If you want an answer more objective, you could make a fast list of things still to do.
You can check the lists of the different aspects of the game from "What is Crowfall?" and "FAQ" web sections and you'll easily realize that, apart from fixing bugs, optimization, and balance, there are very few things that are not already ingame.
So, as Mandalore said, yes, release is "closer".

That sounds like effort and thought, something foreign to the OP.  

@AtomeThey were wrong to give unrealistic timelines at the start of the KS and the follow up soft launch; if you were more active or did a cursory search you would notice they no longer do things like promise dates for release.  You paid for higher access to the game and boards but don’t utilize the tools you specifically paid for.  Sad panda is sad. 

59 minutes ago, mandalore said:

That sounds like effort and thought, something foreign to the OP.  

@AtomeThey were wrong to give unrealistic timelines at the start of the KS and the follow up soft launch; if you were more active or did a cursory search you would notice they no longer do things like promise dates for release.  You paid for higher access to the game and boards but don’t utilize the tools you specifically paid for.  Sad panda is sad. 

No need to be so rude and defensive,.

Your rude then completely contradict yourself by rationalizing a change of delivery by them, which is what i am responding to with my question, not my fault they made false promises. I just asked if we were any closer due to said false promise.

@Thevo thanks for your response.

Edited by Atome

2 hours ago, Atome said:

That being the case as i mentioned why were we being told soft launch end of 2017? 1 Year later and still no soft launch, so you can see my motivation for the question.

Does a kickstarter campaign asking you to fund it sound viable hype-wise in 2015 that says completion in 2019?   Did you also buy Ashes in 2017 expecting a 2019 release?   Funding drives have to sound overly optimistic in delivery in order to get literal "buy-in", without that initial optimism any kickstarter indy game would fall flat.   Lesson learned by age.

I haven't logged into it in a long while, I keep track of the updates on youtube though and it looks like it's becoming a game.

I don't want them to rush, but Summer does seem like a long time away for an estimated guess. WOW Classic releases around then also.

I just want a version where there will be no more wipes and something to invest time into.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:21 AM, Frykka said:

Does a kickstarter campaign asking you to fund it sound viable hype-wise in 2015 that says completion in 2019?   Did you also buy Ashes in 2017 expecting a 2019 release?   Funding drives have to sound overly optimistic in delivery in order to get literal "buy-in", without that initial optimism any kickstarter indy game would fall flat.   Lesson learned by age.

Yeah but when we put out $ in 2015 BECAUSE they stated it would be in beta in 2016 and released in 2017, we expect that to happen or in many cases feel lied to and scammed, losing trust in the game and the developers. This is trust that in some people's eyes can never be regained, and it's evident by responses on YouTube videos and other gaming forums all over the web.

If you put $ down on something else in 2015 because you wanted to get the first 2017's released and in 2019 you were still waiting you'd be screaming bloody murder.

Saying they "have to lie" to get buy-in is pretty damn sad and a poor reflection on the entire industry.

1 hour ago, znick said:

Yeah but when we put out $ in 2015 BECAUSE they stated it would be in beta in 2016 and released in 2017, we expect that to happen or in many cases feel lied to and scammed, losing trust in the game and the developers. This is trust that in some people's eyes can never be regained, and it's evident by responses on YouTube videos and other gaming forums all over the web.

If you put $ down on something else in 2015 because you wanted to get the first 2017's released and in 2019 you were still waiting you'd be screaming bloody murder.

Saying they "have to lie" to get buy-in is pretty damn sad and a poor reflection on the entire industry.

It's a part and parcel of capitalism to be overly optimistic in advertising your ideas to investors.   You cannot put together a business plan and project timeline really until you know how much you may be working with.   Once the numbers settled in 2016 and the race/class split big reveal happened, 2 years ago, we all knew that even 2018 was overly optimistic.  Paying attention is on you though.  It is 2018 and we actually have a campaign game loop and a full effort on fixing bugs, that is no small thing.   

Edited by Frykka

I think 5.8 marks the end of pre alpha and move into the alpha phase :P so thats something.
I suspect beta will happen around mid next year maybe May times with patch 6.0
and you probaly expect a release around Oct/Nov im gonna guess.
Beta usualy not too long though generaly speaking thats usualy final tweakes and things though so maybe 3-4 months of beta but thats a guess

Edited by veeshan

5 hours ago, veeshan said:

I think 5.8 marks the end of pre alpha and move into the alpha phase :P so thats something.
I suspect beta will happen around mid next year maybe May times with patch 6.0
and you probaly expect a release around Oct/Nov im gonna guess.
Beta usualy not too long though generaly speaking thats usualy final tweakes and things though so maybe 3-4 months of beta but thats a guess

I do seriously hope they move into alpha soon. It will really be nothing more than a name change for everyone who has been following the game but it will be really good to put an end into the 'This game still in pre-alpha!?' thing.

5.8 is also looking good and the first campaign milestone would go really well with some light marketing on getting into alpha. Hmm, the videos they have planned would also work quite well... Two birds, one stone.

While it is getting closer there are still some big ticket items which we have not seen yet, some have been discussed/teased recently and others have not.

- Mounts

- Caravans

- Guild Management

I would agree that 5.8 feels better compared to past versions, however there are still a some nagging issues. I don't know if it is just me, but I have issues with my camera/orientation snapping to a random position when turning, its not all the time but occurs enough that I expect it. I would also like to see how the character progression is going to work in a realistic environment when we can't just buy levels with free gold/resources. We already have a limited power set but hiding many of those powers and customization behind a level gate seems likely to further diminish the new player experience. I'm still of a mind that the rate at which gear/tools degrade needs to be slowed down as it definitely feels like a 2 steps forward 1.5 steps back. Yes I am aware that better tools/training will mitigate a lot of those issues, but it does little to help the new player experience, and as we all know if the new player experience is trash then we will have empty servers in 2-4 months.